Question regarding troop names

Do you agree that this method, or a similar one, should be used to mark troop tyes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Aenima

Sergeant
Has the team ever thought of including small 'markers' at the end to denote what kind of class a certain troop type is? Having played a Roman character and now a Norwegian one, I can honestly say I'm completely clueless when it comes to what pretty much any soldier is from looking at the names. And to be honest, since I spend most of the time on the battlefield on horse and just generally concentrating on the fight, I don't usually take the time to see what kind of weapons these foreign named troops use, or not enough to remember, anyways.

My suggestion, as I said, is that all units have a 'marker' at the end of their name to denote what class of soldier they are. For example

"(Name of Nordic infantry)  -  I"    I for infantry
"(Name of Roman cavalry)  -    C"  C for cavalry
"(Name of Mongolian horse archer)  -  HA" 

And so forth. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Even though this minor system would have to be understood to be effective, I think that it would easily be made clear, and isn't all that 'un-aesthetic.' Furthermore, when considering the vast number of troops, and I'm going to assume that the bulk, if not only ones to have English names are the English troops, I think that it would be well worth implementing this system. As someone who doesn't understand what it is I'm upgrading my soldiers to practically all of the time, I certainly think that this is a good idea. Opinions?

I'm also finding a good way to differ castle and towns. Since their models are so small and cannot be seen clearly in the big map, I often run into a castle while I wanna sell something. :cry:

Troop names are not a problem for me, eventually you get used to "what troop does what", and besides you get to learn a few words from a different language as well.  :wink: Adding suffix's would really spoil immersion for me.

ntb_15 said:
Troop names are not a problem for me, eventually you get used to "what troop does what", and besides you get to learn a few words from a different language as well.  :wink: Adding suffix's would really spoil immersion for me.
yes,dont be lazy people,learn something :razz:

In my opinion, the troops' name in the mod has gone a little too far regarding all those foreign vocabularies..
i believe that at least some of them might have pretty much accurate english counterparts..  there is no point keeping them all in their original language.

let's take a look to an example, supposing there is a new faction specific troop from China using spears without any particular features, should it be called "Chinese spearman" or "Changmao Bing" which is in chinese and literally means spearman?

Definately "Changmao Bing"

See, i just learned a little chinese there. Now if i see a chinese spearman on the street, i can say "Yo changmao Bing, sup"

Chairman Mao - only one available per army. Will starve enemy parties and absolutely obliterate anyone who crosses their path

I've got no problem with the different names, and I agree it gives a sense of immersion, making you 'feel' like a person of that time, but I'm not going to lie, it leaves me feeling clueless, and I'm never going to be able to memorise dozens of troops from over a dozen factions.

In my opinion, the troops' name in the mod has gone a little too far regarding all those foreign vocabularies..

...and I myself should at least be able to understand the german trooptree, shouldn't I? Well, yes I should, damnit! So what in the world is a 'retrobannum pede'?
Actually I don't even know how to spell it.  :grin:

It is fun though to attack something you have no clue at all what it might be...

I was in that exact situation. I assumed it was a bandit party of light infantry...when the first arrows butchered 4 of my men I realised how wrong I was. How very, very wrong.

That's also something I hadn't mentioned and admittedly plays a huge part in this; as you may only learn one or two factions troop names as you play different characters, you'll be at a huge disadvantage when going up against other factions, since you'll have no idea what an army composition is. You might attack an army and can only hope that they don't have heavy cavalry, or horse archers, and even after you take the leap of faith the only way to find out is to get run through by them.

I'm not trying to take the piss, but you have to admit, it's a fair point. And a funny one at that...."AHH my god!! It hurts, it- oh so you're an AXE man! Fair enough...."

Since pain is a good teacher I usually know who I am gonna attack after a few battles. And it really pays back if you can read about them *****ing at othr what he did wrong and how it is actually spelled or was that time 'n stuff. I bet he cursed the day he started it already many times. 

Aenima said:
I was in that exact situation. I assumed it was a bandit party of light infantry...when the first arrows butchered 4 of my men I realised how wrong I was. How very, very wrong.

That's also something I hadn't mentioned and admittedly plays a huge part in this; as you may only learn one or two factions troop names as you play different characters, you'll be at a huge disadvantage when going up against other factions, since you'll have no idea what an army composition is. You might attack an army and can only hope that they don't have heavy cavalry, or horse archers, and even after you take the leap of faith the only way to find out is to get run through by them.

I'm not trying to take the piss, but you have to admit, it's a fair point. And a funny one at that...."AHH my god!! It hurts, it- oh so you're an AXE man! Fair enough...."

trust me in 1257 u need more stratgey than in warband, archers, Javelinmen and spearmen are more deadly in 1257, I differ quite some classes for army
1. infantry (I combine javelinmen with infantries)
2. archers
3.  Calvary
4. spearmen
5. Horse Archer
6. armoured calvary (I differ coz the pretty play as tank role ad hard to killed)
7. Generals Bodyguards or Companions
8. Guissamers (I differ guissamer with sworman with shield coz I foudn shield unit quite good for arrow fodder, since their shield re stroger and guissamer move faster than those with shields and epasants join this group)

btw dun stupid enough charging prussian stronghold with melee units only

This was my impression at first as well, but he's not giving me advice, just suggesting classes if this plan was used...I think?

Ritter Dummbatz said:
...and I myself should at least be able to understand the german trooptree, shouldn't I? Well, yes I should, damnit! So what in the world is a 'retrobannum pede'?
Actually I don't even know how to spell it.  :grin:

That is latin, not german. It was the english of medieval europe.  :wink:

I dun care with the lanugage they use, but I prefer they use the latins or their origin language, to make it more realism, maybe an option is given for common player or somekind of pedia in the camp menu, btw arent they use French more, since Knight re chevaliers not Miles? just question plz =)

That is latin, not german.

Yeah, I don't why or how but somehow I figured that.  :mrgreen: and I took the wrong farmer class as well. You get 'retrobannum pede' in Hungary for example those in HRE are called somehow different. And here we go again I can't even tell how they are called.
I remember there once were german names, wonder where they went? Probably over the ocean because nobody understood them anymore.  :razz:

@Arrakhis: I am sorry. I didn't wanted to be that rude.

Ritter Dummbatz said:
That is latin, not german.

Yeah, I don't why or how but somehow I figured that.  :mrgreen: and I took the wrong farmer class as well. You get 'retrobannum pede' in Hungary for example those in HRE are called somehow different. And here we go again I can't even tell how they are called.
I remember there once were german names, wonder where they went? Probably over the ocean because nobody understood them anymore.  :razz:

@Arrakhis: I am sorry. I didn't wanted to be that rude.

it dun even hurt me a bit *pointing crossbow with a smile*
nahh just a yangire-otaku joke

my question about the miles as knight, re they from latin as well? arent they use french more for chevaliers as knights

If I'm on the same track as you, 'Miles' was an old Latin word that basically meant 'soldiers.' Am I right?

Back
Top Bottom