Prediction for the Future of the Class System - Hybrid (Warband Cosmetics - Bannerlord Mechanics)

(See Thread First) Would this vision of the class/cosmetic system potentially work for yourself?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

AxiosXiphos

Sergeant Knight
So let me start by saying this isn't a 'what if' thread or a suggestion; this is literally how I believe the class system will look at Bannerlords release - with evidence to support it.

So we know skins have been planned for some time by TW; however the format of these in the game files is very interesting;

S3bic.jpg

- Thanks Terco_Viejo

The skins are laid out in a slot-by-slot basis; much like warband. Which leads me to believe that the 'cosmetic' system for bannerlord will actually be quite in depth and very similar to the loadout system from Warband. Additionally this comment from Callum regarding the class system is quite telling;

I'm just thinking out loud here, but is it possible that a lot of this frustration actually stems from the lack of visual customisation? Like, being unable to show off your silly character face, or running around shirtless as a statement of your melee prowess, or just to pick what you think looks cool?

So what does this all mean? It means I believe we will be getting a Warband-esque system to decide cosmetics while the Bannerlord perk system functions the mechanics. So for those who are new to the game the warband system looked like this;

DkFX5GJ.png

With you selecting individual items slot by slot (much like SP). So for bannerlord this would probably be in the armoury and you would choose piece by piece how you wished each class to look (with more pieces unlocking as you level up). Now this won't have any mechanical change (it will be purely cosmetic) but I believe this sort of system in conjunction with a larger, more diverse and improved class/perk system could be a mid-ground which might appeal to both Warband & Bannerlord system fans.

Now clearly this doesn't answer some of the hot topics proponents of the old system will bring up. It doesn't allow greater customisation of gear choices; however it would add player individuality back into the game, it would let players define their appearance and it does allow balance and cosmetics to be handled separately.

What do you think? Also I don't want to turn this into a flame war so I don't want to argue about the merits of each current system, we have argued about that enough - only if players see potential (or don't) with the version I have envisioned above and reasons why.

Interesting post to read. So if this is true and we have to select our gear in the armoury (so essentially decide what each class looks like beforehand), then how can people possibly do counter strategies? Or will they have various presets? Lets say, 1 preset for Inf to counter cav and 1 preset for Inf to counter inf? @Callum

If this would be the case, it would actually be kind of nice because it still gives quite some more customization than we have now.

The reason why I liked warband's class system was that it let me choose my weaknesses and strengths. Allowing me to wear a slightly different helmet but still having little/no agency in developing my loadout isn't a compromise. You did a great job finding this, and I think this could be interesting. However, the fact remains that Warband's system wasn't only fun because "le naked 2h xddd." It gave us the meaningful choices a perk system can't. In fact, the naked 2h build was one of them, now it is aped by the 2h class.

Interesting post to read. So if this is true and we have to select our gear in the armoury (so essentially decide what each class looks like beforehand), then how can people possibly do counter strategies? Or will they have various presets? Lets say, 1 preset for Inf to counter cav and 1 preset for Inf to counter inf? @Callum

If this would be the case, it would actually be kind of nice because it still gives quite some more customization than we have now.
I believe perks would still be in changeable per class in game. But there might be some decisions you can pre-program in the armoury.

+1

my main gripe about the class system is that there is little to no differences (cosmetically) between same classes
This (potentially) would also add some usefulness to the leveling system other than being able to flex your level on your friends

Although this would be awesome, I think that actually balancing perks should be prioritized over adding cosmetics, but i guess this is a bit of a non-point since presumably different people work on each of those things

I agree with Canton, i still feel like this will not be enough of a satisfaction for a hybrid system.

This is still very barren for a hybrid class system, just throwing skins inside isn't going to actually satisfy what people are looking for in bannerlord class system, which is depth. I still think this class system will feel like a puddle as opposed as a well in warband

we need old class system like warband. I cant play as inf WHY i must play as inf to buy my archer class this is not good this is not csgo like everytime u take a kill u become better class etc. Why this class system just why?? I cant play as inf only as archer why i must play as inf to buy my class and IF i die i will lose my class..What is this?? fortnite or csgo? And clans cant play with this!!! some members in clans they are good as archer as cav why they must play as inf to buy the class they want just what is this?? All old players they want this the old class system the warband class system!!! DO something !!!!

we need old class system like warband. I cant play as inf WHY i must play as inf to buy my archer class this is not good this is not csgo like everytime u take a kill u become better class etc. Why this class system just why?? I cant play as inf only as archer why i must play as inf to buy my class and IF i die i will lose my class..What is this?? fortnite or csgo? And clans cant play with this!!! some members in clans they are good as archer as cav why they must play as inf to buy the class they want just what is this?? All old players they want this the old class system the warband class system!!! DO something !!!!
I have no idea what you are talking about mate :grin:

Yeah I understood that much. Yet I failed to understand his arguments for this
He is arguing as to why he would need to have to play archer to be infantry, a bit bad example but i think its more clear if you rephrase and say why you have to play a class you don't like to be able to play a class you like (let's say u wanna play cav, this option isn't on the table each time you want to spawn)

He's saying that he'd like to play as his favourite class and customise it with his own selection of weapons and armour, but the new class system often doesn't allow him to play it, and instead forces him to play as some other troop he doesn't want to play as, and reduces the freedom he has to customise his own loadout.

He made a thread about it the other day: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/multiplayer-character-customize.428353/

What I don't think he understands is that this "hybrid system" the OP is proposing does nothing to solve that.

He's saying that he'd like to play as his favourite class and customise it with his own selection of weapons and armour, but the new class system often doesn't allow him to play it, and instead forces him to play as some other troop he doesn't want to play as, and reduces the freedom he has to customise his own loadout.

He made a thread about it the other day: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/multiplayer-character-customize.428353/

What I don't think he understands is that this "hybrid system" the OP is proposing does nothing to solve that.
Yeah this is what i don't get a bit neither. The point of the warband system wasn't only tied to be able to put on different colored bunch of pixels, it was a matter of adding depth in the game in form of different armor parts that are also different.

There is a big misunderstanding i believe. Skins are not warband customization at all

Yeah this is what i don't get a bit neither. The point of the warband system wasn't only tied to be able to put on different colored bunch of pixels, it was a matter of adding depth in the game in form of different armor parts that are also different.

There is a big misunderstanding i believe. Skins are not warband customization at all
I do understand that though; and I hope I made that clear in the description above.

No. I want what we had in Warband, but improved upon. The reasoning behind the class system is that it's easier for a new player to jump in and go. I would argue that having to learn what each class is AND does is harder than just "Infantry, Ranged, Cavalry." Took me MUCH longer to understand the class system than the weapons in Warband ever did.

Also, we're talking about weapons that everyone knows about. Even people who have never studied any sort of Medieval material at all. If someone can't understand simple physics or concepts, that a longer weapon has more reach, and a larger, bulkier weapon does more damage but has lower speed... I'm surprised they even know how to work a computer.

Cosmetic changes would improve the current system, but there still wouldnt be any progression or choice in actual equipment, only in looks.
It could also make it more difficult to distinguish between the classes at first glance, but I'm sure that wont be an issue.

Again the best fix would be having warbands system with a "Suggested equipment" button for people who dont want to choose.
Also you should probably be showing the armor options instead of the weapons on the warband example.

Back
Top Bottom