Roman Empire - info etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

I didn't include tier 1 in the screenshots but Byzantine peasants also have their own outfits.

othr said:
You mean you want it like this: ὁπλίται?

No, but writing "Hoplitae" is plain wrong. It should be "Hoplitai", the proper Greek plural. "Toxotai" intstead of Toxotae, "Cavalaroi" instead of "Cavalarii", etc.

By the way, as far as I know, the word "hoplitai" to describe heavy spearmen was outdated in the XIIIth Century. They were often referred as "Skoutatoi". although the word also applied to light spearmen with big shields, usually oval shields.

Cèsar de Quart said:
othr said:
You mean you want it like this: ὁπλίται?

No, but writing "Hoplitae" is plain wrong. It should be "Hoplitai", the proper Greek plural. "Toxotai" intstead of Toxotae, "Cavalaroi" instead of "Cavalarii", etc.

By the way, as far as I know, the word "hoplitai" to describe heavy spearmen was outdated in the XIIIth Century. They were often referred as "Skoutatoi". although the word also applied to light spearmen with big shields, usually oval shields.

As far as the first is concerned, you are very correct. However, virtually all the sources I used, and pretty much anywhere I can find reference to them, the Latin forms are used. In my opinion it could go either way, especially given the prevalence of Latinized forms of the names in English.

Hoplitai does indeed describe heavy spearmen in ancient times, but it didn't refer to them exclusively. The term was originally derived from the type of shield, but over time it pretty much turned into the common Greek term for armored infantry. Skoutatoi, which like you said refers to the more specifically Byzantine type of infantry, are called Hoplitai in different sources.

@Amundr: Good work on the tree, looks great.

@Othr: Awesome looking units.  :grin:

Well, what I can do is use the Latin form and in parenthesis use the Greek term in cyrillic.  It really doesn't matter to me as I can more or less read both.

OK this is the last one, an attempt to recreate this image
swordsman.jpg

The armor in game could use a bit more detail/texture however it's a pretty good replication of the picture.

Kinsume said:
The armor in game could use a bit more detail/texture however it's a pretty good replication of the picture.

The armour in game already has a lot of detail. I guess the normalmap is not `polished enough and that makes it a little hard to distinguish details.

i also think the armor has all it can get from the engine. if you want more buy taleworld the CryEnging2 and all of us fans a highend PC  :mrgreen:
i think this mod gets the best of the game and think you still have some old textures from M&B in WB native they really stick out.

long text short. i love the new textures and models from this mod

get all factions his own armours?  when yes then i can say increrible! öm how big get this mod? OO 1gb? :grin:

Cèsar de Quart said:
The armour in game already has a lot of detail. I guess the normalmap is not `polished enough and that makes it a little hard to distinguish details.

I think that goes for a lot of the stock textures. I'm looking at the byrnie dds right now and the mail texture looks pretty good, but in game...not so much.

But to return to the original topic, those Byzzie units look fantastic...except for the Phrygian cap on the cataphractoi...but that could be swapped out in troops.txt, right?

Hey could you modify the byzantine village troop tree to include a melee troop, since most of the recruits will be from villages i always end up with 80 or more ranged troops (from village recruits) and only around 20 infantry (from towns), and the ranged units suck in melee and are pretty much useless in sieges

Or better yet, you could give the peltastae and acritae a short sword instead of the small knife

Oh and the byzantine scale armor looks really awesome! Also Adrianople castle scene is amazing!

ntb_15 said:
Hey could you modify the byzantine village troop tree to include a melee troop, since most of the recruits will be from villages i always end up with 80 or more ranged troops (from village recruits) and only around 20 infantry (from towns), and the ranged units suck in melee and are pretty much useless in sieges

Or better yet, you could give the peltastae and acritae a short sword instead of the small knife

Oh and the byzantine scale armor looks really awesome! Also Adrianople castle scene is amazing!

I added a short arming sword for peltastae and acritae, now they are more usefull and match for the european village troop tree, its not overpowering either since they get killed easily due to lack of decent armor and lack of power strike, maybe you could add them in the next release?

penquin11 said:
IKOONI you my man are AMAZING, great job getting all the research for 1257ad!

Haha, why thank you.

@ntb: That could be a good idea, especially considering if you haven't gotten the hotfix yet, then only like three cities in the game will actually give you Byzantine recruits.

ntb_15 said:
ntb_15 said:

I added a short arming sword for peltastae and acritae, now they are more usefull and match for the european village troop tree, its not overpowering either since they get killed easily due to lack of decent armor and lack of power strike, maybe you could add them in the next release?

They have javelins and will use them in melee and they're skilled at it (if they don't run out).  Still don't mess around my stuff :razz:

othr said:
ntb_15 said:
ntb_15 said:

They have javelins and will use them in melee and they're skilled at it (if they don't run out).  Still don't mess around my stuff :razz:

Oh, i didnt know the ai was capable of using javelins as melee as well, thats more than enough, sorry, no more messing  :twisted:,

Back
Top Bottom