Playing as a dishonorable tyrant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyrus

Regular
I'm thinking of starting a new game and just being an absolute jerk of a lord/king, so I'm curious to hear the experiences of anyone who has tried playing as a dishonorable tyrant.

Start off by joining a faction and playing the intrigue game to cause rifts within the nobility. Pull stunts like marrying the daughter of my biggest enemy (via eloping). Trying to provoke factions into wars by attacking them in peacetime. Breaking treaties. Raiding my own villages since I'd make more denars from selling what I raid than by taxes, keeping only some villages in a positive relation for recruitment purposes. Refusing to release captured lords unless it's a large ransom, etc.

Once booted out of a faction I'd join another and try to cause them problems, until I've basically alienated my character with everybody.

At that point I would try to rise to power solely through brute force, carving out my own kingdom. I think it would be a really fun challenge playing as a tyrannical warlord, not to mention how fun it would be to act like a total bastard to all the lords.

Has anyone tried this? How was it?

LOL that sounds like so much fun! Usually when you fail a political quest and you get a -rep hit your like "Goddamit! Now i'll have to send him a present!" and stuff like that. Now it would actually would be fun by having them all as enemys hehehe. Go for 100 controvercy. I might start like that. But immediately create my own kingdom and making war to every faction. After I have 1000 recruits nobody will be able to take everybody in a siege.

I started keeping Lords I captured, but when my honour rating went minus, (I did not notice the exat level, too busy defending), all the Kings attacked, and when I tried to reason with them they said I was untrustworthy! Surprising how fast it falls when you are playing nasty, some Lords have no sense of humour  :roll:

sounds like a good idea. Though your going to struggle to get other lords to join your faction which is going to make things hard. Good luck with it all though.

Id be tempted to help a claiment and then go to war with them after haha.

I've been preparing for that... started a character that is INT/CHA based instead of my usual uberwarrior.  I've managed to keep 15 companions so far (Baheshtur left early on and hasn't shown up again so I think he may be permanently gone).  I'm grooming 8 of them for keepers and the rest will be my new lords.  I'm playing as a trader/slaver right now and trying to make enough money to gear myself and my henchmen up with the best items.  Once that happens... I'm taking over.

barcibus said:
I've been preparing for that... started a character that is INT/CHA based instead of my usual uberwarrior.  I've managed to keep 15 companions so far (Baheshtur left early on and hasn't shown up again so I think he may be permanently gone).  I'm grooming 8 of them for keepers and the rest will be my new lords.  I'm playing as a trader/slaver right now and trying to make enough money to gear myself and my henchmen up with the best items.  Once that happens... I'm taking over.

I had a companion leave but poped up like a month later.

dhowlett said:
barcibus said:

I had a companion leave but poped up like a month later.
Me too... but this one's been gone for months now.

well it took me about 300 days just to find lezit or what ever his name is and that was the first time recruiting him.

dhowlett said:
sounds like a good idea. Though your going to struggle to get other lords to join your faction which is going to make things hard. Good luck with it all though.
As part of being a tyrant, I wont take on other lords. The only place for the other lords will be in exile or in my prison. No one will share my power!

So far it's been a fun way to play. I'd taken on a quest earlier to collect a debt one lord owes the other. Once I had collected it, I spent it on equipment for my companions. I do not intend on ever paying it back, haha.

bobthehero said:
Get the taxes from town too, more money and more hate from the more people
Hey, good thinking!

And I just happen to have a quest to gather taxes from Uxhal. Well, that should pay for some Elite Khergit Armor for one of my companions.

Cyrus said:
dhowlett said:
As part of being a tyrant, I wont take on other lords. The only place for the other lords will be in exile or in my prison. No one will share my power!

So far it's been a fun way to play. I'd taken on a quest earlier to collect a debt one lord owes the other. Once I had collected it, I spent it on equipment for my companions. I do not intend on ever paying it back, haha.

Youll need to cheat if you wish to own all the land because the tax efficentcy alone will very quickly bankrupt you let alone garisons.

dhowlett said:
Cyrus said:
dhowlett said:

Youll need to cheat if you wish to own all the land because the tax efficentcy alone will very quickly bankrupt you let alone garisons.

who says that if you cheat you can't have a good game?  i like to roleplay a Vampire Ancient who has just arrived to conquer all of Calradia.  i cheat my player to about level 60, focusing on persuasion and combat skills. 

when i need money i go to a trader or lord and "use" my Compulsion powers to make them give me money. basically i just enter then exit a conversation with them, then go to my inventory and give myself the amount of money i think they would have based on the wealth of the merchant's town or the lord's fief.

when i encounter a large enemy force but don't have enough troops to defeat them in auto resolve, but don't feel like fighting the whole battle, i use "Vampiric Domination" (control>shift>F4) to cause all my enemies to loose consciousness.

if i want to get someplace quickly, i use "Blend With Shadows" to teleport myself and my companions (though not my whole army, that would take too much power) to any location on the map.

when i take part in a battle, or fight in the arena, and my health gets low, i can heal myself (control>h) but i have to be away from the fighting, and healing takes time.  this is easier if i am on a horse, though with my 10 athletics i can usually outrun my enemies long enough to heal.  but if i'm knocked unconsious (Torpor), and taken prisoner in a castle or town, they usually put me in the dungeon to recover, not having had any experience with vampires, and once i have recovered sufficiently i rise and conquer the castle/town.

and, of course, i can use "Vampiric Presence" (control> T) to spy on anywhere on the map.

most of these powers, of course, i can only use at nighttime, since Vampires are, naturally, creatures of the night  ;-;  :cool:

dhowlett said:
I've used TweakMB to alter the troop wages to account for the tax inefficiency, but worse case scenario I'll just take a look at how much is being lost due to tax ineffecifiency and ctrl+x that amount of denar in my inventory.

I was doing that in a previous game where I owned 1 city, 2 castles, and 7 villages. I would lose a couple thousand in taxes every week, so I replaced however much inefficiency took away with ctrl+x.

I don't mind doing that because I don't think it's really cheating. Those denars should be yours, and would be if taxes were collected the old fashioned way (visiting villages). Plus the other lords don't have to deal with raising funds to support their 150-300 troop armies with 200+ more garrisoned. And they get to auto-garrison a castle/town when they take it. We have to actually pay for our troops.

Cyrus said:
dhowlett said:
I've used TweakMB to alter the troop wages to account for the tax inefficiency, but worse case scenario I'll just take a look at how much is being lost due to tax ineffecifiency and ctrl+x that amount of denar in my inventory.

I was doing that in a previous game where I owned 1 city, 2 castles, and 7 villages. I would lose a couple thousand in taxes every week, so I replaced however much inefficiency took away with ctrl+x.

I don't mind doing that because I don't think it's really cheating. Those denars should be yours, and would be if taxes were collected the old fashioned way (visiting villages). Plus the other lords don't have to deal with raising funds to support their 150-300 troop armies with 200+ more garrisoned. And they get to auto-garrison a castle/town when they take it. We have to actually pay for our troops.

The lords are given a set amount of money to spend on troops however. Lowering the wages could possibly lead them to having elite armys or substantialy bigger ones im unsure.

In long term, no body would support you, they simple leave you, or not willing to do what you command them as dishonorable tyrant and will much harder to control large army if they knew you are dishonorable? It's like they thinking "Why should I honor you if you dishonor me?" Just a though.

Dibuk said:
Wanderer1981 said:
"Why should I honor you if you dishonor me?"

Because I will hang you if you don't?
Exactly!

I'm having a blast doing this so far. I haven't tried to start my own faction yet, but I've been going around taking the quests like the one to kill a merchant the lord has a debt with, retrieving runaway serfs, and provoking wars between nations. I've got a good number of lords who dislike me and I frequently get attacked my bandit hit squads when visiting towns, hehe.

Would definitely recommend trying it out for anyone looking to shake things up :smile:

Dibuk said:
Wanderer1981 said:
"Why should I honor you if you dishonor me?"

Because I will hang you if you don't?
How are you going to hang me and other rebel solder who you dishonor if you are alone while many hundred solder who turn againt you when you dishonor to all soldier and thier family by raise tax on them? LOL! It's like angry many bee on you, you better turn and run while your tail down! :smile:

If you want stay power, you have to be honorable to village, where soldier family and friend living in there.

Back
Top Bottom