[NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I quickly putted behind it, "in the open" just outside the trenches outside the forrest. :razz:

Anyway, the beginning of a long line of trenches is on it's way!

69C6B2FF45693B349667E103D3664BDB4AD8691C
Still looks a bit messy, but it will improve over time, this is just the start.

Rusky the map looks good but I would suggest going right next to the trenches with the smooth toolwith a radius of 3 or something with a low hardness and that other bar also pretty low but for the rest great work keep it up

btw i am having some NW regiments signing up as well, and although i only specified N&S regiments are eligible to sign up in the thread, NW regiments are fine also.

so far we are up around 70 or so expected members for the event, and with about 6-7 in the pub regiment so far. keep the sign ups coming we have a 200 slot server to fill  :wink:

the trenches aren't constructed very well. they usually have shelves where a lot of supplies were kept (and should generally be scattered with building supplies and equipment and helmets and things)

the sides would generally be sloped, not flat. It's more efficient to dig them that way.

And duckboards were really important. The way these current trenches are, the soldiers would be knee deep in mud after one day and unable to move properly, getting diseases, etc.

The firestep and parapet are extremely important for the trenches to be an adequate defensive position. The way they are now, it's impossible to move around the trench without exposing yourself to fire (unless this mod allows crouch-movement, though that would be slow and not historical)

to explain what i mean,

Cross_section_of_Trench_Anne_McCullum.jpg

Harry_ said:
the trenches aren't constructed very well. they usually have shelves where a lot of supplies were kept (and should generally be scattered with building supplies and equipment and helmets and things)

the sides would generally be sloped, not flat. It's more efficient to dig them that way.

And duckboards were really important. The way these current trenches are, the soldiers would be knee deep in mud after one day and unable to move properly, getting diseases, etc.

The firestep and parapet are extremely important for the trenches to be an adequate defensive position. The way they are now, it's impossible to move around the trench without exposing yourself to fire (unless this mod allows crouch-movement, though that would be slow and not historical)

to explain what i mean,

-Trenches with duckboards are in
-The trenches are taller than people and we're planning to extend it to be even taller
-Firesteps are in
-We have sandbags that are meant to be placed at the top of trenches to act like parapets
-I've seen plenty of trench pictures that are flat. If it's that big of a deal it would be simple to fix
-Things scattered about the trench is the mappers job to lay down
-I've never seen a trench with shelves before. If there were, I don't see how that means our trenches are poorly constructed because obviously there were trenches without shelves as well. It just means that it's another trench variation we can add.

:wink:

Rigadoon said:
Harry_ said:

to explain what i mean,

-Trenches with duckboards are in
-The trenches are taller than people and we're planning to extend it to be even taller
-Firesteps are in
-We have sandbags that are meant to be placed at the top of trenches to act like parapets
-I've seen plenty of trench pictures that are flat. If it's that big of a deal it would be simple to fix
-Things scattered about the trench is the mappers job to lay down
-I've never seen a trench with shelves before. If there were, I don't see how that means our trenches are poorly constructed because obviously there were trenches without shelves as well

:wink:

i was talking to the mappers, mostly. But trench modules with built in firesteps would be pretty useful. (that way the mappers dont have to trial-and-error to find the right height that an infantryman can easilly "step-up" but still see and fire over the trench comfortably.
if you've seen photos with no shelves or areas for stowage you were probably looking at connecting trenches not intended for firing in. Ones running parallel to the line of advance would obviously not be used as firing positions, and would have no provisions for firing. The construction was not always exactly the same, but usually followed the same basic pattern.

the only reason i could think of for you having seen many trenches with flat sides would be those which have been partially destroyed and hastilly reconstructed just by digging. Almost any photo you can see in which the trench has been retained by woodwork, the construction "cross section" is the same - because you can't fire effectively from it otherwhise.

there were also different layouts for dry soil and wet soil - and different stages in construction for each. In dry soil, first they would dig single-file trenches with fairly straight sides, then broaden the top, add provisions for firing, and finish the walls. In wet ground the early stage would have an angled floor to catch water, then being replaced by the traditional layout with duckboards.

