Paradox's Project: War of the Roses - War of the Vikings

Users who are viewing this thread

Kleidophoros said:
On the topic at hand; WoR seems like a user friendly M&B.
Maybe a bit too user-friendly? To be honest, it all comes down to the player base they want to impress. And obviously, I'm not in the targeted player base. :razz:

It justs seems too easy, yknow. I like M&B, because it is a skill based, that has a good combat system, which keeps you playing for a long time. It's not easy at all. Most people can't figure it out and just go back to playing something simpler. Seems to me that WotR is gonna be that simple game they go to.

Joining the MP community 6 months ago and still dying all the time ****ing sucks. Say what you want about depth of the game and people quitting to find other games: Losing every single day because everyone else has 2 years on you sucks ass. If I am surrounded by people who have as much experience as me or less, I do just fine. Except that never happens, because they were smart and quit early. I think if WoR can or WotR or whatever can eliminate SOME of that immense skill discrepancy, the game will have a much wider audience. Coming from a guy who sucks and still puts the time in to get better (although usually it seems fruitless), I think less of a curve is better.

I still think mouse attacking and blocking is unwieldy an unintuitive, and there should be separate controls for camera movement and weapon movement. I only have 2 hands, though, so I'm not sure how it would work.

/rage

ITSP.jpg

Fehnor said:
Joining the MP community 6 months ago and still dying all the time ****ing sucks. Say what you want about depth of the game and people quitting to find other games: Losing every single day because everyone else has 2 years on you sucks ass. If I am surrounded by people who have as much experience as me or less, I do just fine. Except that never happens, because they were smart and quit early. I think if WoR can or WotR or whatever can eliminate SOME of that immense skill discrepancy, the game will have a much wider audience. Coming from a guy who sucks and still puts the time in to get better (although usually it seems fruitless), I think less of a curve is better.

I still think mouse attacking and blocking is unwieldy an unintuitive, and there should be separate controls for camera movement and weapon movement. I only have 2 hands, though, so I'm not sure how it would work.

/rage

^This. I played the beta and a bit after it, but I stopped playing for about at least a year. Now I come back and get my ass kicked by people I was on even footing with before  :mad:

And it's all to blame for this system of blocking. Dueling is awkward as **** cause everyone is thrust spamming. I see the attack, it's just I have to look towards them too, and look down to block down. So I see their thrust, I definately know it's coming, but I want to block down and it blocks left  :cry:

Goker said:
Kleidophoros said:
On the topic at hand; WoR seems like a user friendly M&B.
Maybe a bit too user-friendly? To be honest, it all comes down to the player base they want to impress. And obviously, I'm not in the targeted player base. :razz:

It justs seems too easy, yknow.

How did you draw this conclusion? :???: From barely 2 minutes of gameplay footage?

The only conclusion I drew was that the game didn't impress me. And I said it seemed like a game that wanted to make an easier version of Warband. I didn't it is one, I just said that was the impression I got from flashy animations and sparkling lights.

Goker said:
The only conclusion I drew was that the game didn't impress me. And I said it seemed like a game that wanted to make an easier version of Warband. I didn't it is one, I just said that was the impression I got from flashy animations and sparkling lights.
Yeah we heard you the first fifty times :p

Warband's combat is great and all but as long as they can produce something on a similar level I will be quite happy with it.

I don't know if we know enough to say its a casual m&b yet. It has an identical control scheme to m&b. There is another mechanic where the longer you hold down the more damage (stun also? dont know) you do.

I know warband has this but it is not overly detectable unless there is a huge weight difference between swings, and yes I know it can matter at higher level blah blah, just that this mechanic amplified a bit more so that you can do more with it than just double swing once in a while is a good thing.

In the earlier videos you can see when you chamber attack, there is a second amount of 'chambering' as the swing charges up, arm goes back... weapon goes back. Assuming swing gains more damage/stun the longer it 'charges'.  Yes, warband has this, but it is sooo freaken miniscule it might as well not be there.

There are red dots to indicate incoming swing directions for a block. I am going to strongly guess this will be a server setting that can be turned off. For a beginner that is way more helpful than starting with autoblock, which does too much for you and won't start training you up for manual. A red dot trainer seems like a really helpful thing, but am going to assume it can be turned off.

Shields should have directional blocking that does something to some capacity. Either way that is already more interesting than what we have for shield combat in warband.

There are the gears of war down but not out mechanics in place there. Time will tell how this works, but I know it'll make it harder to win 4 on 1's from time to time since they can keep you away while they revive people you kill. Still, if there is a 'time out' on the effect and/or the revive animation takes a while, its something that'll take place after combat not during. Depending on gamemode/map style I'm pretty sure this can be tweaked as well. IE if its a conquest game it will have different relevance than battle.

Game modes... battle with motf, cmon, that is such an undeveloped game mode in this day and age.  Seige stand on a flag to cap it, woo? All in all very basic, and not fleshed out at all. I still think conquest should have been the one mode to rule them all but it was not worked on one bit, not even one map made specifically for it.

The only thing I see so far are MORE mechanics than m&b, even though what we know right now is very limited, so I don't understand where this whole 'kiddy casual' attitude is coming from in regards to the game.

