Player and NPC caster mages and clerics

Users who are viewing this thread

OK, so, this part of this mod is completely unique so anyone trying out this mod will find everything is new and it is to me also.
What I know so far is that "m" will open the list of spells for players. I have also read somewhere that you need to find a mages guild to buy new spells as a mage, read them? and after that they will appear in your player's book.  (Also, armor has a bonus or penalty and certain weapons have bonuses to casting ability but that is all unclear to me still)

But what about NPC casters?  I would like to know what are the starting NPC mages and clerics and what need to be done manage them? What about the ones who you talk to and ask them to become mages/clerics, what do you need to do to manage those?
By manage I mean do you have to find new spells/symbols

The default casters I have found are maybe..
Padubast (undead cleric?)
Raesira (mage)
Aedan (mage)
Molocauduhm (unknown-- has 3 magic power, he doesn't seem to do anything but get knocked out..)

Are there some hotkeys for the spellbook? As for requests, I would really like to have an easy way to cancel a spell, that is close my book, and it would be nice to see what spells are active, like how to know quickly if paladin regen was active or not.

geminitiger said:
OK, so, this part of this mod is completely unique so anyone trying out this mod will find everything is new and it is to me also.
What I know so far is that "m" will open the list of spells for players. I have also read somewhere that you need to find a mages guild to buy new spells as a mage, read them? and after that they will appear in your player's book.  (Also, armor has a bonus or penalty and certain weapons have bonuses to casting ability but that is all unclear to me still)

But what about NPC casters?  I would like to know what are the starting NPC mages and clerics and what need to be done manage them? What about the ones who you talk to and ask them to become mages/clerics, what do you need to do to manage those?
By manage I mean do you have to find new spells/symbols

The default casters I have found are maybe..
Padubast (undead cleric?)
Raesira (mage)
Aedan (mage)
Molocauduhm (unknown-- has 3 magic power, he doesn't seem to do anything but get knocked out..)

Are there some hotkeys for the spellbook? As for requests, I would really like to have an easy way to cancel a spell, that is close my book, and it would be nice to see what spells are active, like how to know quickly if paladin regen was active or not.
- you need a spell book to be a mage (same for NPC) or holy symbol to be a cleric (same for NPC) - also same choises during character creacion give bonus;
- you can buy spells in mage guild, there are 3 in towns and copy to your spell book via camp menu - working for all of you, including mage NPC;
- by hitting 'B' you have access to spell book, by 'N' you can choose what book you want to use - magic or cleric or eg. barbarian (no book but bonus from being hit) - by 'V' you close all books
- when cleric or paladin cast a spell you can see a little sparkle in the air
- armor is important for mages, as some can give +16 bonus in magic and some weapons also give a little bonus (vide necromancer staff can charm undead)

geminitiger said:
how do you give npcs holy symbols and spells?

npcs are given mage or cleric abilities only by you talking to them and selecting that you want to have them follow the path of spell casting (mage) or divine prayer (cleric), but then you need a large sum of cash and either an extr prayer book in YOUR inventory (bought at any of the 4 magic guilds - Elf forest, shinzazuck's (spelling?) ladder (drow), the Mageocracy island west of Jelkala, or the Obsidian tower deep in the south desert.  You might notice these are roughly "East, North, West, and South" compass points from center of map, but that is not important.

Holy symbols are sold at villages all over the map, with a slightly better chance in the snowy villages for blazing hand and in the south desert, but really any village might have them.  The same villages also sell music instruments.  In v150 anyone could at any time take up yet another class just by going through the motions -- but with v155/156 you have to decide early and there is no path whatsoever to add magic user, cleric, necromancer, bard, or even monk (needed for effective use of unarmed damage beyond skill 3).  So either you picked that as one of the two classes at start or you let your henchmen do those classes and you stick to what you focused on.

As for what spells -- they get all of them.  Pretty much.  The thing is, you need to pump up magic power for more spells to be available when they start a battle and according to the amount of magic power skill they roll dice to decide which ones they will take, which will be a different roll each battle - for magic users.  For clerics, they get all spells, but will only attempt to use certain spells if they have enough faith when that timer goes off, and every spell series has a different, non overlapping timer to keep the quick rotation of every caster from causing a quick spike of CPU time.  The spikes you DO see are related to reinforcements and not casting, as during reinforcements every last list must close if that list had a chance of anyone dead being on the list, as reinforcements will re-use dead agent's agentID, likewise any rag dolls pruned - their agentID is now reused by Warband.  Its not me, but if I have that agentID as being on my list of casters and suddenly it's looter 23 that has that ID, my routines might have asked looter 23 to pop off each magic spell they qualify for and generated tons of red errors.  Thus I have to flush my lists and remake them before each reinforcement wave.  But you probably didn't want to know that -- unless you wondered why I wasn't aware of little pauses in battle, and why I let those happen.  Now you know.  By being on a list, I can check only list members for special events, like every one of these timers -- and not every last agent in battle, on both sides, living, dead, horses, and rag doll corpses like Guspav originally was doing.  That's how I can run 250 -350 agents in a siege instead of 40 per side like last year's code.  But that's probably sounding like I'm bragging.  Its more of a confession, as to what you see and what you don't.

Molacadrum (spelling?) is dangerous if you let him join your party all good aligned companions will leave.  But they do so slowly and never say why.  You can leave companion complaints turned off and sidestep this, but be warned. 

Jeremus is a good aligned cleric.  As is Padubast, and Padubast will not cause a reaction in morale with either Blazing Hand or regular troops, due to their deity declaring silently that Padubast has a noble cause.  Aedan and Raesrira are mages.  Raesrira has an interesting back story.  You should know that I removed the good alignment tag from all Blazing Hand Inquisitors -- if you promote your BH cleric to inquisitor, it gains melee fighting but loses some of the healing edge it had, due to alignment loss.  You'll also find friction between Mageocracy and Blazing Hand, not explainable by human skin (both are human).  That's a virtual skin showing prejudices; above and beyond ordinary prejudice.  Vive le Differance.

You should also know every female blazing hand nun is a paladin in training, and those casting abilities are live once they have their mounts.  For healing during plagues, all blazing hand troops count as if they were 3/2 normal level, due to good alignment; likewise evil aligned priestesses etc add to party healing but at 2/3 effect.  That secret bonus is part of the calculation to decide if the third layer menu "I want to TREAT the epidemic" is available to your party, and if so take it, the pay and status is twice normal.  In a similar manner there is a secret party movement buff from having certain scouts, elf forest runners, and even mounted bandits in your party - in fact, anything "ranger class".  There are a number of hidden surprises, some from Guspav and others from me.

Back
Top Bottom