Repairing Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

So how exactly does the weapon maintenance skill work? If a weapon breaks, do you keep it in your inventory until it is repaired, much like horses that are wounded in battle?

A weapon that breaks in combat is automatically repaired after battle, but looses its positive modifiers. A Heavy Battle Axe would turn into a Battle Axe.
Those then you can rebuy at the blacksmith in towns.

Also keep in mind that weapons with negative modifiers will break more often than plain weapons. A weapon with a positive modifier (at least in my experience) will never break during a battle, at worst it might suffer damage and lose its positive modifier.

I'm not entirely sure how it actually works in terms of code, but what I understand is this: when it says break, it means damaged. Your weapon has a chance of being damage when in use on the battlefield (I noticed my weapons only get damaged when I strike a tree or a unit that is blocking). When your weapon gets damaged, it gets taken down a modifier. So if I had a Balanced Sword, and it got damaged, it would become a Heavy Sword. If it got damaged again, it would become just a Sword (but blacksmiths refer to it as Plain). If it is damaged yet again, it becomes Chipped Sword. Then Rusty Sword. If you reach the final negative modifier for a weapon and it gets damaged again, the weapon is broken permanently - as in removed from your inventory.

To repair items, you only have to go to any town's weaponsmith and ask them to refine your weapon. Refining weapons costs peningas but every time you refine something, it goes up the positive modifiers. So refining a Rusty Sword once gives you a Chipped Sword. Refining it again gives you a Sword. Then Heavy Sword. Then Balanced Sword. Then Tempered Sword.

And like I said I don't know how the Weapon Maintenance skill actually works, but as every level makes your weapon 7% less likely to break, one can assume that at level 10, your weapon is 70% less like likely to break than if you hadn't had any points in the skill. I don't know what the base chance to break is, nor if the nature of the strike affects it (like a powerful high speed bonus strike from horseback getting blocked), nor if the chance is specific to the item you are using. Since Weapon Maintenance is also a party skill so I don't know if it also affects the breaking chance for all the troops in your army. It should, though.
Very commonly when you fight a load of bandits, you'll see yellow sparks fly out of the fray occasionally - this is a weapon breaking in the hands of a troop, leaving him defenseless. I think bandits commonly carry poor quality equipment, as that is what you tend to loot, so that's probably why it happens so often with them.

Hope that answers your question.

Armour can also get damaged, but it's incredibly uncommon, at least in my experience.

TheBarbarian said:
Thanks for the replies, so I was way off on the whole horses thing then.

Do unique weapons (Elfseax, Draugandil (?), Bandit King Sword) get damaged at all?

I've never actually seen swords break in any of my playthroughs. The only weapons that broke on me were my 2h/1h long axes.

Unique weapons get damaged. The most frequently damaged weapon for my character is his spear - called Ray, bought from any special blacksmith. Even though I always bring it back up to Balanced it tends to get damaged in fights quite often. Swords...only very rarely get damaged for me. I don't use any other weapons so I can't say for them.

On a side note I renamed Ray to Elite War Spear, because I found it weird that all my companions also have a spear called Ray.

1) weapons and armor can lose quality (be damaged/degrade) in combat if you have that option enabled on Camp -> Options

2) You can pay the weaponsmith/armorsmith to "improve" them, making them somewhat "better" and more durable.

3) The skill "weapon maintenance" will reduce the chance your gear will be damaged. Remember it is a party skill, so you can increase it on a companion instead.

4) Player gear will degrade (lose quality) until it is at the worst possible, then it breaks. AI bots will simple break.

5) AI gear won't have permanent effect. So you do not need to worry about your companion weapons losing quality.

6) Lastly: if a weapon breaks that AI bot will be more likely to run away

Back
Top Bottom