[S] Magus Mod for M&B:WB [REL]

Users who are viewing this thread

Kazzan said:
I'm intrigued why you chose that particular name for the mod... Any reason?

The troop trees look okay, though there's gonna be alot of mercenary captians running around in my party and not enough soldiers for them to order around...  :razz:

i picked the name after a long time of tossing ideas back and forth between me and my friend... couldnt really find a good and simple name since all i did was add/change units.
Then i finally realised id base it off my name... wich is magnus... and magnus comes from magus wich means great in latin so i thought it would do well for a mod...

like i said, im still testing it myself, but ill add pictures soon... maby this week or next week since ive been ordered to stay home from work by my doctor for the rest of the week.

As requested, here are a couple of screenshots (these are of the swadian faction only)
2dhtndf.jpg

2ngho1x.jpg

2chxqtv.jpg

9zt534.jpg

289difq.jpg

ww16k1.jpg

mubift.jpg

x372pe.jpg

15sah6f.jpg

119bjnt.jpg

2wmmgb8.jpg

6omqoh.jpg

2vt381s.jpg

b8p7vo.jpg

i use both... whats wrong with the green one? (and you'd better come up with something other than " i dont like it" since im not making this mod for your benefit)

it doesnt fit MY rhodoks better... have you tried the mod or are you just commenting on the pictures?
ive changed the rhodoks completely you know...

then you should know that not very many Rhodoks use mail with surcoat (in fact i think only the Alamani mercenaries use them, if any)

Something funny going on with your download, I click download at m&b repository and it opens a troop.txt file. Any chance of merging custom commander with this mod, would then be probably the best around :smile:

theres nothing funny about it... the mod in its entirety is just the troops.txt file...
for now...

ive never tried the commander mod so i dont know what id have to do to make it work, but i suppose it should work without problems if you first install the commander mod and then my mod after that since my mod only changes the troops and none of the game mechanics...

yup... it means its compatible with alot of other mods (of course, if those mods add weapons and armour to the game no troops will use these new items)

thats only for the moment though... i will be releasing a new version with new armours and new warhorses (and possibly new animations)
all of these new additions will be things already released by others as open source items but i just added them for variety.

Hi

I'm interested in your mod cause I want to merge it with Custom Command ... it's the most awesome mod for the games mechanic but no troop change. And your seems to be very good for troops (I don't test it, but the comments let me know it's exactly what I want)

But it's not possible to just replace troops.txt cause the mod (CC) use some personal unit ... with the troop editor tool (Mod Tools) the list troop have number, my question his can I merge the two files with winmerge, the order of lines are important? or the troop upgrade stay the same if the order of lines change? I never modding so I don't really now if it can works or not ... sorry for my noobism

well all the "new" units are added at the end of the troops list... so i dont know how that would work... if its identifying units by using their number in the lineup then i dont know... you could certainly try tho. (or contact the author of the commander mod since i think it would be easier for him to merge them than it would for me since he knows the internal mechanics of his mod and i dont)

Oddball_E8 said:
theres nothing funny about it... the mod in its entirety is just the troops.txt file...
for now...
Wait a minute... are you saying all that fancy-schmancy armour is already there (but dormant) in native Warband? :eek:

Edit: evidently not, as the Gothic lancers in that troops.txt file only list regular full helms and vanilla plate armour. It seems Morgh's editor weeds out references to non-existent items. These screenshots seems a bit dishonest, to be frank, as I would expect to get what the screens show.

i look forward to the upcoming release, would it be too much though if you could add something like a script where your soldiers don't automatically charge into battle and just wait for a command?

A neat thoughtful approach, my compliments. Though I'd like to point out some issues. Your troops are a weird mix of ethnic and social terms. For example Sarranids got Janissary, Ghulams and Mamluks, while it's pretty much the same thing just used under different names in different cultures: slave-based military. Which also means a troop can't become that type due to advance (yeah, the original Native has that flaw too). The usage of actual ethnic terms looks odd too. Why do you have Alans and Pechenegs, for example, if the rest of peoples in the game use fantasy names? Why would one change his nationality as he upgrades? (And Alans should belong to either Vaegir or Khergit, not to Sarranids in any case. Alans are Sarmatic people, originating from Southern Russia and known to have activity in medieval Europe and Caucasian Mountains). I wouldn't give Vaegir Vikings either, even though I understand your reasons there. It's a common mistake, mixing Vikings and Varangians, while they are two different things (In case M&B designers really derived Vaegir from Varangian, I am impressed). Then I find your decision to base Swadia on England rather doubtful (although it's a matter of taste, of course). To me Swadians are indeed Germans (the very term Swadia sounds very Germanic and, I believe, is a direct reference to Schwaben). I am not sure about Rhodoks, they have always been a mystery to me, though given the original setting that states Rhodoks' "orthodoxy", yes, Byzantine sounds about right, though maybe it should also include more of Roman/Italian culture, maybe something Venetian and such... All in all, I'd suggest (in case you care to hear my opinion) to replace all the terms directly borrowed from the real world with something more abstract, or change them somehow, and to rework those that make no sense at all.

well tell you what... im more or less just gonna release this next version and then let it rest as i delve into the world of APB for a while...
if you want to you can certainly continue my work.

oh and as for the vikings and varangians, im from sweden and most of my friends have studied history and archeology and i can tell you right now that russians used viking troops (and troops of viking origins) and they were called varangians (amongst other names.) in fact, the term "Rus" was used to describe men from the area of present day nordic countries of sweden, denmark and norway. ie. vikings.

of course the term varangian was used for alot of seafaring folk, not just "vikings" but i used the term none the less...

Back
Top Bottom