Quicksave Is Turning Me Into A Wuss

Users who are viewing this thread

Raz

Count
Almost all modern games allow the player to save and load their progress at almost any point in the game. This has been made even easier by mapping the save and load functions to the F5 and F6 (or F9) keys. At some point after the introduction of the quicksave, things have been going wrong. I often find myself obsessively quicksaving every few seconds. This allows me to quickload if things go less than perfectly.

For example, Turn Based Tactical games often rely on semi-random rolls. In Jagged Alliance 2, you can usually take out whole enemy sectors without losing a single merc. If your guys get shot, they perform worse during the battle and may require a few days of healing. If they die, it means losing an investment which may severely alter your performance in successive battles. That's why I often find myself quickloading after my guys gets so much as a scratch. Just reload until you get some good rolls in your favour. I know it would be much better if you dealt with the consequences, but the perfectionist in me doesn't allow me to let my best guys die. It's the same story with X-Com (I'd never retreat or let the Aliens destroy an interceptor) or the Total War games (never let a city be captured). I remember it being particularly bad in Fallout 3 too.

This sort of renders any difficulty level useless, and you never have to face any consequences resulted from losing. I'm trying to get over it, but even then I am very selective in what losses should be tolerated. Even then I have to create some arbitrary rules myself that should regulate how I play (I can always still do the special plead). All in all, I prefer the game would regulate the possibilities of metagaming, like a checkpoint system.

So, do you guys obsessively hit F5 after each decision or action in some games?

I only ever use quicksave in games that don't have any autosaving going on in the background.

I have had some bad experiences when going back to play certain games, believe it or not replaying a level over again that you just completed because you forgot to save is not fun.

I start using it when I'm failing over and over. If things go according to plan, and the game is not too frustrating, I don't even think about saving.

Ljas said:
X-Com has a quicksave function?

Was wondering that too. If things go to hell, I ragequit with ctrl+alt+delet and load the game again, but I'll have to do the battle all over and seeing how the maps are random, it could go even worse.

You can go to options (the "?" in the interface) during battlescape, and there's a save function in the bottom right there. :wink: Perhaps I shouldn't have told you.

Sushiman said:
I used to have problems with this, but I started unmapping the quick save/load keys, and it's really helped.
I'll try that sometime, thanks.

I also found that quicksave makes things too easy. This has been countermanded as I'm playing Empire:TW and the load times are sodding horrendous. So I only reload for important things.

Nahkuri said:
Ljas said:
X-Com has a quicksave function?

Was wondering that too. If things go to hell, I ragequit with ctrl+alt+delet and load the game again, but I'll have to do the battle all over and seeing how the maps are random, it could go even worse.
The only time I load a save is when I boot up the game. Savescumming is for pussies.

I'm pretty bad about it in mount & blade, but the two games that I absolutely couldn't stop myself from doing it in were Oblivion and Morrowind. I would often save right before a decision, then play one side of the story, new save, reload, play the other side, and decide which outcome I liked better. Its a hard habit to break.

I do it a lot in Oblivion, mainly because of fairly large chance of it crashing. I try to actually run for it when I face an enemy that's way stronger, instead of just dying and finding a path around them when I reload. It's more fun.
In M&B, I constantly save. Depending on what mood I'm in, I'll actually face the consequences of losing a fight, or I'll just load the save game before the battle and try again.

I do this...way too ****ing much. And it's not even quick save exclusive. I for some reason have this outrageous combination of perfectionism and OCD to an unhealthy level. For instance, sometimes I'll be playing a game, and I'll save. Then I'll get to a point where I want to save again. But I'll keep the other save, just incase I screw up and it's somehow only fixable if I go even further back. So I normally end up saving more than 200times over the course of a game. Not quicksaves, but actual save slots. I've done this especially in DA: O and ME2, where I had to regularly go back and delete my old save slots because I hit the max for # of saves. I like to get through things perfectly in general. I remember in DA: O I'd reload almost every time my character fell in combat. I knew he'd get up again at the end, but I wanted my character to have a record of never falling in combat. And then I also do it in games like Fallout 3, as previously mentioned, because of the risk of crashes; which in my case is due to the large amount of mods I'm running.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I should've clarified, when I talked about saving for Oblivion and Morrowind, I played those both on Xbox (yeah I know, I'm a noob), so every time I saved was an actual save slot.

Iberon said:
I only do so if the game is overly reliant on random chance.

Like Arcanum where there's always the chance that you'll say the wrong thing or walk into the wrong room and find yourself kicked in the face till death. :3

Back
Top Bottom