SP - General [POLL]Player succession: Regency and Abdication

Users who are viewing this thread

My charachter got sick early, he was only 50 and died. He has 3 sons, the oldest is 14. But I had to choose one of the brothers. I did not really want to play to play any of them and now I´m stuck with them for many years.

Regency
So here is my suggestion on how to introduce player regency in a very simple way.

1. When your charachter dies, you get succession dialogue with all famillymembers, including children.
=>1b. If a child is picked, you get the another dialogue with adults only to select the regent(it might or might not include companions - it would be quite cool)
....Playing as the regent....
3. When the child is close to 18, you gets a heads up.
4. When the child turns 18, it´s simply spawned in the party as it´s leader and becomes the player charachter.

--------------------------------------------

Abdication
Say you grow tired of your current charachter. You want to play another charachter in the clan.
Why not simply have a clan-interface include a button next to any famillymember that´s in your party?("Abdicate in favour of <this charachter>")

There have to some restriction so players does not jump back and forth between charachters. Maybe that you can't abdicate in favour of an already abdicated charachter is enough, I don't know :smile:
Maybe this feature needs different/more restrictions if you are a freelancer/mercenary => vassal => ruler.

Last edited:
i also though about a similiar system like in the guild 2.
there you can choose your character you want to play and that was great imo, but you could jump between them like you wanted. i wouldnt like that in bannerlord. you should have control about your next gen character and if its not old enough, it should be the possiblity to change it when its get 18.

like that

I would prefer that there were laws of succession in the kingdom and as in CK you have to invest to change them. So when you die you can choose with whom you want to continue the adventure, but by the laws of the kingdom it may be that this character is not the leader of the clan or does not inherit the fiefdoms. Also, there could be the option that in your will you divide your kingdom into two or three for each of your children, ensuring that in the future you continue to see conflicts with which to have fun XD

I would prefer that there were laws of succession in the kingdom and as in CK you have to invest to change them. So when you die you can choose with whom you want to continue the adventure, but by the laws of the kingdom it may be that this character is not the leader of the clan or does not inherit the fiefdoms. Also, there could be the option that in your will you divide your kingdom into two or three for each of your children, ensuring that in the future you continue to see conflicts with which to have fun XD
And for that we definatly need regencies..!

My reasons behind maintaining full heir selection for the player is that Bannerlord is a RPG. You invest maybe 100 hours in a charachter if you play slow, fight your battles etc. To be forced to play one clanmember over another is not very great design unfortunatly. The player charachter is the main asset Bannerlord has to involve and engage the player. If that fails, the game is over.

I´m all for internal schisms and even uprisings within clans and would surely support a well-written suggestion in how it could be added. I for one feel it´s not very close atm, alot of required functionality is not there to make it feel alive.

With all this in mind, I see no real reason to limit who is the player-clan leader, except maybe if the clan is faction leader.

Playing as a non-clanleader sounds cool as a concept but dull as time goes. So much less features!

I have 3k hours in CK, I know exactly waht you talk about :smile:

Yeah, I understand you. The game focuses on the player being the leader of the clan and at the same time, the clan being an extension of him. Perhaps the only way for what I proposed to happen is that when the schism occurs, each heir has a separate clan. In the case of the player who decides not to take the inheritance, he would have his own clan (Maybe Tier 1) and the heritor(by the succesion law) would become the player's clan leader.
I should add that the idea of regency seems great to me, perhaps it could also be extended to the wife. For a roleplay theme such as Leonor de Aquitaine or the She-Wolf of France, etc.

I should add that the idea of regency seems great to me, perhaps it could also be extended to the wife.
Yeas, disqualifying all children of the dying lord is not right in any succession-system. I think the decision of your regent - who you will be playing during the regency - is a smaller one, so allow you pick between any famillymember at the least would be OK :smile: As I said in OP, including Companions would be fun! :smile: It´s nothing that really effects the game(you are playing the regent so you are likely not going to oppose him in any way. )

Trying to revive this old suggestion :smile: Both Regency and Abdication is still features I´d like to see and none of them are very hard to implement as far as I can see.

A restriction I could imagine viable is blocking option to change to someone of higher level, like brother :smile: At least for Achievement games.

Back
Top Bottom