Privateer like game

Users who are viewing this thread

forte712

Knight at Arms
I was wondering if someone can recommend me a space game that gives you freedom like in Wing Commander: Privateer?

Space combat, trading, freedom in deciding what you become (trader, pirate etc) would be very nice

Thanks.

Freelancer. Excellent game with (in my opinion) great voice acting, nice graphics, and really makes you feel like a...freelancer. Plus, multiplayer can range from private games with your personal universe to massive games with a hundred players--trading, raiding, taking contracts, etc. Whatever you do, just don't buy Darkstar One, which could be called an unofficial sequel or remake.

Plus, it has memorable scenes and lines: "Freelancer Alpha One dash One, you are cleared to land!" or where Juni slaps Trent...

X3 is worth it's weight in gold, however, it really does need to be modded so that you have a reason to trade ect.

Gregor Eisenhorn said:
Freelancer. Excellent game with (in my opinion) great voice acting, nice graphics, and really makes you feel like a...freelancer. Plus, multiplayer can range from private games with your personal universe to massive games with a hundred players--trading, raiding, taking contracts, etc. Whatever you do, just don't buy Darkstar One, which could be called an unofficial sequel or remake.

Plus, it has memorable scenes and lines: "Freelancer Alpha One dash One, you are cleared to land!" or where Juni slaps Trent...

Eugh...excellent game my butt. In my view it was a game that was so promising but managed to flunk pretty much everything. Horrible acting, horrible AI, horrible static economy, the story was mediocre at best...at best it only had "traces" of a real privateer based game. Mod capabilities save it somewhat but overall it's a poor man's version of a privateer game to me at best.

Independence War II. Loads of freedom, a bit linear until you get your capsule drive allowing you to travel through lagrange points, but still an excellent game. There are loads of mods for it as well, including a very Privateer like mod.

I really like the feel of the X series, but I want, no, I demand real-space physics, or as close as I can get anyway, I-War2 has this in the stock game, I think you can mod it for X, but Im not sure how it is. Anyway here is the link for the I-War series community, the mod I mentioned is called Torn Stars, there are alot of other mods there too, you will scream with joy if you like Babylon 5. (Buda5 Mod)

http://www.i-war2.com/

Hmm.. I-war, i'm sure i've played that one at one time or another.

also, if your just after some fast paced space action (eg, almost counterstike in nature), with realistic space physics, try out the infinity combat prototype, if there's anyone playing that is.

You might want to try Hardwar- http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4234 (note the technical notes before downloading)
I'm not sure i'd recommend it... I kinda liked it, but didn't play a lot. If it's freedom you're looking for, you can own more than one craft(not really in space) in it, and buildings too, which i think can be used as shops among other things.

Skyrage said:
Eugh...excellent game my butt. In my view it was a game that was so promising but managed to flunk pretty much everything. Horrible acting, horrible AI, horrible static economy, the story was mediocre at best...at best it only had "traces" of a real privateer based game. Mod capabilities save it somewhat but overall it's a poor man's version of a privateer game to me at best.
I could say the same thing of M&B. Have you played some of the Freelancer mods?

forte712 said:
I was wondering if someone can recommend me a space game that gives you freedom like in Wing Commander: Privateer?

Space combat, trading, freedom in deciding what you become (trader, pirate etc) would be very nice

Thanks.

I highly suggest you check out Escape Velocity: Nova :smile:. This is the official site, and here is the Wikipedia article. There are a number of mods (or "Plug-ins" as most escape velocity players refer to them as) for the game, ranging from simple graphical enhancements and storyline additions to total conversions (only a few of those, though). One of the simple plugs I like is one that reduces the size of fighters, so it makes larger ships actually seem large :grin:. If you do get into the game, the survival guide at Evula's Lair will become one of your best companions. The mission walkthrough pages seem to be down right now, but the trade routes and money making pages are still up.

Gregor Eisenhorn said:
Skyrage said:

Played a few but none have really fixed the problems that vanilla FL had...probably cause you can't really alter AI, dynamic universe etc since it's all hardcode stuff.

Skyrage said:
Gregor Eisenhorn said:
Skyrage said:

Played a few but none have really fixed the problems that vanilla FL had...probably cause you can't really alter AI, dynamic universe etc since it's all hardcode stuff.

You should try some multiplayer mods. They've managed to mod in stuff like a dynamic economy and hireable mercenary wingmen.

Yep. Plus--I know this sounds funny--the game is great for LAN parties on a populated server. Level with your friends and then watch each other's back so you don't get raided by more advanced players.

Back
Top Bottom