[Poll] More chance to get ambushed or not?

Want to get ambushed more?

• Yes please! Masochists raise your hand!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • No, thanks. I've had enough already!

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Just have more ambush troop variety, don't change the chances.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

habeo123

Sergeant Knight
Do you guys want more chance to get ambushed? Do you want to get ambushed by something like Assassin and be all buthurt about it later, just because you are hogging like 200k gold?

YES, if I'm running a kingdom that is hated by a lot of people I expect people to send assassins and gangs for my head.

It would be nice if frequency and strength were dynamic, depending on relations with different lords, kings, renown, honor, etc.

The native rate of encounter is something like RNG based on player's level, cap at 25%. I suppose that can be changed. But to be that dynamic, affiliated with many things is going to be hard.

It's hard on those of us who don't play big nasty killers.  I tend to develop more as a leader than a duelist, so unless you allow companion bodyguards, increased ambushes will hurt that type of player more.  :oops:

Well, in PoP I can defeat a Assassin ambush with a Int character, using polehammer.

This makes sure you don't get too nasty on INT or it can backfire you. Assassin here is as strong, if not stronger in term of dps output and can really kill lightly armored opponent in 1 single hit.

habeo123 said:
Well, in PoP I can defeat a Assassin ambush with a Int character, using polehammer.

This makes sure you don't get too nasty on INT or it can backfire you. Assassin here is as strong, if not stronger in term of dps output and can really kill lightly armored opponent in 1 single hit.

And I totally accept that.  I am merely commenting that increasing the number of encounters means a larger penalty.  Is that a fix for an identified exploit of the system, or just an effort to discourage people from playing a particular style?

If you allow bodyguards.. Make ambushes more difficult! I've always enjoyed the small scale fights that the end of siege scenes and ambushes allow. It's a nice change of pace and adds to the complexity of the game. For example, the order in which you have your weapons become more important. Which weapons you're carrying becomes important. Going into a dark alley with a lance, shield, bow and arrow...well. Good luck :razz: 

ShinySpoons said:
If you allow bodyguards.. Make ambushes more difficult! I've always enjoyed the small scale fights that the end of siege scenes and ambushes allow. It's a nice change of pace and adds to the complexity of the game. For example, the order in which you have your weapons become more important. Which weapons you're carrying becomes important. Going into a dark alley with a lance, shield, bow and arrow...well. Good luck :razz:

I can understand that viewpoint.  It's just annoying that a mighty queen, loved by her city, has to wait for morning to do any business because all of her loyal troops must get tucked in to bed at night.    All so you gladiators can have more little surprise fights for fun.  :roll:

I've been turning this poll question over in my mind, and I realized that the only function a queen still must do personally is to sell battle loot.  Fief improvements, recruiting peasants and ransoming prisoners are able to be handled through the advisors.  Could we have the Chamberlain able to open up the merchant windows, too?  He ought to be able to 'broker' booty, I would think.  Adding that would remove any possible objection to more ambush encounters.

And turning it around:  if the desire here is to allow additional intense, small-unit or solo combat at the later stages of the game, how about these ideas:

Random spawns of solo champions at bridges that will challenge players to a duel "none shall pass!" with options for the player reaction:
Decline (bounced from the bridge, spawn remains in place)
Accept (gain 1 Honour, have one on one duel in full gear, spawn removed)
Guards!  Slay him!  (lose 2 Honour, entire player party attacks him)

Random spawns of assassins in taverns that attack the player (like the Belligerent Drunk does) once the player reaches the stage where Belligerent Drunks back down

Back
Top Bottom