Most the time you can see trenches with no shelves and firesteps, they are quickly dug out earthen things which look like they were dug with a shell rather than a shovel. that's the first stage. You could build those but it doesn't make much sense to show them with breastwork.

The traverse trenches (those running parallel to the line of fire - including those in the "square zig zag" pattern on the frontline trenches) would usually not have firing positions either.

here are some examples from different sides of the conflict, so it can be expected they were not taught by the same school. The materials are different but the shape is the same. The "elbow rest" would often be used as a shelf if it was low enough - they would also sometimes have shelves behind the shooters for their belongings. The point is they didnt just throw them into the bottom of the trench to get rained on.

As for the angled sides - i suppose they wouldnt be totally necessary but it seems obvious that the fastest way to dig a trench would be not to dig any more than you need to - legs need a lot less room than torsos holding rifles.

german+soldiers+in+a+trench+ww1.jpg

a000396.jpg

German%20Hussars%20in%20trench%20R.jpg

if all those things are included as you said, the mappers then, aren't using them in a way which makes sense. Even if the BRFs have all these features, it wont mean anything to the mod if mappers dont use them :wink:

well my map is suppose to be right after the Marne and both sides had just dug in, hence the shallowness and simplicity of the trenches.

Harry_ said:

to explain what i mean,

I see your point Harry. However this is nearly Impossible to do as a mapper. It's already a pain in the ass to get the trenches fit. Let's stand a dug-out behind it.

So you would mean something like this ? its somethign rough though

D642E3AA57A559058F0FEB599FDEB0887271A112
68A6DB8AF763651BDA2C37782FDF04F1C283466B
18B696184C3259B772A368600A15703849CF3C36
DD472410D9CD698EFEEBF97FB968A705B4417EC0
Y'all lking how I use my sabre as a gun :grin:
+With the firestep I placed something so you could ge tin the trnech from everywhere  but the only way to get out the trench is with the trech ladders and other parts

+ you think the ground is about even the brown stuff no mans land

8C676241107D01E581E1054670AD74091495F6A5

What regiment are you signing up for the event and what is the 1st in command's steam name (if none and you wish to join one of the pub regiments then just answer: pub): 6e Brigade (Sanada No Kami)
How many members are in the regiment you are signing up (if you are joining the pub regiment then please leave this section blank): 15
Do you/ your regiment speak/ can understand verbal English: Aye

Bacon169 said:
So you would mean something like this ? its somethign rough though

D642E3AA57A559058F0FEB599FDEB0887271A112
68A6DB8AF763651BDA2C37782FDF04F1C283466B
18B696184C3259B772A368600A15703849CF3C36
DD472410D9CD698EFEEBF97FB968A705B4417EC0
Y'all lking how I use my sabre as a gun :grin:
+With the firestep I placed something so you could ge tin the trnech from everywhere  but the only way to get out the trench is with the trech ladders and other parts

+ you think the ground is about even the brown stuff no mans land

8C676241107D01E581E1054670AD74091495F6A5

Well the dug-out as the picture shows is under the ground. + the trench would be way to big. :razz:

Ye but the dugout is impossible to create in warband you can't dig a sideways hole inw alls as you know sinds your a mapper your selve but what ya think about the flatground ?

Bacon169 said:
Ye but the dugout is impossible to create in warband you can't dig a sideways hole inw alls as you know sinds your a mapper your selve but what ya think about the flatground ?

Well indeed, I said the dug-out is kinda impossible, unless there are "ground" props. And you use those. And it should kind never be that it's just a flat map. It's ugly and un-releastic. :razz:

Oh, and thanks for that suggestion, I have already done it :grin: And Cheers Goki, I'll put some more cover.

@Rigadoon, I'm Baillie! Not Rusky87 :grin:

gokiller said:
Bacon169 said:

Well indeed, I said the dug-out is kinda impossible, unless there are "ground" props. And you use those. And it should kind never be that it's just a flat map. It's ugly and un-releastic. :razz:
ye its jusy my WIP stage :grin: after I placed all my trenches I'm gonna make it less flat its just easyer to start like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom