[RANT] WTF are you doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

When do you think you will be done with this game in another century? Theres so much to work on and you are working on everything at once. (and im not talking about different teams working on different stuff) You are trying to appeal to competitve players and casuals and then fail at both. (theres the singleplayer aswell)

We also have many new features currently in the development pipeline, such as the ability to find and add Recently Played Players as friends, forming Clans in-game, Ranked Matchmaking, new maps and more.

Which leads to the first topic. Ranked Matchmaking its not really something we necessarily need right now. The combat and balance is not on a level to support it in any ways at the moment.

Combat
I dont know why there are no combat changes (looking at the actual beta aswell), its the core of the game and it feels like its still in alpha. Alot of changes get spoon feeded by experts, most of them are just XML tweaks aswell. Its like writing an essay in english and you have a bunch of native speakers around you but you dont accept their help. Just look at the shield changes, the combat parameter thread or Charlinis thread. Maybe the team responsible needs more ressources aswell? Half of the community already has quit because of that alone. The veterans can tell you, what makes the game more fun and how to balance it.

SBMM
Why dont you implement Skill-Based-Matchmaking for Skirmish first and then based on that implement a ranked system. TrueSkill could work for that very well. It would protect newer players from getting stomped and let higher skilled players have some fun. Other games implemented SBMM and it works very well just look at another role based game, like league. The queue time will only go up for more experienced players.

The complaints about SBMM are just nonsense “But i cant get my 30 Kills for my montages anymore” or “the games are too sweaty”. To counter that you can just sprinkle a bit of randomness (ik you luv that) on the queueing range and create the illusion of casual games. Even if this wasnt in place there are still casual gamemodes as options out there. (siege and captain) BR games dont have another gamemode, but look at the devastating results of epic games removing SBMM. But the playerbase is not big enough? If this was in place on release (along with other basic things), it would have never shrunk down that much. Furthermore it worked for WBMM aswell, it just needs to be adjusted according to the collected data.

An alternative for that would be a beginner protection till lvl 10. If one of the premades is above level 10 the protection will not activate.

Ranked Talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOVLBbYlU0

Casual
If this game was never meant to appeal to the competitive community, but the casual one where is Conquest, the one holdfast got, (battle is just a ****tier version of that) mode? Where are classes like sapper etc. to support a game like that? It would have been possible to create maps for that or generally more maps. But instead all that mapper talent got wasted on singleplayer maps. (we got 100-200 of them like srly) Its like letting senior devs work on documentation, just outsource that **** to the community. The mapping tools exist for 6 years now, cant tell me they are not working. The creators can just write their names on the map for putting it in the game, like mordhau funders. Its nice for the community to discover these easter eggs aswell. To not get trash maps, just introduce a greenlight system on discord, mordhau did the same and only if the maps have, lets say 100 greenlights they get forwarded to you. Quests could be handled in a similar way. It would free up some ressources at least.

Same with hosting servers, why dont you let the community test whats good for the game and whats not. Netflix and google test and experiment alot till they find the perfect look. The community would do all the work for you and all you gotta do is sell it, thats it. Its just retarded to not do it this way.

Skins
Why change the look of the units 20 times, just let them be customizable. Everyone can see if the armor is a heavy or a light one, or which weapon the enemy got. If he got heavy armor and a bow hes probably a heavy archer. If heavy inf picks up a bow he got heavy armor and a bow aswell, it doesnt change anything for the player. The whole community would have appreciated that, by far more than what we got now. Its the income of any competitive game aswell. Singleplayer already supports that why do it in any other way. If you ever want to finish that game you need to allocate the work efficiently. At this point creating the game is like building the fkin pyramids and you are building them with 30 people. Good luck, enjoy your crunch years.

Communication
A good point despite all of that is the good communication from the devs now. Probably makes them as the best dev team, so theres a bit of hope left.

Theres so much to work on and you are working on everything at once. (and im not talking about different teams working on different stuff) You are trying to appeal to competitve players and casuals and then fail at both. (theres the singleplayer aswell)
This may come as a shocking surprise but most games are designed for broad appeal. TW isn't going to quarter off portions of the market (casual players) or shun their most dedicated fans (most competitive players).

Which leads to the first topic. Ranked Matchmaking its not really something we necessarily need right now. The combat and balance is not on a level to support it in any ways at the moment.
I can't give good feedback because the most effective gameplay for me in 95% of solo matches is to couch lance into the enemy team on cooldown because they won't stop me. If there was matchmaking I'd get placed against better players and actually be playing the game. Right now most players can't operate basic game mechanics and have zero awareness. That's a serious problem when attempting to test a game.

Combat
I dont know why there are no combat changes (looking at the actual beta aswell), its the core of the game and it feels like its still in alpha. Alot of changes get spoon feeded by experts, most of them are just XML tweaks aswell. Its like writing an essay in english and you have a bunch of native speakers around you but you dont accept their help. Just look at the shield changes, the combat parameter thread or Charlinis thread. Maybe the team responsible needs more ressources aswell? Half of the community already has quit because of that alone. The veterans can tell you, what makes the game more fun and how to balance it.
This is fair, but we can only assume that they're working on combat (including working with animators to make changes) and that process takes time. They really need to listen to combat experts and include them in the process. If all of the top players in a game say that there are problems with the mechanics the devs should listen. But perhaps they have, and perhaps they're working on it, just very slowly.

SBMM
Why dont you implement Skill-Based-Matchmaking for Skirmish first and then based on that implement a ranked system. TrueSkill could work for that very well. It would protect newer players from getting stomped and let higher skilled players have some fun. Other games implemented SBMM and it works very well just look at another role based game, like league. The queue time will only go up for more experienced players.
I agree. However, comparing League's several million player MM system to a several thousand player system isn't going to work very well. The only way to create a good MM is to implement a version and test and improve on it. There's no climate in other games like there is in m&b and the only way to discover what works is to test it.

The complaints about SBMM are just nonsense “But i cant get my 30 Kills for my montages anymore” or “the games are too sweaty”.
I have never heard either of these.

To counter that you can just sprinkle a bit of randomness (ik you luv that) on the queueing range and create the illusion of casual games. Even if this wasnt in place there are still casual gamemodes as options out there. (siege and captain) BR games dont have another gamemode, but look at the devastating results of epic games removing SBMM. But the playerbase is not big enough? If this was in place on release (along with other basic things), it would have never shrunk down that much. Furthermore it worked for WBMM aswell, it just needs to be adjusted according to the collected data.

An alternative for that would be a beginner protection till lvl 10. If one of the premades is above level 10 the protection will not activate.

TW already has plans for Quick Play (casual) and Ranked (competitive). I'm guessing that QP will have no matchmaking so players can pubstomp to their hearts content while Ranked will have MMR -- probably TrueSkill although I think standard elo would work fine. Most games have separate MMR and rank, and creating a custom ranked system for Bannerlord is something that TW will have to test in iterations with many players on live servers. Again, the M&B system is like no other as we have many totally new players and then Warband vets who will be untouchable until new players have several thousand hours in the game.

Beginner protection is standard and that sounds like a quick solution.

The mapping tools exist for 6 years now, cant tell me they are not working.

Same with hosting servers

Because mapping tools and especially server hosting would completely break every patch.

Skins are planned but a long way out. After your earlier suggestions surely you can see why this should be one of the last things to be done.

Both casual and competitive are suffering at the moment, because of the game state.

The combat is the most important aspect of the game, i assume most of the programmers are fixing singleplayer glitches. The animators are just making idle animations. (but the animations are mostly great anyways)

There was a huge outcry in apex (majority of the streamers were crying) and fortnite aswell (they removed it even from fortnite) Theres a statement about SBMM from an apex dev aswell in the video. TW already had their ranked experience through WBMM, at least a chance to learn from it.

The mapping doesnt break?

The servers would need to be updated after each patch obviously. But they are patching their own servers aswell? A web interface for admins should be fine aswell. (the community probably will update their custom admin tools fast enough anyways; some of the modders hardly sleep)

The skins shouldve been already implemented from the get go. You can see how much skins were already swapped and changed.

This game is a huge let down. Warband was so much better. The MP community is all but dead already which is an incredible fall in less then 6 weeks. It feels so sluggish and slow compared to warband... and the class system was designed with a random number generator picking the choices. I had 5 friends buy the game, one got a refund and the other 4 won't even play with me anymore. We all played Warband together for years. I hope Taleworlds takes its "broad appeal" and chokes on it.

I love Bannerloard too, it is much easier to play with friends and fun. I highly recommend the developers should focus on the ranking system. I don't really play single player, and I assume most of the people like me(college student, do not have plenty of time for gaming) won't have time for playing single player. We just want to spend a couple of hours with friends online during the weekend.
I believe you can make a matching system like dota2 and Csgo, it can attract more people and make the game more competitive. I am very frustrated playing with new players in captain mod, and it is a waste of time for me.

they could just take the easy way out and let custom servers be a thing where i as a owner pick what map i want, what rotation i want, how many players i want on each map and mode and also.....wait for it.... CHOOSE TO HAVE NO CLASS SYSTEM

Ive resigned from caring about what Taleworlds does for the immediate future. Just have patience. Let them **** around with whatever casual modes they want, and eventually the competitive community will just be able to create our own mod for the high skill ceiling gameplay and reasonable gamemodes that we want.

If they want to shove skirmish and whatever other class based things down our throats they are welcome to do so. In doing so now they ensure that they lose any control over the balancing and testing of competive gamemodes in the future. The MP community is filled with extremely talented people and we will almost certainly just be creating what we want ourselves without any input from the developers which we have largely lost faith in.

Ive resigned from caring about what Taleworlds does for the immediate future. Just have patience. Let them **** around with whatever casual modes they want, and eventually the competitive community will just be able to create our own mod for the high skill ceiling gameplay and reasonable gamemodes that we want.

If they want to shove skirmish and whatever other class based things down our throats they are welcome to do so. In doing so now they ensure that they lose any control over the balancing and testing of competive gamemodes in the future. The MP community is filled with extremely talented people and we will almost certainly just be creating what we want ourselves without any input from the developers which we have largely lost faith in.
i like the skirmish mode, they just rework everything 10 times from scratch without taking small steps to improve it. Just take the armory as example how often the light there got reworked. They are just running in circles at this point.

Hi,
there were so many complaints about combat that no one actually knows where the problem is.
The only things that come to my mind are
-block delay
-chambers are useless
however I learned to calculate the block delay into fighting. And maybe I even like it. Combat feels actually good after 100h+

They should do this in next 2 months:

Balancing Range/Inf/Cav
-Increase spear damage to horses (Inf vs Cav Buff)
-Increase shield size against arrows slightly (Ranged vs Inf Nerf)
-Enable teammate bumps (Cav vs all Nerf cuz they cant yolo into fights)
-Increase arrow damage to horses slightly (Ranged vs cav buff)

Balancing the Factions
-Buff Battania

Give Content
-Maps
-Skins

and the Game will be very awesome. After that they can start minor balancing.

Hi,
there were so many complaints about combat that no one actually knows where the problem is.
The only things that come to my mind are
-block delay
-chambers are useless
however I learned to calculate the block delay into fighting. And maybe I even like it. Combat feels actually good after 100h+

They should do this in next 2 months:

Balancing Range/Inf/Cav
-Increase spear damage to horses (Inf vs Cav Buff)
-Increase shield size against arrows slightly (Ranged vs Inf Nerf)
-Enable teammate bumps (Cav vs all Nerf cuz they cant yolo into fights)
-Increase arrow damage to horses slightly (Ranged vs cav buff)

Balancing the Factions
-Buff Battania

Give Content
-Maps
-Skins

and the Game will be very awesome. After that they can start minor balancing.
battania is already decent they have average winrate aswell... might wanna look at khuzait first

edit: i already stated that you can get used to block delay (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...rd-duels-predictions-vs-reality.421358/page-2), they still should improve it for newer players. Because it is especially frustrating when you start out. If they ever nerf shield hp to 1h, which they should, blocking will become more important. We are here talking about very small changes, in the range of 10-100 miliseconds

Last edited:
I love Bannerloard too, it is much easier to play with friends and fun. I highly recommend the developers should focus on the ranking system. I don't really play single player, and I assume most of the people like me(college student, do not have plenty of time for gaming) won't have time for playing single player. We just want to spend a couple of hours with friends online during the weekend.
I believe you can make a matching system like dota2 and Csgo, it can attract more people and make the game more competitive. I am very frustrated playing with new players in captain mod, and it is a waste of time for me.
Pretty much anyone who is competitive right now is playing in 6 stacks on discord just a heads up .

Expecting anyone to play for 100+ hours to start enjoying the game is completely unreasonable. The block delay makes you question yourself and makes it feel sluggish. Block delay is a stupid limitation that has no place in a skill based game.

Expecting anyone to play for 100+ hours to start enjoying the game is completely unreasonable. The block delay makes you question yourself and makes it feel sluggish. Block delay is a stupid limitation that has no place in a skill based game.
I agree I’m getting used to it (230 hours my god ) but I don’t like that , it’s forced to be getting used to a in my opinion a tad sloppy mechanic , ( please chambering and riposte ability to actually work )

especially if they want to appeal to the casual singleplayer

That is Mount and Blade my dude. You can't even learn blocking in 100 hours if you start from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom