[Q&A] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey gsanders and everyone else - I'd like to ask if you could send me/tell me  Phantasy 2018 version which still the lich mechanic and visible necromancy skill. It would be also cool if it had unchanged map. Thanks for the answer.

EDIT: I'd love the state of map and necromancy system from this Reformist's video: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19733 Is there a version like that but maybe with some bugfixes and such? Cheers

EDIT2: Downloading the 150 series, will report if that is what I meant - probably yes.

EDIT3: Nice, this version has the skill hidden but it's cool since it allows me to create any undead now and it still has the lich system. The shadows seem to be lacking sounds though :/

Bargian said:
Royal gem - its only high valuable loot or its usefull for something?
Once upon the time, you needed one to perform the ritual turning you into a Lich.  I do not think it has any use in newer versions.

Hello, I just downloaded the latest version the other day and have a question about the starting as King option.
I have messed around with various cultures, but have yet to find the option to customise your kingdom troops?  I've hired all the staff & spoken to them, but can't see any custom troop options in the dialogue. 
I have changed my Kingdoms name & colour plus I know there is an option to change your class system after a month.
The answer is probably staring me in the face but I just cant see it  :oops:

palewarrior said:
Hello, I just downloaded the latest version the other day and have a question about the starting as King option.
I have messed around with various cultures, but have yet to find the option to customise your kingdom troops?  I've hired all the staff & spoken to them, but can't see any custom troop options in the dialogue. 
I have changed my Kingdoms name & colour plus I know there is an option to change your class system after a month.
The answer is probably staring me in the face but I just cant see it  :oops:

custom troops is ONLY v155 series.  You probably downloaded v156.
Otherwise you have to go talk to your constable.  Its actually a royal pain the the posterior because you burn about a half hour setting up the trees and if you ever lose your kingdom you lose the tree as well.  Also v155 custom trees dont restore well if you copy characters to another computer.  I find the whole thing glitchy and unsatisfying.  custom trees, as it was given to me,  breaks, absolutely, all other modmerged add-ins defined after it, in this case Tournament Play Enhancements.  Also because so many races exist custom trees glitches on setting the right race, and ought to be ripped apart and redone without making it modmerger code and with all the troop trees exposed for normal handling instead of hidden so that troop trees for v156 are not at all the same size file as v155.  For this reason the series have different numbers, as in not save game compatible between the two versions.  I feel in short it needs about a month of my time just to fix this to my satisfaction, but I have 8 days left this year to code.  Looks like custom trees won't be the focus of fixes in the short time I have left.  Right now I'm still busy getting Warsword Conquest updated from 2 years ago, so whatever update comes for v156 will be the last minute possible before my day job closes the door on my energy and time.    All these years I had a day job that didnt pay much but let me work as I wished on side projects like this ... that changed when I lost the ability to even meet modest family expenses in the near-third world.  Any normal job expects me to be 110% focused on THEIR work not mine, which means this free mod suffers.  Like every other mod not made by students on break or high schoolers (Perisno as an example, although I donated a year there too, working 40 hour work weeks for free for them).  So, maybe you didnt download v155, or maybe you havent asked the constable about "recruits and training" yet.

You need to be your own kingdom to have custom troops, so you could also have v155 but choose not to start as your own king and there would also be no custom troops, but you obviously have a kingdom so that doesn't apply.

Well, I got off to a slow start on v158 but it's alive:

1. I think I have a better dual stab without the T-pose problems
    The mod loads faster with changes at module.ini;
    the v158 save game file is smaller so saves are quicker, which in turn reduces a window of vulnerability for corrupt saves.

2. I think the issue of companions promoting to lords after 2 days is closed.  This needed a few tries to get right but it looks closed now.
  The fixes for middle game corruption on finishing some enemy kingdom attempted for b9 and b10 patches are working correctly now; you could consider the base for v158 to be v156 B11 PLUS Warsword Conquest sea layer.

3.  Along those lines, sea travel is working so far, but I have yet to make some sea pirates and import the working sea battles from Warsword Conquest.  Actually, you haven't seen the sea battles in a working state -- the 2016 ones were broken.  There are older scenes from Wulf's sea battles, where ships start already tied together for boarding, so the fight becomes a modified land battle.  This works well, especially when drowning is adjusted or removed.  I have loot dropping and prisoners after battle at both WC "Chaos Dwarf & magic update" and v158 source (since they're the same base layer).

4. So how is it one mod and another mod have the same base?  Does that mean magic at WC_CD is like here?  No, those are completely different layers.  ALl mods are split into layers and instead of closing my eyes and substituting 100% or nothing, each mod became a hybrid.  Magic is totally different there.  But diplomacy looks similar -- and its not cut and pasted from Diplomacy 4.1, rather its interpolated line by line with changes allowing for example prejudice, virtual skins for races and factions that hate each other, and different stability for politics, hiring, etc.  Some things were uniquely made by me, first for one mod, then for another, and then co-mingled at more than 1 mod.  It's on me to keep the layers that I DIDN'T furnish out of other mods -- and done right, helps get others to share with me by containing the core that belongs to other people, while mixing the OSP and my own private layers for each mod.

5.  Some things I did ask to use here -- like improved female elves.  They have pointy ears.  But they keep evolving, so I have to go back and use an older version of them, as WC already evolved past the point where I can make a quick substitution here.  There is a lot of stuff that isn't available to take to here -- I didnt make it, and so I don't have rights to just pilfer it.  But what little I did do - ahh well, there's some fairly cool code.  I had a scheme for example to save the player boat when it glitched - and it often used to glitch.  Eventually that made the map move slower, although not all of the slowdowns at Warsword Conquest were from me.  I think this time around nearly all of the sources of slow downs are fixed or at least contained, and I think the proof is to show those concepts with a working sea travel in v158 here.  Except we have, (Phantasy 201:cool:, 1100 vs 1700 total party count. The total number of parties on map make a huge different for perceived lag.  We also have a different reinforcements here for large battle support.

6.  Everyone demands something.  I usually impolitely decline.  Here's the thing -- I have less free time than everyone assumes.  I put in somewhere between 1000 and 2000 hours on various pieces of the project(s) you see, out of perhaps 3000-3500 total man hours October 2014 through now.  Most of that was done by sacrificing daylight earnings and productivity for more time for modding.  But that's something I can't afford now, so there will be even less after 8 days.  I'll get one update out the door before then, as a v158 A1 starter and a v156 b11 patch.  After that updates will be just as infrequent as all other mods that are not babysat by someone unemployed or still in high school.  But hey, what could you ask for, for free?  I mean, what little works cost you nothing but a little time to master its quirks.  It could be worse.  Warband itself costs somewhere between $20 and $10 depending on the sale and time of year.  It could be worse.

Hopefully next week will see some big progress.  I think more got done than it seems, but there is always something someone wants done.
My work is NOT OSP.  But someday I'll have time to extract a subset and make THAT OSP.  Some day...

GSanders, you have done so much for this mod that you do not have to justify your actions to anyone.  Phantasy and its players are lucky that you worked on it, and anything you can do from now on is just gravy.  Phantasy 2018 is deliciously playable.

Good luck with your new job, and if you can't any time for modding, it will not diminish what you've already done.

Hi GSanders,

I started playing the game some months ago. But I dont got much time, so I didn't updated the mod every patch (probably the reason sometimes you thought people were getting out of the game, it was simply that people didn't follow each update, I even stopped playing M&B  for a good time due to some over work, so don't get sad pal), and didn't follow this forum.

Now, reading through your ordeal and your difficulties, I am glad that you found a new job. I want to thank you for the effort you used on this mod, it's incredible. I am also glad to know that you came back to help on the warsword conquest update, as your original content is a good addition to that mod too and I love the warhammer lore, but the last version of that mod is too unpolished on some sections (while still being very good).

Don't feel pressured, you exceeded any expectations with your miriad patchs, we can make do with whatever patching policy you are able to do. When I last played, the map was entirely different, and I see on this last version a lot of changes.

So, thank you, have a good time, God bless you and take care of your heart, because if you keep this stress and pression you seem to live under, you are liable to have a heart atack pal!  :smile:

Tuidjy said:
GSanders, you have done so much for this mod that you do not have to justify your actions to anyone.  Phantasy and its players are lucky that you worked on it, and anything you can do from now on is just gravy.  Phantasy 2018 is deliciously playable.
Agreed. Also, some people will never feel a mod is "complete" unless it is not being worked on anymore. So if updates keep coming people will always ask questions like "should I wait for the next update" "is the current version good enough/polished enough".

Akesh the Cursed said:
Tuidjy said:
Agreed. Also, some people will never feel a mod is "complete" unless it is not being worked on anymore. So if updates keep coming people will always ask questions like "should I wait for the next update" "is the current version good enough/polished enough".

The next update will be v158 with a different data model, I hope.  That means a fresh character.  I'm not sure how many changes can be made without breaking save game -- Permanent Camp for example would break save.  As would removing Tournament Play Enhancements.  Or replacing a part of custom troops.  I'm not at all sure what can be done with what's there without breaking save, but you know when I try out a game a fair amount of things work already.
If I block off what isnt perfect and keep what is, its a much better mod than many I've seen.  Already.

----
EDIT:  Tues 21 August '18:

One of the things I wanted from a new series is a smaller save game file, which would reduce the statistical chance of corruption in the save file mainly by shortening the time needed to finish writing the save.  At Warsword Conquest I tried different schemes to shrink the savegame file and one of them was reducing the number of kingdom ladies to 2  per faction instead of 20 (old Warsword Conquest), or about 14 in Phantasy 2018.  This reduced in total the number of kingdom heroes by 140 and gave me room to add 4 more lords to the Drow to toughen them up (18 instead of 14), plus a few reinforcements to the drow capital city at start.  Adding some sea ships and otherwise doing nothing, I get about 2.5 MB smaller files (12.9 MB instead of 15.5 MB) after roughly 40 days in game.  This isn't a huge savings but its a data point.  I'll consider the benefits and minuses and decide how I want the next series to look shortly.

To be honest, I would rather have 14 ladies than 2, even if that means that my save file is twice as big. 

In 14 years of playing Warband, I have had a corrupted file exactly once, due to a blackout while saving.  I restored the backup, and was fine.

On the other hand, I have been unhappy with the maiden selection many times.  The number of ladies should be similar to the number of lords - wives, daughters, love interests - they make the game come alive. 

Tuidjy said:
To be honest, I would rather have 14 ladies than 2, even if that means that my save file is twice as big. 

In 14 years of playing Warband, I have had a corrupted file exactly once, due to a blackout while saving.  I restored the backup, and was fine.

On the other hand, I have been unhappy with the maiden selection many times.  The number of ladies should be similar to the number of lords - wives, daughters, love interests - they make the game come alive.

If it were more dramatic than 2.5 MB I'd trim the ladies but 2 megs isn't exactly wiping my disk capacity.  We're already hovering between 1000 and 1100 parties and this mainly keeps the file size small.  Warsword Conquest went from 2000 parties down to 1500 parties but also there was fat in some of the later variables being put too high in slot numbers, because it was not clear enough how big the in-memory structures holding relations among heroes and factions really were and where exactly they start.  With a little more effort I was able to lock down exactly where I needed those values to be and that was probably at least as important.  Both v156 and v158, with 14 ladies per faction, have nearly identical save file sizes, so I think I took away all the fat I could find already.
The current arrangement is a little more clear than before, and there are more buildings defined etc plus the sea support.  I'm sort of trying to make a base that I can add to over time turning on buildings one by one without wrecking saves for series v158, so some of the new variables are just place holders right now.

I do kind of prefer a better selection in kingdom ladies for wife as a companion.

gsanders said:
Tuidjy said:
I do kind of prefer a better selection in kingdom ladies for wife as a companion.
Exactly!  A nice little improvement would be to place a bit more variety in maidens' stats and skills.  They are a bit too similar, and very dainty. 

I have no problem that most of them have Power Strike 0 and Weapon Mastery 0, but most should have decent riding (they're noble) athletics and ironskin (much better nutrition than peasants) and some races should have resistance and magical training.  It's not so much to make them better companions, although that's nice as well.  It's to make them look like adult women, as opposed to developmentally retarded wallflowers. 

