SC 2 bans SP cheaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, of course it's like that. I could put up with needing a unique key, but no LAN games period is a pain in the ass.

It still doesn't mean that you blacklist their keys.  It's just retarded.  It's not like they're re-distributing it or anything.  Just ban them from the achievements. 

I'm more protestin' that they're doing this with their powers.  Not the actual banning, but rather the fact they can, is what ticks me off. 

Aren't games for fun? 

It's not like starcraft is a profession or anything. 

If some insecure 11 year old kid wants the achievements, so what?  We're talking about the spirit of the law versus the letter of the law.  It's still a game.  It's point is still enjoyment.  So ban them from it forever?  Or just make them spend an extra $60

It might be in a single player game, but they are hacking to affect the online parts and other players of the game. There would be no argument if this happened in WoW and people hacked them some of the achievements with rare special titles and mounts, with no gameplay effects. It would simply ruin the point of trying to get the achievement, as anyone could get it. Where's the E-peen!? While there are probably less focus on the achievements in SC2 community, being able to hack achievements basically ruins that aspect of the game for everyone.

Austupaio said:
There are no in-game cheats, that's the thing, Blizzard banned people who modified DLLs and the executable.
Because I clearly shouldn't be allowed to modify files on my own hard drive.

Pjoo said:
It might be in a single player game, but they are hacking to affect the online parts and other players of the game. There would be no argument if this happened in WoW and people hacked them some of the achievements with rare special titles and mounts, with no gameplay effects.
That's because WoW quite sensibly doesn't have anything on the client machine you can hack to do that. Presumably SCII does, in which case it's Blizzard's incompetence which is the problem, not people cheating.

At both Archonsod and Bolkonsky..

They're allowed to do whatever they want with your key as soon as you agree to their EULA. Don't like it? Don't agree to the EULA by not buying the game. The EULA is legally required to be available for anyone to read prior to purchasing the game.

Actually they're not. The EULA is not a formal contract, and even if it were a contract cannot supersede the rights granted to you by law. EULA have no legal basis whatsoever, whether you're provided with it before purchasing or not. They'd need a service contract to do that, but then of course they'd have to admit they're providing a service.

Are they not? I figured they were considering how easy they are to find for pretty much any game before you buy it. On the other hand, even if a EULA isn't legally binding, they carry a lot of weight in American courts. Just like most contracts that have no real legal basis, American Judges will usually give people, or companies, a lot of leeway if a signed piece of paper is in their favour.

Austupaio said:
Are they not? I figured they were considering how easy they are to find for pretty much any game before you buy it. On the other hand, even if a EULA isn't legally binding, they carry a lot of weight in American courts. Just like most contracts that have no real legal basis, American Judges will usually give people, or companies, a lot of leeway if a signed piece of paper is in their favour.

Even so, along with "Is Blizzard allowed to do this?", there is question "Should Blizzard be doing this?"

Archonsod said:
Pjoo said:
It might be in a single player game, but they are hacking to affect the online parts and other players of the game. There would be no argument if this happened in WoW and people hacked them some of the achievements with rare special titles and mounts, with no gameplay effects.
That's because WoW quite sensibly doesn't have anything on the client machine you can hack to do that. Presumably SCII does, in which case it's Blizzard's incompetence which is the problem, not people cheating.
Uhm... What?
Because Blizzard's game allows for hacking, that means it's their fault people are doing it? (Btw, can that be used as an argument versus God if you go on a killing spree? ^^) Ok, might be partly true, but it doesn't mean they can't punish people for hacking. While the legal issue might mean that, they can basically keep doing that until someone succesfully sues them for it.

You know, they gave a public warning some months prior to the banning that they were about start; yet people kept cheating.

Why would you defend the idiots?

Austupaio said:
You know, they gave a public warning some months prior to the banning that they were about start; yet people kept cheating.

Why would you defend the idiots?

I don't. I just pointed out the legality wasn't the only issue. I, for one are happy. While the best portrait might be ridiculously easy to get, those who actually bother speding countless of hours getting the rarer portraits actually get reward from it.

Pjoo said:
Because Blizzard's game allows for hacking, that means it's their fault people are doing it?
It's not hacking. The trainers edit memory addresses. The question is what kind of muppet allows for an exploit that was once popular. In the seventies.

:lol:

I'm not defending the cheaters, I'm protesting the whole situation.

The best of both worlds is people can cheat, they just disable their achievements. 

Blizzard has gone waaaaaay over the top here. 

They told everyone who played Starcraft II in a giant community notice like three monthes ago that bans would start soon. Those who had already cheated would be fine, provided they stop before Blizzard starting doing checks. People kept cheating, they got banned; I don't see the problem.

Bolkonsky said:
:lol:

I'm not defending the cheaters, I'm protesting the whole situation.

The best of both worlds is people can cheat, they just disable their achievements. 

Blizzard has gone waaaaaay over the top here.

People can cheat. It does disable achievements. These people chose to cheat in a way that doesn't disable the achievements, apparently in effort to get the achievements.

The point is that leaving MP  stuff on the HDD is stupid because people WILLL cheat, and they WILL find a way of doing it without blizzard knowing.

It's like if warband used the item stuff from your own native folder instead of the server - I could easily change my free sword to 999 damage.

Austupaio said:
There are no in-game cheats, that's the thing, Blizzard banned people who modified DLLs and the executable.
There are in-game cheats. You type them into the chat bar.

Pjoo said:
It might be in a single player game, but they are hacking to affect the online parts and other players of the game.
Then they should include the option for it not to. There are quite a few people who couldn't care less about achievements or multiplayer.

Those cheats don't count for anything though. As soon as you lose them, the mission doesn't even count as having been played.

What do you mean have an option for it not to?

Austupaio said:
Those cheats don't count for anything though. As soon as you lose them, the mission doesn't even count as having been played.
Does that prevent you from going on to the next mission?

Austupaio said:
What do you mean have an option for it not to?
As in, they should let people use hacks without it affecting the online aspects of the game.

Back
Top Bottom