Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

For anyone interested, here are a few uniforms I made for the game Holdfast.

(They all get bigger)

holdfastrifle.jpg

holdfastbritofficer.jpg

holdfastfrenchofficer.jpg

holdfastbritinf.jpg

holdfastnavalcaptain.jpg

Very cool, Pat!

Alright, I'm a little stumped on how to make a perfect normal map using Blender and XNormal.

For my Low Poly mesh: I have triangulated the faces, set the edges to sharp, applied an edge split modifier reading only those selected sharp edges, and applied the Triangulate modifier.
For my High Poly mesh: I have applied edge loop cuts to tighten the subdivision modifier to match the size of width as the low poly, and moved the rim of the high poly to center itself with the low poly.
For my cage: I have applied the same edge split modifier after creating the cage, and I have covered both the high poly and low poly at the most minimum projection distance.
For Xnormal: I have set both the High Poly and Low Poly to smooth Average Normals, and kicked the antitalising to x4. In baking options, I do have Tangent Space and the Y coordinate flipped. I have closest ray fails enabled as well as ignoring back faces.

Though, I still get a serrated look on the edges of my mesh, and I'm pretty stumped on how to solve this issue.

https://skfb.ly/6sUCL

RZHhelO

Anybody have any suggestions on how to approach this?

@Jackson, so the problem with my bake lies more on the idea that the rim and helmet is too perpendicular; therefore, I need to bevel the low poly edges?

@Harmi, having the wood stock and the metal share the same scratches make the wood look like its just as metal as the metal on the Suomi M31. I would probably make the scratch marks less noticeable on the metal, and extremely faint on the wood stock. Most wood aren't really something you can scratch. I would suggest a sort of sandpaper wear look on the edges, and if the wood is crappy, have some evidence of splintering.

Yeah, the textures have way too much noise on them. Plus the scratches are very clearly tiling. I'd suggest baking a curvature map in xnormal and using that to mask the scratches on the metal.

Is there a way of UV mapping in blender or another free software programme where I can easily map buildings? Let's say all the angles are right angles, every face is aligned with a global axis, and I want a uniform UV map without too many seams on the outward-facing right angle edges. Blender's smart UV is okay for this but it randomly rotates most of the islands, meaning it can take hours to do something which should be automatic.

Jacobhinds said:
Is there a way of UV mapping in blender or another free software programme where I can easily map buildings? Let's say all the angles are right angles, every face is aligned with a global axis, and I want a uniform UV map without too many seams on the outward-facing right angle edges. Blender's smart UV is okay for this but it randomly rotates most of the islands, meaning it can take hours to do something which should be automatic.

Nothing spring to mind. but you might be better posting a pic of the outcome you want.

Back
Top Bottom