[S] Magus Mod for M&B:WB [REL]

Users who are viewing this thread

There's a serious discussion on Varangians-Vikings, as the matter is pretty sensitive to Russians and Eastern Europe (first, Varangians are supposedly ancestors to Russians and, second, they occupied that problem area of Southern-Eastern Baltic), meaning it's hard to find the truth under the mountain of political games. In addition the very term Varangians is about as doubtful as Celts, for example. And so on. Meaning it would look really silly, should we start a serious argument over the thing here. I do agree that Vikings were involved in some events in Russia and perhaps were called "Varangians" at times, though it appears certain that in most cases Varangians were Southern Baltic Slavs, not Scandinavians. There's quite a number of sources to prove the fact, and as far as I know there are no sources which would hint to Vikings' adevntures in Russia at all. Which in my opinion is very logical, given Vikings were a western oriented culture, operating in the relatively rich western Europe, and surely had little interest in Russian steppes (While Varangians are known to have fought Mongols, for example... Can you really imagine Vikings in that role? I can't).

Oh... I just took a look at wikipedia's articles on the matter. Amusingly Russian and English articles don't coincide at all. It's the first time I see such a sheer difference between their articles in different languages... Yeah, the question seems really sensitive.

well vikings did infact go east just as much as they went west (in fact they went as far east as the caspian sea. Their boats were very suited to rivertravel and they used it alot.
They went as far south as the byzantine empire as well, and they didnt go though the straights of gibraltar to do so.

but i wont be sucked into this discussion. If you still want to discuss this ill just sick the hounds of swedish archeology on you :razz:

Oh and varangians has been a term used for most seafaring (and riverfaring) folk in the area of russia, so that would include vikings AND baltic slavs.

*grins* I believe I am armed well enough to face the archeologists, and might bring some high tier troops for the battle too.  :twisted:

Alright, just kidding. Not going to start another Northern War. Peace.  :wink:

Only one last consideration. Factions should hire only assuredly aboriginal troops from their own villages. Vaegir might just hire Vikings where they are born, in Nords' villages, all the more they are so close (and normally taken by Vaegir already).

Anyway, it's particularly why I suggested to use abstract/fantasy terms in the game, as it would save you from the always ambiguous matters of the real history.

yes, but the whole nation setup is abstract already... who sais the nords are vikings?

also, just because "vikings" are nords, doesnt mean theyre not also indigenous to the vaegir lands...
just look at the nordic kingdoms of the viking ages... swedes and danes both were "vikings" and yet they fought eachother...

also, the term Viking itself is abstract... it was used by the english to describe seafaring raiders that came from the east... and some of them were germanic in origin... but they were still called vikings...

Oddball_E8 said:
Their boats were very suited to rivertravel and they used it alot.
This is a common misconception. Because of the deep keel, the longboats were very well suited for sailing, but not travelling through rivers. Only the deepest rivers could take the boats (or the keel would have dug itself into the riverbed) and they often had to be pulled from men on land even then. Travelling along rivers with longboats was a very slow affair, and any raids coming that way would have been amply preceeded by warnings well in advance. And while it is true that vikings traded extensively along rivers, they made good use of local boats, and log-boats were popular in this respect. You can talk to the Norwegian hounds of archaeology, if you like. :wink:

Pretty much all "traditional" terms are very doubtful, artificial, misplaced, misunderstood and so on, at times they are plain insulting to the subjects or were meant to insult (I don't even speak of the fiction and "historical" movies that corrupted the terms to most people eventually). But often those terms are all we have nowadays and we still need some names to call the things. Whoever called them "vikings" we still know what people we're speaking of, roughly at least. It's more tricky with "varangians", of course, as the term is more vague and interlaced with political matters.... Though we have drifted far away from the original topic already. My idea was pretty simple: cleanse the game terms to fit into the overall "mild fantasy" style and avoid doubtful references and direct conflicts with the real world stuff.

Kissaki said:
Oddball_E8 said:
This is a common misconception. Because of the deep keel, the longboats were very well suited for sailing, but not travelling through rivers. Only the deepest rivers could take the boats (or the keel would have dug itself into the riverbed) and they often had to be pulled from men on land even then. Travelling along rivers with longboats was a very slow affair, and any raids coming that way would have been amply preceeded by warnings well in advance. And while it is true that vikings traded extensively along rivers, they made good use of local boats, and log-boats were popular in this respect. You can talk to the Norwegian hounds of archaeology, if you like. :wink:

I've actually dragged a longboat in Denmark and eventhough it smelled like sh*t (we used bait-fish to lubricate the wood underneath the keel as well as the slipway) it was not that hard going. Current archaeological generalisation in Sweden (as far as I know) is that most places with the word "drag" in (as in Dragör in Denmark) were places where people would get out of their boats and drag (nice when a word works in several languages) them across land. And, again, as far as I know, a longboat had a very shallow draft because of the way it was built. The one we dragged across land in Denmark only went about half a meter deep when fully loaded. Couple that with the fact that the ships could be propelled by oars as well as sail and add another fact which is that in certain parts of northwestern Sweden they still build river/lakegoing rowing boats which are built along the same principles as longboats and I would say it's extremely likely they could go along rivers without any discomfort.

lonan said:
Pretty much all "traditional" terms are very doubtful, artificial, misplaced, misunderstood and so on, at times they are plain insulting to the subjects or were meant to insult (I don't even speak of the fiction and "historical" movies that corrupted the terms to most people eventually). But often those terms are all we have nowadays and we still need some names to call the things. Whoever called them "vikings" we still know what people we're speaking of, roughly at least. It's more tricky with "varangians", of course, as the term is more vague and interlaced with political matters.... Though we have drifted far away from the original topic already. My idea was pretty simple: cleanse the game terms to fit into the overall "mild fantasy" style and avoid doubtful references and direct conflicts with the real world stuff.

I can't see the problem here. You say that people a squeamish and that the matter has been politicized, yet the only one who has mentioned this is you. The scandinavian term "Väring" is the etymological predecessor of the word Varangian. The fact that Ibn Fadlan uses that name for the "vikings"(now there is a word with very weak etymological sources) he meets on the shores of the Volga would suggest that it was a common, if mispronounciation, name given to these people from Scandinavia druing the 10th century.
Anyway, most of the terms used to try and explain different cultures/societies in history is based on qualified guesses at best and folklore/mythology/19th-century romanticizing at worst. Are, as an example, the Saxons who supposedly invaded England (Horsa and Hringa in mythology) during the post roman era actually the same people as later Saxons? Are the Celts really one group of people?
What does the term Viking imply? I'm extremely interested in, what we in Sweden term, cultural meetings. That is, how cultures behave and change when faced with other cultures.

Long story short: When anyone meets or sees someone alien to them their culture changes and evolves. There are no pure cultures and never has been. To accomplish that that particular culture would have to be situated somewhere remote where noone would ever see or meet them. A recent example would be the native village discovered by National Geographic in the Amazon. As soon as that airplane flew over and the men of the village saw it and started firing arrows at it their whole beliefsystem changed.

Nor does cultural influences depend on whether or not a group is opressed in other areas (e.g. judicial and/or military).
The classic example being the movie "Deliverance" where the stereotypical picture of how white people in the southern states of the US are. Still, the guy on the porch playing a banjo is actually playing an instrument brought to the US by slaves and as far as the porch goes....well that's a typical trait of west-african architecture.

In other words, no point in arguing. If you don't like the fact that people make a mod using quasi-real cultures, then don't download it.

Oddball_E8 said:
Kazzan said:
I'm intrigued why you chose that particular name for the mod... Any reason?

The troop trees look okay, though there's gonna be alot of mercenary captians running around in my party and not enough soldiers for them to order around...  :razz:

i picked the name after a long time of tossing ideas back and forth between me and my friend... couldnt really find a good and simple name since all i did was add/change units.
Then i finally realised id base it off my name... wich is magnus... and magnus comes from magus wich means great in latin so i thought it would do well for a mod...

like i said, im still testing it myself, but ill add pictures soon... maby this week or next week since ive been ordered to stay home from work by my doctor for the rest of the week.

No it doesn't. Magnus means great in latin. Magus means magic.

A_Rude_Gesture said:
Oddball_E8 said:
Kazzan said:
I'm intrigued why you chose that particular name for the mod... Any reason?

The troop trees look okay, though there's gonna be alot of mercenary captians running around in my party and not enough soldiers for them to order around...  :razz:

i picked the name after a long time of tossing ideas back and forth between me and my friend... couldnt really find a good and simple name since all i did was add/change units.
Then i finally realised id base it off my name... wich is magnus... and magnus comes from magus wich means great in latin so i thought it would do well for a mod...

like i said, im still testing it myself, but ill add pictures soon... maby this week or next week since ive been ordered to stay home from work by my doctor for the rest of the week.

No it doesn't. Magnus means great in latin. Magus means magic.

