Question about Controversy

Users who are viewing this thread

Dravenzo

Recruit
So ive created my faction now and its going pretty god, got loads of vassals and everything, but i just saw that my controversy has gone up to 40! :shock:
I dont understand i did everything by order, sieged **** ton of castles, deafeated **** ton of lords, every vassals has village town or castle. :eek:
And i have loads of lords at my prison
Maybe the prisoned lords does that if i free them will my controversy go lower, or not?
If not anyone suggestions? :smile:

Well this answered some of my question thanks, but for example i beated a lord and got him as a prisoner, and my controversy got up to 42, is this a bug or controversy should go higher if i inprison lords in my town? :???:

You gain controversy by:

Losing a vassal
Leaving soldiers behind
Joining in or starting arguments with other vassals
Betraying someone
Mistreating captured lords
As Marshall: Any loss, such as having a village raided, caravan destroyed, peasants attacked, a lord losing a battle, a castle captured, or town captured will add to controversy in often large measures. If you face war on multiple fronts or have a large kingdom to defend, you can expect to reach near 100 controversy very quickly. The only solution is to give up being marshall in that case.

The more controversy you have, the higher the chance the soldiers will desert you and lower the chance vassals will join you. High controversy will prevent your king or queen from awarding you a fief. Very high controversy for a marshall makes it likely that the marshall will be replaced.

Controversy can be lost over time or you can win against an enemy vassal to lower your controversy. Also ending arguments between your vassals lowers it as well.

Don't worry about controversy as leader of your faction. At least I never did.
You can still get fief and you can also keep the marshall position as long as you want since you're the boss.

If you are the faction leader what happens is that every time you give a fief most vassals you have lose 2-4 relations with you and all of that adds to the controversy you have. So 15-20 lords you gain 40 controversy every time you give a fief.

Does that matter?  Just like Filou said, no.

If you want to avoid it, only take good natured or upstanding lords (I have heard that they don't lose rep over you giving fiefs.  You might want to test that) 

Also losts of the lords all tally to the marshal's controversy so if you are not the marshal you don't accumulate controversy by random losses.  You might also want to rotate the marshalship so nobody accumulates too much controversy.

k61824 said:
If you are the faction leader what happens is that every time you give a fief most vassals you have lose 2-4 relations with you and all of that adds to the controversy you have. So 15-20 lords you gain 40 controversy every time you give a fief.

Does that matter?  Just like Filou said, no.

If you want to avoid it, only take good natured or upstanding lords (I have heard that they don't lose rep over you giving fiefs.  You might want to test that) 

Also losts of the lords all tally to the marshal's controversy so if you are not the marshal you don't accumulate controversy by random losses.  You might also want to rotate the marshalship so nobody accumulates too much controversy.
That's the inherent advantage of being very picky about which lords you recruit/accept.  Good natured or upstanding lords won't get upset if you give fiefs to lords other than themselves.  The only drawback is that it takes a long time to acquire a good number of them since defections are too few and far in between.  It is worth investing a lot of game time in the early stages in meeting each lord in the game while you are still freelancing.  Then make a list of all of the ideal lords and keep track of their relationship to their liege lords while building up your own honor and reputation BEFORE you try and establish your own kingdom.  I spend almost a game year building up my honor (breaking out lords from prison, rescuing towns from bandits, etc) and undertaking tasks and missions for the desirable lords.  I keep the list handy for when it's time to try and recruit or when a lord defects and shows up at my castle.  Then I'll know who to accept and whom to reject.

michaelvillena said:
It is worth investing a lot of game time in the early stages in meeting each lord in the game while you are still freelancing.  Then make a list of all of the ideal lords and keep track of their relationship to their liege lords while building up your own honor and reputation BEFORE you try and establish your own kingdom.  I spend almost a game year building up my honor (breaking out lords from prison, rescuing towns from bandits, etc) and undertaking tasks and missions for the desirable lords. 

I'd argue that meeting the lords early would be somewhat counterproductive.  If you can get enough honor (100 or so)  all those lords would automatically becomes friends on the report/character report screen even though you never met them.  When you have to meet the lords due to jailbreak or whatever, they automatically have 1/3 of your honor as starting relation so you don't have to specifically build relations with them as long as you are grinding up your honor.  That is the easiest way to check whether a lord is upstanding/good natured imo.

So everything was going allright till i got to my village and took a quest, i accidently decline the quest and my controversy has gone up to 100 from 6! :sad:
Is this a bug or decline ur village quest gives u that much controversy?

k61824 said:
michaelvillena said:
It is worth investing a lot of game time in the early stages in meeting each lord in the game while you are still freelancing.  Then make a list of all of the ideal lords and keep track of their relationship to their liege lords while building up your own honor and reputation BEFORE you try and establish your own kingdom.  I spend almost a game year building up my honor (breaking out lords from prison, rescuing towns from bandits, etc) and undertaking tasks and missions for the desirable lords. 

I'd argue that meeting the lords early would be somewhat counterproductive.  If you can get enough honor (100 or so)  all those lords would automatically becomes friends on the report/character report screen even though you never met them.  When you have to meet the lords due to jailbreak or whatever, they automatically have 1/3 of your honor as starting relation so you don't have to specifically build relations with them as long as you are grinding up your honor.  That is the easiest way to check whether a lord is upstanding/good natured imo.

I disagree.  Meeting the lords face to face enables a more complete and thorough list whenever you invoke the "KNOWN LORDS BY RELATIONS" query in Diplomacy Mod.  Lords that you've never met will not appear on that list.  I use that list to keep track of desirable lords.  That list also tracks their relationship with their liege; a very useful bit of info.

hm.... In native I use the character report because I want to separate between friends through cheat dialogs (as part of polygamy mod testing I was trying to get courtship permissions from all guardian lords, you'll need cheats so you can finish getting permissions before some of them got betrothed) and friends through honor.  Character report's list at beginning when you got your honor from hex editor/cheatmenu = lords which adds relation per honor.  Lords who know you are courting whoever they are courting (those with only a sister) will take a -20 when you meet them the first time, so you'll need ~40 to keep permissions (or 2nd cheat dialog run)

I suppose I can stop adding relations at ~20 ish just before they make friends with me, and add it again as needed.

Back
Top Bottom