Hi all,

I started a game as a king for the first time, and have some questions. First, I really would like so the lords are of the same race as you, and also the troops. while the recruit option is for troops of your chosen race (after I checked it with the cheat option enabled, first it was swadian), the specialty trained troops are of the swadian original stock. Also the troops of all the garrions, patrols, peasants, reinforcements and the lord armies are of swadian stock too. Will they gradually change to reflect the realm race? The merchants sell swadian equipment too. Even after I used the chat option to refresh merchants global.

I then waited some days to see if anything changed, but didn't perceive anything.

leugimimi said:
Hi all,

I started a game as a king for the first time, and have some questions. First, I really would like so the lords are of the same race as you, and also the troops. while the recruit option is for troops of your chosen race (after I checked it with the cheat option enabled, first it was swadian), the specialty trained troops are of the swadian original stock. Also the troops of all the garrions, patrols, peasants, reinforcements and the lord armies are of swadian stock too. Will they gradually change to reflect the realm race? The merchants sell swadian equipment too. Even after I used the chat option to refresh merchants global.

I then waited some days to see if anything changed, but didn't perceive anything.

sounds like you ran v155 or v156 and chose "start as a King" option, which takes Dhirim and 8 swadian lords and hands them to you.
Those will be swadian troop trees.  You need to migrate the town to change race of recruits coming from the town.  This takes a month and costs money that probably is more sorely needed for enterprises or trading in the first few weeks.

Thanks for the answers Gsanders!

Will you implement any measure to prevent lords to migrate to other realms, or at least to realms that are inimical to them, or is anything of the sort in place already?

I didn't notice any deserting lords yet, on the last Version 156 b9 I am playing, but on some previous versions I played I noticed many drow lords ending on the elf realm, and other things I found immersion breaking. By reading the bugs section it seems the version I am playing has a problem with lords dont respawing. About this issue, what I noticed is that when choosing the start as king option only 2 thirds of the lords of my realm did actually show up, some never showed up.

Also, will you implement any feature to keep AI armies with only their realms troops, or at least to prevent inimical races of mixing?

I await anxioulsy the new patch, and also the new update of warsword conquest, with your work (or at least some of it) there to improve the mod with the features of diplomacy I like so much.

leugimimi said:
Thanks for the answers Gsanders!

Will you implement any measure to prevent lords to migrate to other realms, or at least to realms that are inimical to them, or is anything of the sort in place already?

I didn't notice any deserting lords yet, on the last Version 156 b9 I am playing, but on some previous versions I played I noticed many drow lords ending on the elf realm, and other things I found immersion breaking. By reading the bugs section it seems the version I am playing has a problem with lords dont respawing. About this issue, what I noticed is that when choosing the start as king option only 2 thirds of the lords of my realm did actually show up, some never showed up.

Also, will you implement any feature to keep AI armies with only their realms troops, or at least to prevent inimical races of mixing?

I await anxioulsy the new patch, and also the new update of warsword conquest, with your work (or at least some of it) there to improve the mod with the features of diplomacy I like so much.

I tried to do that with v156b10 and 10b but the problem is that part was right but I messed up every companion.
  Then I realized what was wrong with the companions but I was waiting on fixes debuting (is that even a word) appearing at Warsword Conquest, so I kept wanting to see all my changes there get tested, but one thing led to another and I used up my summer.  I finally decided that yes some things were fixed but some things weren't so I decided to push back a patch so that I dont keep needing a patch to fix a patch to fix a patch... which tries patience.

I know it sort of sucks waiting on me to unkink my time at two different mods at the exact same time as I suddenly, for the first time in 14 years, really have no time anymore to mod.  At least in a month when I'm finally paid I wont be underwater anymore.  Nor is my work every day about to fire me or go bankrupt.  i changed jobs.  But in return for finally getting honest pay, I have to do honest work, and not get paid pennies per hour to be available for a once in a month service event, and otherwise mod every hour of every day.  Now I am not even able to bring a memory stick from home or look at Taleworlds website without permission on company time.  But at least I no longer worry how my family will survive or when I'll be fired.  Its all good, even if a free mod has to keep waiting.  i mean, it used to work pretty well.  So I posted downgrade instructions and a file at NexusMods.  I saved every last version someplace at home so if 156b7 isn't early enough I can go back -- but at b7 the fix was in for kingdom ladies and families built when the character was first created.  So the initial game ought to start at least b7 to get the right fixes.  v150 the families hadn't been fixed before the very last patch, and by that time companions were borked, so I wanted to focus on something moving forwards.

