Removing Formations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Vympel

Grandmaster Knight
I am not too familiar with formations modification , how do I go about removing it ? I am trying to custom mod this to make it more realistic formations make barbarians rather less savage .Centurions should be required to assemble formations on roman side but I dunno how to do that yet . Any help would be appreciated .

Realism needs the use of formations yes the romans were highly trained troops but your so called barbarians used formations to great effect such as shield wall and the wedge at this time. The Saxon's were renowned for there use of these formations.

Nah not for me , when enemy troops get into formations they act like a cloud of fish stumbling around the field and rather easy to kill. I want an all out savage barbarian charge on my lines which I have implemented in my edit and Romans have proper uniform and much higher wages then barbarians.

fifer71 said:
Realism needs the use of formations yes the romans were highly trained troops but your so called barbarians used formations to great effect such as shield wall and the wedge at this time. The Saxon's were renowned for there use of these formations.

Good point on that one. I was going to diable it myself, but eh... too fun  :wink:

The shield wall and boar's tusk are great ideas, a faction specific formation set would be a great addition... There is a difference between a shield wall and the current rank and file formation btw.  Of course proper implementation would require some decent animation work and I don't know what that would entail. Not an expert on roman tactics, but would the Roman Tustedo be applicable here? That would rule methinks...

Only formation that truly bothers me is the wedge formation for cavalry. Never has picking off cavalry been this easy...

You just make sure the leader follows, and everybody else will as well :smile:

But in general, whenever the enemy uses formations, he makes it much easier for me to kill him. I'm not saying the idea of formations is bad, I'm just saying the A.I is waaay too stupid to use it in any sort of advantageous way. Even under player control, your units tend to move around stupidly in formations.

In short, I never use formations, because in not doing so, I give myself the advantage on the battlefield.

Thats why i don't have formations in my version of this mod and its hard. If anyone is interested i have a reworked version of EAW that provides some resemblance of a challenge.

mb2.jpg

mb1.jpg

Nah you cant say that unless you try it , maybe I'm the only one who likes a challenge here .Enjoy your fantasy roman bliss. 

Vympel said:
Nah you cant say that unless you try it , maybe I'm the only one who likes a challenge here .Enjoy your fantasy roman bliss.

We are playing a game, so unless this mod magically makes you travel back in time to fight alongside the Romans, then you are still enjoying "fantasy roman bliss".

He's right you know, formations in their current form really mess up the AI.

They spend an inordinate amount of time milling around trying to maintain a perfect formation.

I've had AI troops encounter a rock 10 feet from my archers and stop to perfect their formation while my men shot them all.

While I love the idea of formations in M&B, the code isn't mature enough yet.

The rest of this mod is awesome though, I remember reading Jack Whyte's books as they were released, thoroughly enjoyed them.

Back
Top Bottom