Removing stun locking

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think that it should be turned on by default to either 5 or 10 (I've got mine on 10). It's a damn fantastic option. It also slightly balances the game if you're going up against a really armoured opponent with a fast weak weapon (you won't be able to repeatedly stun him). And the obvious fix of being surrounded by enemies with yourself not being able to do anything but sit there while being pummeled for a full minute before your death.

Unfortunately it only works in melee ground combat, if you're on a horse or you get hit with a ranged attack you will still be stunned by that damn 1 damage rock. I'd love for armagan to fix this.

Toxicity said:
Do it effect the A.I. as well?

Of course.

Never tried it out, but it would be horrible if the enemy wouldn't get stunlocked when
you hit them.  :shock:

:razz:

Most don't have much armor,
so setting it at a low number
means that a heavily armored
knight can avoid getting swarmed
by peasants.

Still, there's a reason that the default
is what it is - and that's so that one can't
just plow into hoards without thinking.

Toxicity said:
Do it effect the A.I. as well?

Never tried it out, but it would be horrible if the enemy wouldn't get stunlocked when
you hit them.  :shock:

Not really. You hit them for 3 damage and they shrug it off, then they hit you for 3 damage and you shrug it off.

And yes it does apply to them.

Why bother with stunlock changes if you can just use cheats for god mode. Modifying stunlock to make this game even easier is a crutch you shouldnt have to use.

Once youre done with your training wheels I recommend you turn it back to default so you can play properly... as intended.

Just remember that most games (especially MMOs) arent so customizable, youll be forced to play by their rules and the game will change constantly from patch updates that  you must adapt or get whooped.

Oh yeah just to be clear on the term "stunlock" for those that are confused.

When you take damage greater than or equal to that setting then youll be interrupted aka "stunned".
The recovery time is added to your attack speed making your retaliation less swift.
Stunlock is the state of being hit constantly so your locked in a constant stun.

Being stunned is no problem and happens to the best warriors, only chumps get stunlocked... cause they asked for it.

Whoopin said:
Why bother with stunlock changes if you can just use cheats for god mode. Modifying stunlock to make this game even easier is a crutch you shouldnt have to use.

Once youre done with your training wheels I recommend you turn it back to default so you can play properly... as intended.

Just remember that most games (especially MMOs) arent so customizable, youll be forced to play by their rules and the game will change constantly from patch updates that  you must adapt or get whooped.
It isn't a cheat when it effects both the player and NPC and especially when it means that if a peasant hits a knight in full plate with a rusty skinning knife that knight isn't going to act like he just got hit by a sledgehammer.

Stunlocking often happens when the player is surrounded by peasants, without support of other troops. To me stunlocking is basically a representation of the peasants surrounding and tackling your armored ass to the ground. Sounds fair to me.

Doesn't make much sense some enemy accidentally hits you and doesn't even scratch you and yet somehow you get knocked back 2 feet.

An4Sh said:
It isn't a cheat when it effects both the player and NPC and especially when it means that if a peasant hits a knight in full plate with a rusty skinning knife that knight isn't going to act like he just got hit by a sledgehammer.

It really is a cheat because it changes the original design to make the game EASIER for the player regardless if it makes it less difficult for opponents - especially when most of them arent even wearing plate armor.

Its like granting yourself free denars... but its only cool if you gave some to the NPCs too? Yeah whatever.

Players get stunlocked only when they deserve it (that includes being overwhelmed by enemies, wrong place at wrong time is YOUR mistake). Claiming a peasant cannot interrupt/stun a opponent with a rusty knife vs plate is tunnelvision. The primary reason he even did some damage is cause you got stabbed and it hurt, couldve stabbed you right in the face, between the plates, or even right in the arm intercepting the incoming axe - bottom line is you failed to not get interrupted during your offense.

If it was a sledgehammer you would get stunned and possibly knocked down - interrupting by causing pain with a crappy weapon is the first line of peasant defense... any Master Knight would have to agree with this.

Only reason Im replying to this thread is cause it seemed others werent certain exactly what stunlock is and decided to "FIX" it, well they are only breaking their glorious game by playing it on wimpy mode. Also I dont want this to be a trend or thought to be acceptable by the norm and included in a patch update - if this setting gets weakened too much then it wont make this game any better.

D'Sparil said:
Stunlocking often happens when the player is surrounded by peasants, without support of other troops. To me stunlocking is basically a representation of the peasants surrounding and tackling your armored ass to the ground. Sounds fair to me.
Right on! Power to the Peasants!!

An4Sh said:
Doesn't make much sense some enemy accidentally hits you and doesn't even scratch you and yet somehow you get knocked back 2 feet.
Thats why i said representation. When i get stunlocked (wich never happens, because im not dumb enough to rush to the middle of the enemy army) i dont think "zmog rusty knife vs plate = stun? hax!". You are surrounded by enemies, they can do whatever they want with you, such as, like i said, take you down and stab you in the weaker parts of the armor.

And i agree with Whoopin, the game is easy enough already, removing stunlocking makes it even easier.

Whoopin said:
An4Sh said:

It really is a cheat because it changes the original design to make the game EASIER for the player regardless if it makes it less difficult for opponents - especially when most of them arent even wearing plate armor.
Most of them don't wear plate BUT most of them wear at least mail armour which is probably what most players who fight on foot use so players receive the same amounts of damage so if you try changing the stunlock you will quickly notice that you can't save your self with a very weak attack from an axe to your head, it can make the game easier against certain units and much much harder against others.