Guy jumping off roof? So what, you don't jump off roofs in warband or try to smash someone on the way down? Don't know what kind of falling damage or effect will happen when you fall X distance in the game yet. Unknown.

I know some devs interviews have said they want it to be more beginner friendly, but that does not mean that at the upper level it will have no depth or can not be modded / tweaked into a competitive game if for some reason it is not one out of the box.

I don't even know if there is a form of feinting in the game yet and the video doesn't give us enough hints to know if you can change up your swing. The swing speeds did look slower, but that doesn't mean it will lack depth. I still argue that medium swing speed gives you more things to do than fastest, having super fast weapons you can't react to doesn't always mean there are less options to attack someone in an overwhelming way.

But yeah, from what I see here so far is m&b with some extra mechanics. All that behind the scenes stuff warband has is behind the scenes...hit someones head for more damage? Who cares, we can't wear armor and greatsword kills in one hit most of the time anyway. Try to get a speed bonus? Why, it doesn't add that much? It is not worth the effort to set up getting a high speed bonus as it won't gain you much. Maybe sometimes you can get a morningstar to crush when you do it right, ok.

Meh, meh and meh to the extra mechanics. I am glad they are there, but they are so background you can really ignore them for the most part. They hardly ever overrule 'block good' when you decide who wins.

Yeah, warband did it first, and defined the genera, without question, and without their work we wouldn't be seeing the game crafted like this, or maybe even existing. Either way, when they have it out and we find what/if is broken or works in wotr, there is no reason that info can't be taken into account with m&b 2 since it seems they have the longer dev cycle before it comes out.

At the end of the day m&b 2 will have more going for it with the single player in addition to anything they do add to the game, but really I don't see why this is getting written off as being a arcade/casual.

I would think anybody who has enjoyed the multiplayer gameplay in warband at one point or another is most likely going to enjoy what wotr has to offer as well.  I worry it might be too similar and feel boring right out of the gate, but I think there will be enough new mechanics to make it feel fresh.

Egads... the graphics on this game. Simply phenomenal.

I really love the fact that Mount & Blade has competition. It's surprising their own publisher is the one bringing it, but who cares.

Now while M&B has kind of languished the gauntlet is thrown down to step it up on every level. That's good news.

Scully said:
Control the camera with your head using high tech headgear or a camera that detects head or eye movement.
This exists. Not exactly very good for your bank account if you don't play a lot of flight or driving simulators, or freelook enabled games. Freelook in games is great. M&B sort of had it but the lack of head turning on the actual player model made it kinda cheap.

OzyTheSage said:
Scully said:
Control the camera with your head using high tech headgear or a camera that detects head or eye movement.
This exists. Not exactly very good for your bank account if you don't play a lot of flight or driving simulators, or freelook enabled games. Freelook in games is great. M&B sort of had it but the lack of head turning on the actual player model made it kinda cheap.

Having that for Arma 2 would be awesome... Sorry about the off-topic.

Maboobs said:
Fehnor said:
Joining the MP community 6 months ago and still dying all the time ******** sucks. Say what you want about depth of the game and people quitting to find other games: Losing every single day because everyone else has 2 years on you sucks ass. If I am surrounded by people who have as much experience as me or less, I do just fine. Except that never happens, because they were smart and quit early. I think if WoR can or WotR or whatever can eliminate SOME of that immense skill discrepancy, the game will have a much wider audience. Coming from a guy who sucks and still puts the time in to get better (although usually it seems fruitless), I think less of a curve is better.

/rage

^This. I played the beta and a bit after it, but I stopped playing for about at least a year. Now I come back and get my ass kicked by people I was on even footing with before  :mad:

And it's all to blame for this system of blocking. Dueling is awkward as **** cause everyone is thrust spamming. I see the attack, it's just I have to look towards them too, and look down to block down. So I see their thrust, I definately know it's coming, but I want to block down and it blocks left  :cry:

Seriously, just dont... dont talk like this. This is how nerfing of games starts. You guys can become good fighters too but just practise and put some effort in. Dont like that someone with more experience kills you? Well that will happen in every singe skill based game you find. Dont complain about how hard the challenges you face are, accept them and overcome them!

This system of combat and manual blocking is what keeps me in this game the most, so Taleworlds, never change it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm there every day, being bad and trying to improve. I wouldn't play this game if I didn't love the challenge (although I curse an awful lot).

I expect strong M&B players who play WoR to completely dominate to a point new players won't want to pick it up (The same as it's going in M&B now). I don't think this is a good goal for a new game. An FPS is easy to pick up; aiming a gun is easy. Adding in movement, timing, block and attack directions, makes the difficulty and curve go way up. That's great. What's not great is the limitation of controls. I would guess there are very few people, if any, that naturally picked up directional blocking with a mouse. I don't know the best way to add a feature like this. I know movement keys are an option, but that seems just as awkward as doubling camera movement. I need a full body suit with sensor control. The problem is, if I had a suit like that, I wouldn't use it for swordfighting. That would be totally gay, man.

Back
Top Bottom