Oh dang, i stand corrected... oh well, i guess its the "magic mod"* then :razz:
*magic not included

A_Rude_Gesture said:
Kissaki said:
Oddball_E8 said:

I've actually dragged a longboat in Denmark and eventhough it smelled like sh*t (we used bait-fish to lubricate the wood underneath the keel as well as the slipway) it was not that hard going. Current archaeological generalisation in Sweden (as far as I know) is that most places with the word "drag" in (as in Dragör in Denmark) were places where people would get out of their boats and drag (nice when a word works in several languages) them across land. And, again, as far as I know, a longboat had a very shallow draft because of the way it was built. The one we dragged across land in Denmark only went about half a meter deep when fully loaded. Couple that with the fact that the ships could be propelled by oars as well as sail and add another fact which is that in certain parts of northwestern Sweden they still build river/lakegoing rowing boats which are built along the same principles as longboats and I would say it's extremely likely they could go along rivers without any discomfort.
Yes, longboats had shallow drafts, but deep keels to compensate. It is the keel that causes trouble in the shallower rivers. And sure you can build smaller clinker-builts which would easily sail on just about any river, but those aren't longboats, and do not need the same size keel. We still build them in Norway too, by the way.

A_Rude_Gesture said:
lonan said:
Pretty much all "traditional" terms are very doubtful...

I can't see the problem here...

It's because you trust Wikipedia too much (all the more I noted above that Wikipedia's article on this exact matter is particularly doubtful, which is right because the question is that sensitive). Read some serious books or talk to some professionals. Might be a good idea to read my posts too, if you so want to respond to them. I apologize for stating it, but you have missed the point. Also I neither understand nor accept your poise. I said it outright that I welcome the author's approach on the mod (why would I speak of a mod I dislike in principle, after all?). As for the discussion on Varangians-Vikings, it's rather irrelevant, obviously has little to do with the mod. Hopefully I am clear enough, and you won't start an argument over nothing.

lonan said:
A_Rude_Gesture said:
lonan said:
Pretty much all "traditional" terms are very doubtful...

I can't see the problem here...

It's because you trust Wikipedia too much (all the more I noted above that Wikipedia's article on this exact matter is particularly doubtful, which is right because the question is that sensitive). Read some serious books or talk to some professionals. Might be a good idea to read my posts too, if you so want to respond to them. I apologize for stating it, but you have missed the point. Also I neither understand nor accept your poise. I said it outright that I welcome the author's approach on the mod (why would I speak of a mod I dislike in principle, after all?). As for the discussion on Varangians-Vikings, it's rather irrelevant, obviously has little to do with the mod. Hopefully I am clear enough, and you won't start an argument over nothing.

Well, if you didn't want to start an argument you shouldn't be that patronizing, hinting that I found information on Wikipedia.
Actually I have a bachelor in both archaeology and history at the university of Lund and am currently working on my masters degree in archaeology with cultural meetings as my major point of interest. I'm actually tired of snotties who, without presenting any credentials as to their own knowledgebase, think that everyone finds their information on wikipedia. I didn't think I'd have to put in my sources, but when it comes to the general view of cultural behaviour i would recommend a book called "In small things forgotten" by James Deetz. Eventhough it pertains to cultural behaviour during the 18th-19th century in the US it's still a great introduction to cultural archaeology and history. If you want I could give numerous other books pertaining to the same subject (which, btw, are part of the archaeology course at the university of Lund) but as I understand from your reasoning that you are not that familiar with how cultural archaeology/history is viewed at swedish universities I think that would be a good book to start with.

And since you have no, to my knowledge, valid point in your agument in regards to the whole Varangian question, nor did you present any base for your views other than saying that it's a delicate matter (which it isn't) I would very much like to know the sources of your information. It's easy enough berating other people's views, but to present a valid argument oneself seems a tad hard in your case.
This leaves me with only two options of viewing you and your posts. Either you are not a part of the university level research OR you are some sort of nationalistically inclined person who chooses to view events through the dim glasses of national romanticizing.

Either way, don't belittle and berate a person and then try to blame the person for starting an argument, when in fact he tries to finish it.
How would you like it if someone made statements that you know for a fact is wrong, while gleefully calling you unknowlegable and then states that if you disagree you are a troll? Grow up!

Kissaki said:
A_Rude_Gesture said:
Kissaki said:
Oddball_E8 said:

Yes, longboats had shallow drafts, but deep keels to compensate. It is the keel that causes trouble in the shallower rivers. And sure you can build smaller clinker-builts which would easily sail on just about any river, but those aren't longboats, and do not need the same size keel. We still build them in Norway too, by the way.

Agreed. Your point is valid and I think the main problem here is that, to my knowledge, it's a bit scetchy as to what is actually meant by a longboat. But I accept your reasoning on this matter.

hey thanks for the new version, is it compatible with warband 1.124? I updated my WB today and I can't seem to run this mod, worked fine on my older version

hmm... looking at the patch i see that amongst other things, troops have been updated witch means i would have to redo the whole mod... ill keep this for version 1.1...

sorry guys...

Back
Top Bottom