S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nahkis said:
Could someone kindly enough post the system requirements? I've been looking forward to this.

System requirements
What are the recommended system requirements for the game?

AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ or Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gb RAM, 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectXR 9.0c compatible 256MB (Geforce 7800, for example).

It should be noted that at the start of the game development our initially targeted system requirements were much lower. As a result (and due to the lengthy game development) the game can be played well on lower-end systems (the game ships with two renders - DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 one).

Additionally, the game allows to scale various options for optimal performance. For the maximum quality and performance, the more powerful system you have, the better.

Going by that (and given the targetted specs when development began) I'd think 1 Ghz Processor, 512Mb Ram and a 128Mb 3D card (not sure if Pixel Shader is required, but 1.0 would be the max with a dx 8 render), though I doubt it would look pretty. I'll know more once I can test it myself.

Archonsod said:
The original had things like the Blowout, which happened at random and sent everything running for cover. The gameworld was supposed to be more dynamic - you could get sent to find a particular artefact, only to find that some other Stalker had grabbed it and you need to track them down to recover it. You start tailing him, find out he's been killed by mutants and they've made off with the artefact, then ran into a military patrol who've secured the artefact and are taking it back to base.
They seem to have switched to having mission goals and similar scripted, before the goals were assigned semi-randomly, depending on how the game developed.

Do you still need to find somewhere safe to sleep, or have they removed that too?

Wow.  The game is pretty good but that would have made it unbelievable.  :sigh:

Side missions are generated somewhat randomly, but they are very basic go and fetch or go and kill and don't offer any real variety and aren't open-ended like what you described.

Sleeping isn't in the game as far as I have found ... which stinks because night = difficulty multiplier of 10.

Narcissus

Bloodsuckers are scary at night, when invisible. One came up from behind and bit me in the neck, so i turned around and emptied an entire clip into his torso before he dropped. Needless to say, they're even worse when you fight them in a abandoned silo with a knife. Anyone else found Gordon Freemans body?

TheDrunkenMoron said:
Anyone else found Gordon Freemans body?

PICS! (from google)

kazekill032507163221l06hl5.jpg

sslexvision032407234619lz7.jpg

Narcissus said:
Drink a bunch of vodka ... it is incredibly funny.  The more you drink the more it disorients you.  Great stuff!

Narcissus

Yup even after one vodka it gets hard to hit anything. Several and you better start running and not shooting. =)

ArabArcher35 said:
Narcissus said:
Drink a bunch of vodka ... it is incredibly funny.  The more you drink the more it disorients you.  Great stuff!

Narcissus
They had alcohol effects in the origional Everquest.
As I recall they had alcohol/shroom effects in Rise of the Triad (ROTT) which vastly predates either of those, but such things are always fun. They might have had those effects in other games even before ROTT, but it was the most memorable. :smile:

EDIT: OK, so I just checked and it's only a "shrooms" effect, but it's a similar concept. From the Wikipedia article on ROTT:
Shrooms Mode - Makes the player appear to be on a bad drug trip. The view wavers all over the place, and enemies and items are just colored silhouettes.
Two rather humorous bonuses included the Democratic and Republican bonuses, of which there were two each. The Republican bonuses were awarded for acquiring all the missile weapons and for destroying all of the plants on the level; a jab at Republican environmental policy. The Democratic bonuses were awarded for not using handguns and for using all of the "shrooms" powerups on the level; the former is a jab at the party's association with gun control and the latter reflecting the party's lenient attitude towards drug use.
:smile:
ROTT was based on a modified Wolfenstein engine and was released in 1994.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread too much here.

I don't wanna derail it either..... but there was a mission in Mafia where you had to assassinate a guy on a ship and in the bar y9ou could drink wine and get drunk....

And do you think S.T.A.L.K.E.R would run on a 2.4 Ghz Celeron D, 512 Mb DDR 400, Geforce 6200 256Mb ram???

DJNad said:
And do you think S.T.A.L.K.E.R would run on a 2.4 Ghz Celeron D, 512 Mb DDR 400, Geforce 6200 256Mb ram???
Should do, you might want to up the system Ram though. And unlock the extra pipes on that 6200.

According to the original design, Vodka was essential to cure radiation poisoning. Russian conventional wisdom at the time of Cheynobyl believed consuming Vodka would protect you from the effects of radiation. Scary but true.

I'v was looking at this game a while ago. But I just got bored.. I'll probaly buy it, sounds great. Oh and do the other STALKERS have little camp sites and sleep? I also heard that you could ally with some group of stalkers etc. Is this true?

Oh and use this to find if you computer can run it - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Edit:The specs. of  Stalker arn't added yet.. oops

In the beginning of the game the encumberance is a real pain, as heaps of guns are needed for bartering. It was until I realised it is possible to use cropses as luggage bags. Just dump all unnessary stuff into the body then drag it to the trader. You can run like hell when endangered too. Truly helps gathering supplies in Cordon.
BTW, do anyone know where I can find Gordon Freeman? If possible I'd like to see him alive.

Back
Top Bottom