Players get stunlocked only when they deserve it (that includes being overwhelmed by enemies, wrong place at wrong time is YOUR mistake).
You still die when you get overwhelmed by enemies(even peasants) since you can't actually survive 20 hits of even 1 damage each second so it doesn't really help against mobs.

Claiming a peasant cannot interrupt/stun a opponent with a rusty knife vs plate is tunnelvision. The primary reason he even did some damage is cause you got stabbed and it hurt, couldve stabbed you right in the face, between the plates, or even right in the arm intercepting the incoming axe - bottom line is you failed to not get interrupted during your offense.
I doubt someone would react that way to getting "poked" in the center of his breastplate by a rusty knife and causing 0 ingame damage and with 0 meaning it caused no damage at all why would you feel so much pain as to stop swinging a 4 kilo sword at your enemies neck?
Even if you feel pain you would be surprised how much pain you can ignore when in a fight.

If it was a sledgehammer you would get stunned and possibly knocked down - interrupting by causing pain with a crappy weapon is the first line of peasant defense... any Master Knight would have to agree with this.
Assuming the peasant can cause so much pain to make a heavily armoured soldier react in such a way.

Also, since you will barely if ever see peasants by the time you become so uh "technologically advanced" you won't care much about getting swarmed with peasants.

Are you trying to justify your current changes to stunlock? Cause its obvious youre playing on wimpy mode.

LOL I played this entire game up to level 32 and never even thought of changing stunlock cause its perfectly fine as is. Even ran a few solo village raids long before this thread was created to test and challenge.

0 damage means you got nailed/countered/slammed/knocked back but didnt tap into your HPs so you get interrupted but no damage. If they miss then you receive 0 damage and no stun.

That formula is flawless and shouldnt be changed unless you cant compete.

Whoopin said:
Are you trying to justify your current changes to stunlock? Cause its obvious youre playing on wimpy mode.

LOL I played this entire game up to level 32 and never even thought of changing stunlock cause its perfectly fine as is. Even ran a few solo village raids long before this thread was created to test and challenge.

0 damage means you got nailed/countered/slammed/knocked back but didnt tap into your HPs so you get interrupted but no damage. If they miss then you receive 0 damage and no stun.

That formula is flawless and shouldnt be changed unless you cant compete.

Whoa, someone sure talks the talk. I'd like to see you walk the walk as well.
Stunlock sucks because it's just not realistic. No knife in hell is going to stop the swing of a bardiche, you can argue all you like, it's pure physics, the blade is powered by momentum and is going to split the skull you were aiming at no matter if someone has just poked you with a dagger.
It's perfectly reasonable to be hit in a fight (ever been in one?) and still be able to control what you're doing.

Now, stop saying whimp to aggro everyone.

Zathan

What? You want a Whoopin gameplay video? Cause I can deliver - you might even L2P by watching my example.

Wimpy gameplay is the best description, sorry if it sounds harsh but its the absolute truth. Dont get hit and you wont get stunned, if you do get hit then make sure you dont get hit again and you wont get stunlocked. Its really not that hard, play the game anyway you want since its single player, but dont claim its broken or needs a patch fix cause that utter rubbish that caters to scrubs.

Its funny to see who replies to this thread cause even attempting to argue with me proves your playing wimpy mode and you cant compete with vanilla settings that arent even difficult. Im positive a large majority of veterans completely agree with me after playing this game too much.

Heres a fixed quote that I completely agree with (even though we all know Naridill has been hit in the head too many times):

Naridill said:
Nethack is an awesome game.

Also, I pity the whimpering arses who set stun threshold to greater than normal.

And yeah, Nethack is an awesome game.

Edit: Notice the spelling error in the code? They spelled "threshold" wrong.

Whoopin said:
What? You want a Whoopin gameplay video? Cause I can deliver - you might even L2P by watching my example.

I'm sure you're friggin 1337 mate...

Wimpy gameplay is the best description, sorry if it sounds harsh but its the absolute truth. Dont get hit and you wont get stunned, if you do get hit then make sure you dont get hit again and you wont get stunlocked.

I'm not usually one for utter realism, but in this case I argue for realism, see post above for reasoning. And your 'bleeding obvious' answer to the issue isn't impressing me; it's like saying 'if you don't wanna get drunk, then don't drink'. Very easy to say, not quite so easy to follow in reality is it now?

Its really not that hard, play the game anyway you want since its single player, but dont claim its broken or needs a patch fix cause that utter rubbish that caters to scrubs.

Didn't claim it was broken mate, I simply spoke my view on an imbalance (and annoyance) IMO that can now be recitified at the player's convenience. It's still a BETA game remember, if you've been around for any amount of time, you'd know the game has changed in a variety of ways, so purr-lease climb down from your high horse pretending you have all the correct answers.

Its funny to see who replies to this thread cause even attempting to argue with me proves your playing wimpy mode and you cant compete with vanilla settings that arent even difficult. Im positive a large majority of veterans completely agree with me after playing this game too much.

'Wimpy mode' is something you've invented in your head, and not someone anyone else has to live up to. Your whole attitude reeks of elitism. Stop it. And stop implying decent players are wimps just because they don't play the game the way you'd like them to.

Edit: Notice the spelling error in the code? They spelled "threshold" wrong.
Just what the forum needed; another grammar nazi.

Edit: For the record, I do play the game at the hardest settings; I choose to change the stunlock to apply over 5pts of damage because it is a stupid feature.

Oh, and my replies in red if anyone wondered.

Zathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom