[out of date!]English troop and faction translation download link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks to Sigma-Rho we have a English version for both the Troop trees and the factions. These translations are optional and the mod it self will be continued to support the native/latin language troops/factions.

All you need to do to get the english translation is to download the rar and extract it in dev1257/languages/ and you are good to play.:eek: This will be also included with the future SVN revisions and I'll add support the future troops/factions in English as well.

This will also mean that you no longer need to trigger the english translations in the mod options nor will they reset whenver you load a game. In such, those options will be removed from the mod in the near future.

Download link(updated 19-09-2012):
http://dev1257.googlecode.com/files/Optional%20English%20translations.rar

Any translation errors, mistypes and other problems should be reported to me.

I can also generate troop indications as well for those who want to play in the intented languages but want to know the troop types, if there is a need for it?

This little glossary from a topic I opened time ago
may be of some help.  :wink:

Fur - Thief - Looter
Montis Sicaris - Mountain Bandits
Silvae Sicaris - Forest Bandits
Libertus - Freed man, former slave in ancient Rome. I think it now refers to a common serf.
Iaculator - he who throws (missile troop)
Non didicti - something like "those who are not known as", I guess, but I may be wrong
Absolvitor - he who solve, do things.
arcoballista - crossbow
sagittarius - bowmen
Hastatus - man armed with hasta (spearman)
Dux - He who leads, leader
Machaerophorus - He who brings a sword, sword bearer (I think is more greek than latin, anyway)
Gisarme - this is not latin. Kinda halberd, big badass blade
Pedes de cives - citizen infantry
Oppidanus - man from an oppidum (fortification)
Gladius - old short latin sword
Retrobannum - The ban was the king calling for his vassals. The retrobannum was the vassals calling for vavassins and so on.
Vicanus - villager
Servio eques - Serf horseman
Scutifer - Those who brings the shield - squire
Homo armatus - Man-at-arms
Armiger eques - Armiger ahorse
Miles - Knight

Miles and Eques
The word "miles" was originally referred to infantry, while eques was the word for horseman. In the middle-ages
miles started to be referred to knight and general soldiers alike, creating a lot of confusion.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Tomas, I know there are lots of non-Latin reading people out there that appreciate it.  :grin:

Thanks Sigma-Rho & Fitz, and Tomas for posting. I wonder if it would be possible to include this in the next revision, by adding a small tag to filenames [e.g. factions.csv.en]. For users, it would be easier to activate just by renaming files rather than downloading and overwriting. Also 'mod download' would be simpler if it's all in one.

Perhaps two .bat files to switch language as well, I might help with this if anyone is interested / and if nobody else is willing to write&post it :smile:

JohnT said:
Thanks Sigma-Rho & Fitz, and Tomas for posting. I wonder if it would be possible to include this in the next revision, by adding a small tag to filenames [e.g. factions.csv.en]. For users, it would be easier to activate just by renaming files rather than downloading and overwriting. Also 'mod download' would be simpler if it's all in one.

Perhaps two .bat files to switch language as well, I might help with this if anyone is interested / and if nobody else is willing to write&post it :smile:
i think,that this concession is enough,be happy with it :cool:

I don't know, most players don't know about this thread.

Making it optional ingame would please us even more. :razz:

Not saying you should prioritize it, but do it one day :wink:

This is save game compatible right?

I've always been interested in history but the Latin names for everything can be off-putting, imo.

YourStepDad said:
I don't know, most players don't know about this thread.

Making it optional ingame would please us even more. :razz:

Not saying you should prioritize it, but do it one day :wink:

I can't include these in game on a button click change(as in not physically possible).

JohnT said:

That's actually not a bad idea. Just to reduce the 'me latin, no speak" posts. Tho the last time I edited a bat file was way too long. I'd just write a small app instead - this would probably be faster then remembering/learning the commands in bat. Also more stupid friendly :razz:  :mrgreen:

Pirate_Scurvey said:
So does this fix automatically work once you put it in the languages folder?

You need to put both files into the en folder within the languages folder , anything else did not work for me.

Could we get some clarification on this topic? I extracted the file found in the languages folder of dev1257 to no effect within game. Is this fix save game compatible? Also, I do not have a "en" sub-folder like i do for "fr", "ru", "de", etc... is this a bad download? (Yes Ive been able to play the game in English [and Latin] thus far). I've tried to manually create an en sub-folder then drop these 2 files in there, but again there has been no effect.

@Fritz: beautiful interpretation! Just as it was intended. It was difficult Latin terms for medieval apply, but I think it fits so far.

F.F.C._fritz said:
Non didicti - something like "those who are not known as", I guess, but I may be wrong

My Latin is almost as aged as the language itself :smile: but I think non didicti means rather something like 'not being told' or 'unlearned'

winrehs007 said:
How to apply this translation?

You download the file and the copy paste it to program files/mountblade warband/modules/dev1257/languages
or if you're using steam program files/steam/steamaps/common/mountblade warband/modules/dev1257/languages.
Then you extract it.Lunch the game and then maybe in your camp in mod options you click on english translations.
I'm not sure about the last as i haven't used this feature.

sifis172 said:
winrehs007 said:
How to apply this translation?

You download the file and the copy paste it to program files/mountblade warband/modules/dev1257/languages
or if you're using steam program files/steam/steamaps/common/mountblade warband/modules/dev1257/languages.
Then you extract it.Lunch the game and then maybe in your camp in mod options you click on english translations.
I'm not sure about the last as i haven't used this feature.

just install has described above , thats it , no need to click any options if installed correctly it works when u load up game , works with saved games also.

My question from another thread..

Question; is the new revision fully translated to English?

I seem to have problems with it. Either I screwed something up in the folders or have done something else.
Some of the troops are translated, but majority is still in latin. I don't know how to work it, all my older revisions were in complete English.
Thanks for response.
-F.

Back
Top Bottom