Rate ranged/foot troops in castles and towns

Users who are viewing this thread

Rankine

Recruit
What's the rate between ranged and foot troops that you use to keep your castles?
I usually use 60% ranged and 40% on foot, but with villianese I'm using 70% ranged and 30 on foot, what do you think?

I usually try to aim at a 66%/33% divide, crossing the line -slightly- if the ranged troops are villianese high chiefs or otherwise ranged troops that are highly capable in a melee. The black army assaulters and ravagers have good armor, decent ranged weapons and decent melee capacities for example. Similarly, serpent host soldiers combine ranged and melee often, like the khergit and zerrikan. I hate going up against Khergit for that reason. If I see 50 swadian sargeants, I know they'll stand there and swallow arrows, khergit lances shoot back - and hard, similarly with the nord troops, though they are better at melee due to their weapon choice.

So if I took the time to raise khergit, black army or nord armies, or when playing villianese, the garrisons may look very different than when I'm playing adenian side and use vaegir and elephant guard auxilliaries

so, it all depends.

though if I can staff a castle with 50 raven captains and 50 basilisk knights, I would be very happy.

A good ratio is very important, and depends on your homeland, personally I prefer a 2:1 ratio of Melee to ranged though this is just for regular troops and regiments, special units like slave masters or nobles are added more like a class of their own.

Usually, my garrison consists of 1/3 Marinian infantry and 2/3 Marinian crossbowmen. The infantry only exists to take care of the few lucky people surviving a Marinian bolt shower.

Back
Top Bottom