Paladin build help?

Users who are viewing this thread

besterich27

Veteran
Hello there everyone :smile:
Not quite a newbie to the mod, but I have been playing mostly warriors and/or archers. And I would like to play as a Holy Paladin for the Order of the Blazing Hand, yet I have NO idea how to do a paladin build. Any tips are very welcome :smile:

besterich27 said:
Hello there everyone :smile:
Not quite a newbie to the mod, but I have been playing mostly warriors and/or archers. And I would like to play as a Holy Paladin for the Order of the Blazing Hand, yet I have NO idea how to do a paladin build. Any tips are very welcome :smile:
I'd wait for smurf, he's the master paladin around these parts, but from my experience with paladins I'd go with lots of char and stam early on to get high levels of faith, iron flesh and powerstrike, and when you feel you have one of them high enough put some points into agility aswell (for weapon master, riding, athletics, etc)

strength
Charisma
These are the main attributes for the paladin.
Also, you need a few points in magic defence, but mostly faith, iron flesh and power stike.
Then some points in shield, and a shiny armor and sword.
Now you are a paladin.
ps. Dont forget to get a lot of honour.

Get your ass to 18 Charisma for 6 levels in faith. I believe you get Flame Strike by then. Level up freely after that, mainly in Str for IF, PS and Int for Magic def.

Here's a sample paladin I am playing right now.
Equipment:
Bascinet
Thick Advanced Full Plate Mail
Iron Greaves
Gauntlets of Ogre power
Thick Plain Round Shield
Holy Avenger
Jousting Lance
Golden Stallion
(and a lyre for boosting morale in towns)

Alright, thank you all :smile:
I will try to slaughter them unholy pagan pieces of..
I will try not to roleplay and yell too much when charging them  :mad:

I am back! Sorry college life has been taking a huge toll on my free time.

To the build!!

NOTE: I normally play a Cleric style character, but we have the same principles especially in the form of builds.

Are you playing a Paladin who has any form of RP restrictions? If so you should plan all of that accordingly. * And if at one point you decide to change it you can always develop a reason for him to change (Just like in real life!). Some of these may include traumatic events or a new evil to face.* A good example is my Chaplain swore an oath to never use bladed weapons, but with the upcoming invasion of demonic life into Calradia the order he works for has had to take drastic measures. This includes all high ranking Clerics of the order gaining the Holy Avenger with a temporary approval to use bladed weapons until the demonic presence in Calradia has been silenced.

Stat/Skill wise for Paladin you must think of two things:

1.) You're a Paladin, A leader, the shining light that people follow and look up to. Charisma *Main Stat* with high usage of Leadership and Faith. The leadership allows you to lead troops amongst many other things that are very important and very RP oriented. Faith is your bread and butter it helps you support your troops when the going gets tough.

2.)As a Paladin/Cleric you are the stalwart defender of others. Strength (second stat) then Agility/Int (both third, normally you will want to level these up fairly equally). Let's talk about Strength and it's importance first. Strength allows the use of better armor, and I don't care what people tell you, nothing can be a large of a morale boost to your men as a heavily armored Paladin on the front-lines healing his friends and taking hits for the others. It also allows you to take more of a pounding from the others with high Ironflesh and the hp gain from the Strength stat itself.

Agility and Intellect both offer extremely useful skills, but they are lower on the list because even though they are important they aren't completely needed. Think of them as more of the rounding out of a high level build. Agility will be used for athletics/riding (which ever you prefer) and then Weapon Master + the all important SHIELD. What's the only thing that can make a shield user hard to kill? A shield user with high levels in the skill that's what. Oh, and on top of the fact he can heal just to keep going like the Energizer bunny helps too.

Intellect is another good stat, but because of it's limited uses compared to the others it will be leveled relatively equally with Agility. Intellect offers a big trump card that at high levels makes you a look like Achilles. Intellect offers the Magic Defense, Trainer, and Persuasion skills (Persuasion is a side, not really needed, but I like the way it plays with my characters). Magic Defense will make what used to be one shot kills nothing but scratches as you force your way onto the walls of the castle while hammers, axes, and swords, try to bash away at your shield to no avail.

Intellect may have more of a use if you plan on playing the Paladin that not only heals in battle, but also he heals on the outside with high first aid, wound treatment, and surgery. That however is left up to your play-style.

Note on Powerstrike:
While power strike is a fantastic skill you may not have the extra points to dump into early on. I'd suggest using some form of mace, pick, or other blunt/pierce weaponry until later on. These weapons negate armor for the most part and allow you to still do relatively good damage even with lower level skills.

Which faction did you end up fighting for?

Paladin char for me:
-full armor,
-unicorn (maybe sounds bad for paladin, but heal is very usefull),
-lance and some expensive sword,
-lot in str, power strike and iron flesh,
In my paladin char i made my kingdom went war with necromancers. Enemy was sieging my castle, left all troop in and had fight 1vs600, almost won, but in after killing 500 or more was not watching carefully and too much risked :smile:

Mati_Knight said:
Paladin char for me:
-full armor,
In my paladin char i made my kingdom went war with necromancers. Enemy was sieging my castle, left all troop in and had fight 1vs600, almost won, but in after killing 500 or more was not watching carefully and too much risked :smile:

The unicorn actually somewhat fits the requirements to be a paladin (Shining white stallion :wink:) Lance and Mace would be more paladin, however given that Holy Avenger has been a "godsend" for all paladins, it's the best sword for them :wink:

Arctic_Howler said:
Mati_Knight said:
Paladin char for me:
-full armor,

The unicorn actually somewhat fits the requirements to be a paladin (Shining white stallion :wink:) Lance and Mace would be more paladin, however given that Holy Avenger has been a "godsend" for all paladins, it's the best sword for them :wink:

TBH I would personally use a good mace/warhammer rather than the Holy Avenger (if there was such a weapon!). I just can't find one which has truly pleasing aesthetics AND does great damage with solid speed.

What about th Maul of the Titans? Its rly rly strong in damage. 80b!!!
With a good bunch of dwarven Paragons at your side, you can wait for the enemy to walk up one by one while you smash their heads and kill them instantly. You might argue that its slow, heavy and cant be used on horseback.
I'm playing as a dwarf paladin/cleric :grin: kinda funny to think of a dwarf on unicorn. So far im using a sledgehammer, a... Barduche...? Lol idk anymore. And a military hammer with shield. I think Im gonna change my sledgehammer with the maul and the barduche(? i rly dnt know) with the avenger. I cant have undead as prisoners so I might as well use a more effecgive weapon. Also, the maul gives a crush through block and stun ability. Great!

Xzayler said:
What about th Maul of the Titans? Its rly rly strong in damage. 80b!!!
With a good bunch of dwarven Paragons at your side, you can wait for the enemy to walk up one by one while you smash their heads and kill them instantly. You might argue that its slow, heavy and cant be used on horseback.
I'm playing as a dwarf paladin/cleric :grin: kinda funny to think of a dwarf on unicorn. So far im using a sledgehammer, a... Barduche...? Lol idk anymore. And a military hammer with shield. I think Im gonna change my sledgehammer with the maul and the barduche(? i rly dnt know) with the avenger. I cant have undead as prisoners so I might as well use a more effecgive weapon. Also, the maul gives a crush through block and stun ability. Great!

I found that my heavy great maul was better because the increase in speed rating left me with a higher speed % to increase damage and not give the enemy time to hit me mid-swing.

Back
Top Bottom