Salt mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Adorno said:
But all the troops are still making money in the mine as opposed to being in your party.
It's more profitable to place an army there, since they make money and the place can't be besieged.

It's a win-win  :smile:

that's my thought too

and about escaping, the only time it happened to me, i had around 200 prisoners and 150 guards. now i try to maintain a 1.1 to 1.25 ratio between prisonners and guards

if i have 100 prisoner i put 125 guards, atm i'm close to 1000 prisonners with 1200 guards, and none escaped in that current game since i'm using the salt mine

and since there is NO operating cost for guards stationed in saltmine
(no salary afak in my game  : no guard wages deducted from the mine income and no mention from the weekly salary report in version 1.21 which only show your garrisoned troops and party. Make some test to proove it, just move someone from your party to the mine, the party wages will lower and the mine income will remain the same)

not sure if it is a bug or a plan feature but saltmine can therefor be used to store high lvl troops that wont cost anything in wages
, that's 10000 gold/week which is like 20 times the income of high tier workplace from towns like iron workshop (which cost far more to set up for those most profitable linen, iron, hide and so on workshops) when 20 iron would cost 70.000 gold to set up

just choose tier1 troop as guard, 10gold for the basic recruitement cost
each prisoner will earn you 10 gold a week (i generally just put all the prisoners that cant be sold at the ransom broker over 100 gold in the mine, rest i sell them)
so basically in 1 week each guard investment is refund by each prisoner in the mine

lordrrm said:
Best way to make money though is to build a workplace in a town with cheap resources or place cheap recources in the inventory
of the place. It can get you up to 900-1000 profit each weak per workplace. If you place an iron works (often the best investment) for example you will earn back the 3500 investment in a month. This is the big money maker on the long term and allows you to create a steady income which you can cross of against a steady wage for large armys in several castles or your party.

i dont agree with that point of view, since the best ROI business is actually the salt mine and none of the manufacturing business in this mod. Best manufacturing like linen, hide, iron... will generally give you an average 500 gold/week IF you dont find yourself the cheapest raw materials. Those manufacturing can give you average ROI but as soon as you have many to operate it is much pain to travel map to provide raw materials to all so you quickly forget that and just leave them operate automaticly. This is why saltmine remain the best to make money.

Generally you need :

- 1.5-2 month to get to the return on investment point for a iron-manufacturer
and not 1 month like previous op said, unless you found yourself the materials, but to get close to what will 1k prisonners earn you you will need 10 iron manufacturer at least if you plan to supply them with cheap iron each week (good luck i guess you aint bored travelling the map just for that :lol:) or 20 iron manufacturer if you choose to not supply yourself, and of course 35k or 70k + the gold spent on the business if you purchase cheap iron, when 35k is quite some money in your first weeks.

- more like 2-3 months for linen and hide, when you need just not even 2 weeks for prisoners&guards at the salt mine,

plus your income based on manufacturing can be freezed by war (when your manufacture is in a hostile city) when mine income will never be halted

it is quite easy to get 1000 prisonners (just hunt the bandit and theow groups, since they sell cheap at ransombroker just use them for the salt mine. They generally come by group of 40-50 when you are at a decent lvl), and 1200 guards cost close to the price of 2.5 iron manufacture to hire.

I put 50 guards of highest tier into the mine ad 42 slaves. I get 320s a week. This means salaries for guards are extremly low  0_0

Monolito said:
I put 50 guards of highest tier into the mine ad 42 slaves. I get 320s a week. This means salaries for guards are extremly low  0_0

It is like a castige for guards is here. They get less money and they have guard slaves, for that motive you lose morale when add guards here.

I never saw my men losing morale after I put them in the mine. Did You add such feature in 1.3?

Idbil, please tell us all You know about salinae. Is a guard's salary deducted from the cash that slaves make? If yes then how high is a guard's pay there? What's the best guard : slave ratio which prevents slaves from escaping? Does the tier of the guards matter or can I put simple pesants as guards?

Salt mine information

-Escapes rate - if you have a guard by prisoner, escapes rate will be smallest. Tier arent best guards than medium level troops.
- If you add guards to mine you lose morale (add 1.3 version). Nobody want live here.
-If you add prisioners to mine, you lose honour. Live conditions are very low here.
-Each prisioner can produce 100 scillingas/week
-Each Guard cost more or less 10 scillingas/week.

trinkof said:
I usualy play as a lord of pengewrn.... it's so easy to be rich :grin: There is really a disadvantage to be far from salinae.

I know you don't want to add more of them around the map, but : maybe add the option to send prisoner to salinae by ransom broker in tavern, (but to add guards, you would have to put them yourself)... ?
Would it be possible to place more saltmines, but if you have men in one, you can't send men to the others?
And if you take all the men out of the first mine, you may put them to one other mine again.

so i decieded to try out the saltmines... i have 16 prisoners there and i forgot about it... next thing i know i get my earnings.... 40,000,000 coins..... HAHAHAHA!!!

its obviously a bug but my god!!!

trinkof said:
I usualy play as a lord of pengewrn.... it's so easy to be rich :grin: There is really a disadvantage to be far from salinae.

I know you don't want to add more of them around the map, but : maybe add the option to send prisoner to salinae by ransom broker in tavern, (but to add guards, you would have to put them yourself)... ?

Another suggestion could be to get rid of the salt mine and make Village Elders able to accept a certain number of your prisoners to work in their fields - obviously it would need limiting to avoid it being exploited, so maybe make them expendable (IE worked to death by the village after a certain amount of time) - a limit on the number of Elders able to accept your prisoners would probably be needed too, maybe one Elder per faction?  Or maybe a numbered limit. 

I was also thinking about prisoners the other day, and (once you own a fief) being able to use them to speed up improvements, again maybe make them expendable, and have your staff advise how many can be used per improvement.

prisoners ('slaves') in fields idea is a good one, maybe different cultures to u r own can grow discontended

i posted this in the bug repport as wel but didn't get an answer: everytime i go in or click on anything in the salt mine i lose 2 honour and some party morale. Why?

manekemaan said:
i posted this in the bug repport as wel but didn't get an answer: everytime i go in or click on anything in the salt mine i lose 2 honour and some party morale. Why?

I have same problem, so i have to miss the salt mine.

Is it normal I only get about 10 schillingas per prisoner? I reckon that should be more.. Especially when you have >1000 prisoners working there..

(I have 1600 prisoners in it and get 12 to 15k every time)

Back
Top Bottom