Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Austro said:
Screws still need a bit of work but here is my Webley so far:

W1.png

W2.png

I did not make the model, just working on the texture.
You sir have just made 2012 look a bit brighter

The webley is looking promising, so i will give you some crits.

The finish doesn't appear to be based on refs. I realise that's probably a bit vague but to show wear and visual interest on these revolvers it's better to attempt a patina or worn off areas of finish where it would be grabbed and brushed most. Rather than cloud up the metal base and do "white chalk" scratches. Some blues and predominantly brown should be in there.
Speaking of wear, its probably vastly too damaged for a revolver which, at the time, would have been a state of the art piece of weaponry.

I'm pretty sure (assuming it's for zulu) it should usually have a lanyard in this period. This would look pretty awesome in game if you could rig it and use itp_use_armature... Does that work on guns?

Harry_ said:
I'm pretty sure (assuming it's for zulu) it should usually have a lanyard in this period. This would look pretty awesome in game if you could rig it and use itp_use_armature... Does that work on guns?
Unfortunatelly no.

@Austro:  Good work thus far :smile:

First off, this is heading in the right direction and I think you're making good progress. 

All of this stuff following is hopefully useful critique to help you get that last mile; I'm not anything like as expert about firearms as Harry is, nor do I know period weapons of that time well, so on specifics about mechanical issues and how that would affect the piece, you can take my words with as many grains of salt as you want :smile:

Anyhow, I agree with Harry; the scratches are a bit indeterminate and the normalmap is still feeling a bit flat in spots.  The big issue is the barrel; those big scratches would have taken rubbing up against stone or really banging it on things, which is exactly what you don't want to do with the barrel of a firearm.

Wear on the handle needs looking at; it and the cylinder are the two parts of the revolver that might have seen a lot of rubbing from hands, depending on who was using it and situationally.  It looks like a photo-tex was used a bit there, which is OK, but keep in mind the context.  The cylinder would get some subtle staining and edge wear over time if the weapon was used a lot.

If it was holstered with a flap and used primarily as a symbol of rank, it should be fairly pristine except where it got gently rubbed by the holster while walking or riding, with some minor wear from being used to practice with.

If in an open holster with a user who liked to keep his  hand on the weapon, it might show more wear.  If used in combat, it really might depend.  But, generally speaking, you don't carry a revolver constantly in your hand; it's not like a rifle, where you carry it all day.

OK, on to more specifics about metal wear.  Here we're talking about how use and function influence patterns of wear.  This is a fairly complicated topic, it generally helps to know how a thing is being used (or imagine it fairly carefully).

Guns require more subtlety than swords.  They aren't generally used to bash people with, they don't work well if you bring them in contact with the ground a lot, they have a tendency to injure or kill the user if mistreated.  Don't get me wrong, I love distressed firearms ala the Fallout stuff and I love entropy in general :smile:  But for a historical piece in a historical setting, it's probably better to stick closer to reality, that's also what you want for portfolio.  A fantasy firearm can freely ignore a lot of reality and engage in Mad Max tropes, so, eh, give us a Jin Roh-esque souped-up MG42 or a 4-barreled naval pistol- oops, that was real :wink:

For a good reference of a well-worn Webley, it's actually pretty easy to find; I don't know anything about the weapon other than it being fairly famous, but it was obviously popular and had a lot of minor variations in form.  Surprisingly, Wikipedia's example was rather decent, and really shows some specifics of wear:

Webley-Mk-IV-p1030100.jpg

So, we have:

1.  The brownish marks in the grip patterns, which is hand gunk that never quite got removed because it got into pores in the material.
2.  Close-up shots of the cylinder; I don't know what example you used as a reference, but this is totally different in terms of marks.  Main thing though is the subtle patina where hands wore the finish off, both on the front and rear; if you're not sure about how or why because you've never operated a revolver, watch some Youtube of somebody loading one, it'll give you clues as to what's happening and deeper insight.
3.  Fine lines and scratching on the mechanical parts, with more distress where the parts stick out- that part where the cylinder comes out, for example, with a big highlight.
4.  More wear on the barrel tip, because it would rub against the holster a lot.
5.  Browning on the trigger and the hammer, because both would be exposed to a lot more sweat and mildly oxidized even if taken care of.
6.  Tool-marks on the two bigger screws that form part of the cylinder release system; again I don't know enough about the Webley to give an assured answer, but I suspect those two screws must come out to do a field-strip.  Note that the other screws are nearly pristine; they probably only got removed if the weapon got stripped to components (which, with a revolver, would have been rarely).

Anyhow, hope that's helpful, you're getting pretty close there :smile:

Thanks for the crits, Harry and xenoargh the revolver is actually for a half life 2 mod based on world war one, the person who made the model said they wanted it pretty beat up and dirty.

I have made more progress, on the screws and metal

webleyrender.png

I will post a final render soon that will come with the speed loader and bullets.

Here's a flashlight model I made. This is the first time I've ever made a highpoly model with subdvision and also my first attempt at baking a normal map. It ended up at 1385 tris and 885 vertices.
flashlightmodel.png

Highlander said:
Harry_ said:
Unfortunatelly no.

...****ing balls. I'd planned a few things to use that :sad:

Not even quivers?

Harry_ said:
Highlander said:
Harry_ said:
Unfortunatelly no.

...******** balls. I'd planned a few things to use that :sad:

Not even quivers?

probably it is possbile to rig quivers and scabbards and maybe implement it as an multimeshed objects
only they self cannot have then such things as vertex animation
but if we say that armor + belt with scabbards or quiver is an object and do something like insted of simple quiver+arrows it is only the arrows in the air ...then maybe we can get better result

Austro said:
Thanks for the crits, Harry and xenoargh the revolver is actually for a half life 2 mod based on world war one, the person who made the model said they wanted it pretty beat up and dirty.

webleyrender.png

I will post a final render soon that will come with the speed loader and bullets.

How great is the texture? 1024x1024? 2048x2048?

Very nice gun. It's freakin' awesome. :grin:
Here is one of my models. It's the first building I've ever made.
Please give some crits. :wink:

EDIT: For now there's just a diffuse map, as you can see. Normal and spec will follow.
The diffuse also isn't finished yet.

We're sure about the rigging restriction?

Well, gloves can use rigging, and some code could get around the rest of it.

@Austro:  Looks great; I'd personally like to see more work on the specular (it's too white, doesn't feel like metal) and I think the barrel feels very washed out vs. the body, but it's definitely made progress :smile:

@Lonesomeducky: Really nice for your first go!  Only crit I'll give on that is that the upper surfaces of the plastic probably would have less staining, because it's getting rubbed off; it looks like it got rolled in coal-dust and nobody's handled it.  Just take the yellow and brighten up the bits that rise above the surface a wee bit, nothing major needed.  Otherwise pretty solid, I look forward to seeing more stuff from you :smile:

@S. Blakkarson:  Great little church, good start :smile: I'd like to see much more detail modeled in; it is too boxy right now, needs beveling on the corners and the roof needs to overhang the walls a bit and get fleshed out.  The rear part also has some resolution issues, and looks considerably lower-res than the rest of it.  It'll also need some vertex painting and AO to look really good in this engine.  Anyhow, good first try, keep at it :smile:

Ambient Occlusion, here it means painting parts of the model and/or texture that would be dark most of the time (due to lighting) dark and brightening those parts that would get a lot of light. This can be done by painting on the texture and/or painting vertices. You could paint the vertices that make up the top edge of the wall (right under the roof) grey (so they will look darker in game), for example, because those parts would be darker than they appear in the engine. This has something to do with ambient lighting and ambient occlusion and can make a pretty big difference when it comes to making your models look more natural.

First attempt at making a tree:
clipboard01dy.jpg
clipboard02ob.jpg

It should be able to look alot better, Im just not sure exactly what needs to change.. Suggestions for improvement are highly appreciated!

The branches need to be broader and less evenly distributed; they look oddly vertical, too. The trunk needs to be more detailed than just a simple cylindrical shape with a texture, try making it broader close to the bottom and hinting at some roots that may be visible.

Sierra, they look good.

@ Brego, nice, is it a cypress ? If so, I think the trunk should be more covered and less thick.

@ Soil, the fact that the branches are quite vertical isn't really annoying for a cypress (if it's a cypress).

Austro said:

webleyrender.png

Wow! It looks like it's completely real... How many polygons does it have?

Al_Mansur said:
Sierra, they look good.

@ Brego, nice, is it a cypress ? If so, I think the trunk should be more covered and less thick.

@ Soil, the fact that the branches are quite vertical isn't really annoying for a cypress (if it's a cypress).

Dindn't know the name of it, but it probably is a cypress it's supposed to be :razz: So yeah, there aren't supposed much visible branches, and it probably needs to be more covered. Ill try to make a new texture sheet for it, and also make the branches wider :smile:

But thanks for giving me the name of the tree, cause finding suiting textures to use took me a lot of time :razz:

Thanks for the feedback, guys :smile:

Back
Top Bottom