Playing Without a Mount

Users who are viewing this thread

I've heard some people describe how they like playing as the Nords. or while having their own character be without a mount buy how do you pull it off? Without a mount it takes forever to get into battle and you seem to end up at a big disadvantage against all mounted units. Even if you use a mount and most of your army doesn't you can run into a situation where you get surrounded before they can move in to help. I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice from people who enjoy playing without a mount. Thanks.

I don't often play without a horse of some sort mainly because I, too, find the footslogging tedious and the battle too hectic, but I imagine you can do perfectl well as a commander-on-foot if your army is infantry too. Just tell them to follow you, charge slightly ahead of you or wait for the enemy to arrive. Yes, you are at a bit of a disadvantage against cavalry but your higher agility on foot and the stupidity of bots mean you can often beat them without too much hassle.

4 of my 6 characters so far have been infantry, I much prefer it to being mounted.

One good thing about being infantry is the extra time moving gives you to be a commander and position things at the start or during the battle. I am never a fully infantry character but an infantry/archer hybrid, that way when the enemy advances or we advance I can still make my mark.

The key to fighting in infantry is not to get surrounded, to help out your troops and to invest in athletics whilst using an appropriate armour. If you get into trouble then F2 is your friend, calling your cavalry or infantry to "follow you" when you are about to be overwhelmed will cause them to come to your side and engage your enemies. That can save you and then once the threat is gone you can charge them again if you wish.

If you are playing against a cavalry heavy army then make sure you have a nice glaive in your inventory and equip it before the battle, then just slash at them as they charge at you. Another thing you can do is just move away from the lance/sword of the rider, the horse may hit you but the damage is minimal.

I really dont get why infantry has such a disadvantage against mounts?

I play Rhodoks, i barely use any units but sharpshooters.. I just tell them to hold position, hold fire so they raise their giant shields, and tell them to stand closer.
Then every mounted unit that runs into them dies a horrible death without doing any damage. :/

I do play on the easiest difficulty, so i guess thats it.

As for playing without a mount.. Just dont let your army spread out, and stick close to them in my opinion.

I've been training up some Huscarls lately and I considered getting down off my high horse and joining them in the mud, but felt that my elevated viewpoint was too great an advantage in command and field of fire to abandon.

What I usually do, is at start of battle hold my infantry and archers in a defensive position, while their cavalry come barreling down at then, the archers pick a few off and I send my cavalry to rid theirs. After that mess, the enemy infantry is still far away and you can join your infantry in the ground after putting your cavalry on foot or in a safe place.

I like the melee battles but enemy cavalry is what keeps me on my horse.

Depending on enemy cavalry size compared to your army, you don't need to wipe them out first.

Certain mods also have some fixes to fighting against cavalry (spear wall, less mounted units, "balancing", etc.)

personally i like to ride into the battle then after a while of cutting down all the enemy troops i just dis mount and join in the fun on the ground

I personally love nords (with the support of Rhodok Sharpshooter) , foot fight is much more intense and harder than cav fights (my first characters were mounted and I got bored) , always keep your troops close , use a shield (plus a glaive or 2hander for mounted/harder troops) and always try to be on a hill or something before the enemy cav assaults , rivers and forests are great too , or a good praise if you are on a open field XD.

Disadvantage to cavalry? I suppose. Although, most players(I think) are competent enough to swing at the right time to kill a horse even with a one-handed sword. At least, I am. And charge damage isn't that bad for me(Does heavier armor affect charge damage against you?). And actually, contrary to many foolish peoples' opinions, you're more vulnerable on a horse because you're elevated. More vulnerable to archers, in general. More vulnerable to melee, if you charge them without brushing against them to knock them down an instance before you kill them. And more vulnerable to horses, given that an infantry character can just stand in the midst of his fellow footmen(F8, F8, F8, F8, F:cool: and swamp cavalry charges. The last one is very, very fun. Also, horses cost too much to keep buying more; you're better off saving that money for weapons and armor for your companions. Besides, horses can't be used in sieges.

I find cavalry battle in open field with/against a big army much more intense then foot combat. Suddenly the whole field is your battleplace and you have to dodge horses and arrows with your mount and manoeuvre across infantry taking down as much as possible. Trying to outsmart the other cavalry, while killing the enemy 1 by 1 while trying to command your troops, while trying to save anyone getting hes ass kicked in battle (like when 2 guys jump on 1 of your guy) and all this at once on a much greater speed then with foot combat.

But.. If you really prefer giving footcombat a try. Get a horse, drive about 200 meters in front of the enemy and dismount.
then you can run around and kill as you please.

I play as a Swadian Footman with my entire ary consisting of footmen and crossbows. I have a few videos on youtube with me doing so.

Sometimes if the opposing army is weaker and has few horses I order everyone to dismount just for a change and with all your knights following you in on foot usually results in some good hack and slash carnage. There's also a couple of mods that have either no horses or very few, Roots of Yggdrassil or Fury of Odin if I remember correctly if you want some infantry v infantry practice, also good use of archery skill is the key to victory in these encounters.

my best tips:

so stats and powers

get a bord shield it will make you arrow proof.
two handers do more damge and let you attack befor most foot troops.
throwing weapons are good if you dont plan on a lot of shooting
full plate is to slow to use bar in siges.

try to had a under 35kg on you or you will be slow going up hill.

Either go all infantry, or all cavalry.
In other words Nords or Khergits.
Shield wall or chaos...both are fun :twisted:  :cool:

I think it's very subjective to say that this or that way of fighting is better. It depends greatly on how you play, what you like to do, what you're good at, and of course, the quality of your troops. Both mounted and unmounted combat can be challenging. I've read a lot about swadian cavalry being overpowered, yet with the underappreciated Rhodok spearmen and crossbowmen I've managed to counter their charges quite effectively. Likewise, the praised nord infantry has yet to prove an actual menace. Now that I've incorporated some cavalry to my army, they don't stand a chance (and no, I don't play on easy difficulty).
I believe the trick to an effective unmounted army is to commandeering them correctly; you have to be more a general than a warrior. Once you enter the fray, you can forget about giving orders around. Here is where being on a horse gives you an edge, since you have a better view of the battlefield, plus the mobility and capacity to effect skirmish moves before enemy groups reach your own and the ability to quickly reach places where your help is needed once the real battle begins. So in the end, I think this is the only actual advantage that being mounted gives: a tactical advantage, which is no small thing, but still just one thing. The rest can be compensated.
Also, know your enemies. If you go into a battle without checking what the rival has, you might have a few surprises. First and foremost, learn the troops of each faction, their strengths and weaknesses (this, I suppose, is rather obvious). Second, check what the enemy lord has in his army before engaging him. Sometimes they might attack you by surprise while travelling on the map and not allow you to do this. Well, you can still get an idea of what they have by scouting their troops once you enter the battlefield (even if you don't recognize their troops precisely by their appearance). Needless to say, a horse will come in handy. Even if you like to fight on foot, you can have a horse just to scout (given that none of your damned lackeys will do it for you).
As far as troop cavalry is concerned, I find spears to work quite nicely. The longer the better. If you're an average archer, when a horseman charges you, you can wait until the very last second and put an arrow in his head, which is always fun. For your troops, just put them together on an elevated position, but beware of their infantry because, as far as I can tell, in this scenario the ones that are in the lower position have an advantage (I suppose it's because they hack away at their enemy's feet beneath the shields). Otherwise, rivers, steep hills and forests are a pain for cavalry, so use them.

As in real life, usually the best army (as far as this subject concerns) is the most balanced one, because it has greater versatility when addressing a battle. Plus, it makes the game more varied. Once you get a castle, you can store troops and change your marching army depending on what you'll face.

Those are my slightly extensive two cents about the issue.

sady the A.I. makes makes most of the general stuff worthless as all the enermy will do is charge.
even on foot you can get a good view of the battle most of the time.
the best commads for foot fighting are:
form a wall
stand on the revres of a hill it spares you a lot of ranged attacks and get you the foot attack as noted.
hold fire just be for you get chaged.

Anti horse
anti horse weapons change based on the horse and rider
armord horses can take alot of arrows,light horses cant but are a lot harder to hit.
riders with shields and good armor are hard to range.

i use a two handed axe in the "flying huscarl" attack i can net my self a horse in oe blow.

I prefer fighting on foot because I cant throw axes on horse :sad: but the good thing about fighting on foot is that it is way easyer to use heavy weapons  :smile:  my caracter is on level 42 and pretty well armoured so I can just  charge in bradichy waving for some splatter and shrug off the wee little taps off the enemys pokes.

The thinng is if you are fighting against lots of cavalry just send in yours! and hang back with all of your infantry. when the enemy cavalry is dead or the last of them have killed yours just charge with your infantry.

In my experience, i find that when i play without a mount in a battle i seem to kill the enemy much quicker yet i get more damage done to me.

I always play an all-infantry force, my character included, and here is some of the stuff I learnt:

Natural terrain is your friend. Deploying your army in front of a stream, or a collection of rocks and trees, can basically eliminate any threat from charging cavalry.

Always keep your infantry close together and following you. When the cavalry charge connects, order your troops to attack and swarm. If the enemy cavalry force moves away, order your troops to back to you.

When fighting an opposing force with a large number of foot-archers, hide just behind the summit of a hill. This will minimize exposure time. When they come into view just over the hill, you can charge without much worry of being whittled down by arrows or bolts.

Against mounted archers, keep your troops close together at the corner of a map or beanth a large terrain feature. The enemy will waste of their ammo, and they cannot shoot at you from all sides. Once they run out, they must close into hand-to-hand combat.

Back
Top Bottom