I have a v158 that has working sea travel and sea bandits, and sea battles that work the new 2018 Warsword Conquest way, as well as working elf females with pointed ears, but there were still some fixes I felt ought to be done before I release even a work in progress v158.  I reckon sometime in the next month after training winds down I can get up a little earlier and put in 1-2 hours every other day or so and eventually bang out a mod.  Again, I mention other things besides modding in this case to explain how many hours are available in a week, and how many of them "belong" to anyone but my employer, and how many I can reasonably spend here or at any mod.  After that it's just a matter of doing it.

As for lords of your realm, your realm starts with a smaller number of lords than other realms.  If you got even 1 lord showing up, thats the right number you're going to get, whether its 6 or 8.  You ought to be happy with anything more than 0, sad to say.

Prevention of races mixing is what prejudice is for, and it looks to be one feature unwanted in its current form at Warsword Conquest -- chiefly because its the source of having to click more than once to enter a town.  I suggested a toggle to resolve that but in the end my suggestion to them was simply implement all my changes except at game_menus, since they thought it was all or nothing, and keep the old game menus they had, thereby skipping prejudice checks, but also giving up caravan recruiting, auto loot, auto resolve routed troops when 16:1 or more odds without losing loot and prisoners, auto sell, auto restock food, and auto cleanup beached ships to lower total party count on map by around 50 to 70 when leaving town, which gave a few percent speedup on map over the old algorithms.  They'd lose all the tuning for diplomacy as well.  This allows the people who don't like diplomacy to have their cake and eat it too, while actually implementing the silent and perhaps unseen behaviors of diplomacy for ai handling and waging war and peace, all of which happen outside game_menus.  The glory of my suggested fix is they could ship the next day if they want, so far as my layer is concerned, but they'd still have to deal with their own layers.
[The above section was solved last night by Nameless Warrior, so most of Diplomacy looks to be green lighted, again.]  The caveat is the 18 bandit types have to still be filled in by someone but me -- I showed how the system works correctly, but made up names for bandits that aren't warhammer lore accurate.  That's outside my knowledge.  I expect Warsword Conquest to consult once in a while and otherwise they'll be good to go soon enough.  I don't know when but Nameless and I are on friendly terms again.  For a while I wasn't sure his heart was really on board diplomacy, or any of the other things this mod game him from my code.  He finally is cool with what he got, and can take it from there.  It always was his mod; I was his guest.  We're sort of buddies, besides peers.  He always was the closest thing to my equal -- having a level head and good demeanor, but we catch each others mistakes as well.  I wont say I'm better and I cant say I'm always worse, but I can say skill in coding is sort of a function of time of night and when the coder last got sleep, and be happy there's two of us checking each other's homework.  WC has awesome modelers and artists -- even if they don't understand Nameless and my union and the boundaries of each of our layers of focus.  What will be will be -- and I think whatever Nameless decides to do next will be best for all.  There's always a patch 1 anyway, so nothing has to be solved 100% now anyway.  Consider what 2016 looked like -- 2018 is already better.  But setting a date means nothing, because the work is elastic and can expand or shrink overnight.

You're right the lords not respawning is exactly why I haven't pushed the code I have now live.  I suppose I could go back to how it was, at simple_trigger #49, and compare those, but every few hours there's some emergency over at WC, so I wanted those fires to die down.  Some are the community responding to old news, and reigniting something they don't understand, and others are things that if they understood the last messages between me and Nameless would understand its already handled with a line of attack as to what to change, why a symptom shows as it does, and how to deal with it.  The Warsword Conquest needs regarding lords recycling are different than at Phantasy 2018, so they may not have the same issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom