No.504 Squadron R.A.F - IL2: Cliffs of Dover Roleplaying Squadron

Users who are viewing this thread

Leifr Eiríksson said:
For the Attention of No.504 Squadron:
Again, we shall be participating with the Storm of War Sunday Event mission on the 23rd of November. It is scheduled to begin slightly earlier this time in order to accommodate more pilots in Europe. The mission will also be longer, there shall be AI bombers and larger target areas to be destroyed. Further details can be found here in their thread. We were missing a few pilots two weeks back, I hope we can scramble out two full sections this time. Please be on our TeamSpeak (Lucky Dogs // Ye' Olde Trip to Jerusalem) fifteen minutes early to account section leaders, flight numbers and the order of the day.
Cor blimey, that's bleedin' spiffin ol' chap, innit luv?
I swear on me mum.

Stats are working again, sweet.

Combat patrol by P/O Mitchell and F/S Dunscombe along the coast in the Dover area.
Ground control lead us on a hunt on a lone Stuka over the Channel in the area around Dover. The search was unsuccessful so the flight returned home for re-arm and re-fuel.
Upon resuming the patrol we were informed of a large formation of German bombers returning home, a scattered formation of twelve Ju-87s heading from Eastchurch towards Dover.
We climbed up to Angels 14, caught up and engaged the scattered enemy in the Cambridge area.

Despite skilled evasive manoeuvres, F/S Dunscombe managed to total three confirmed victories, P/O Mitchell has two new scratches to his name.
F/S Dunscombe recommended for field promotion.

Just checking is the above the kind of stuff we should post? That was obviously just a quick mock-up, tying up two unrelated sorties into a somewhat cohesive story.
I assume grid coordinates would be preferable and times should be given as well.
About time, what format? "Nato"? 0800? 08:00? 18:00? Or AM/PM?
More info on take-off and goal of the sortie? How detailed should the combat report be?
And how do we give directions? Azimuth as NUMBER°? Just a rough direction as done above?
Should I add a faux date and signature at the bottom? Or date in the top right or something?

Come on, we got to get this going before the SoW campaign starts for real.

Anyway:
In plain terms, engaged poor old Combat Wombat again, the ol' Stukla fiddler, despite hitting him like crazy he was suddenly gone. He had landed in the channel, which counted as a emergency landing and the gunner still engaged us while drowning. :roll:
Man the guy can make the old tub dance...
Afterwards we took off in Maidstone, or tried to. The ****ing runway is glitched like ****, DO NOT TAKE OFF THERE. The runway morphs into the ground at places and is generally uneven.
Dennis very nearly crashed, I got thrown about and got stuck in the ground with the left wing.
Took off in Biggin Hill instead, we formed up, found the Stukas over Eastchurch, enagaged them until well over the channel. Their faffinf about BS was worse than usual and when we landed we only had 1.97 kills between the two of us according to NetStats.
Well, the website said we got five of them, so there's that :lol:

I feel that's a testament to how effective the mixed ammo belts are, heh.
Or maybe they changed something about how kills are counted, because like I said, according to Net Stats Dennis "only" managed to get .97 points when we left.

The squadron now has as many full victories as shared ones! :>

Also seriously, having Dennis as F/S is silly at this point :razz:
Despite his obviously suicidal tendencies.

Cool. That'd be helpful.

Something I definitely will do different for whatever I write: bind it into (fictional) context of larger operations. Especially when it's sorties like only two of us.
I feel that having two planes detached from a full fledged patrol, send off to investigate reports of a lone aircraft along the coast is mostly sensible and also what ground control did during the event two weeks ago, but I should obviously not call that a full fledged combat patrol.
Also, I should've skipped the re-arm and re-fuel, pretended it was all one sortie and said that we were pulled into another squadron attacking that returning flight and were ordered to join that effort instead of trying to rejoin our own fellas. To explain why only two lone 504 pilots were around.

Also, I definitely say we should add a spoiler below where we give a quick run-down of what actually happened in "normal" writing.

Wellenbrecher said:
Just checking is the above the kind of stuff we should post? That was obviously just a quick mock-up, tying up two unrelated sorties into a somewhat cohesive story.
I assume grid coordinates would be preferable and times should be given as well.
About time, what format? "Nato"? 0800? 08:00? 18:00? Or AM/PM?
More info on take-off and goal of the sortie? How detailed should the combat report be?
And how do we give directions? Azimuth as NUMBER°? Just a rough direction as done above?
Should I add a faux date and signature at the bottom? Or date in the top right or something?

Come on, we got to get this going before the SoW campaign starts for real.

The squadron now has as many full victories as shared ones! :>

Also seriously, having Dennis as F/S is silly at this point :razz:
Despite his obviously suicidal tendencies.

Morning Welly.
Here are two images of the same report, they were submitted by Douglas Bader during September of 1940.

And here are a selection of other reports made during the same year, you'll see that they're all formatted differently but generally follow the same style. It's worth noting that there is a distinction between the pilot reports and the eventual squadron combat report which was put together by the squadron's 'Intelligence Officer' after colluding the individual pilot notes. The heavy-yellow report is one such; you'll see that it's much more formal.

From what I can gather by looking at the examples (there are more on the internet) you should be referencing a rough location of the engagement (including time), however what is always made a priority in reporting is the making of the actual kill or scrap with the enemy. A measured engagement distance is ideal for confirmation from other pilots, including length of burst and effect upon the enemy (you don't report it on every aircraft that passes by, just the ones that you feel are 'kills' or 'shared') - it also provides a database of ideal distances from which to open up on, something the squadron can learn. RAF sorties of the Battle of Britain were largely one or the other; interception or patrol (patrols tended to drop off further into the summer months).

I agree in that we should get in a better habit of doing this type of light-RP before the proper SoW campaign starts. I also think we shouldn't rely too much on the hard statistics for confirmations of kills in-game. It would be a more engaging experience for the group as a whole if enemy contacts are measured by the eye and witness reports as per the period, rather than simply dodging out to the website for verification purposes of submitting a new report. In that manner, we'll all keep a sensible tally and keep some modicum of perspective for our flights and sections whilst flying. In short; watch your mates and confirm their kills during engagement. Aircraft that simply drop out of the bomber stream and disappear from our view cannot be counted as a 'confirmed kill' from our cockpit, even if the database later confirms it. Of course I don't want you to all give up on looking at the SoW website, it's very exciting to look at what bloody toll we've reaped but I do think that if you want to go about this pilot combat report business we should be measuring it properly with all the joys of human error.

Flight Sergeants were not unknown to lead sections and flights during the campaign, nor to have a high-tally of kills. The RAF did not operate on the same merits as the Luftwaffe whereby the aces were at the front of the pack and generally higher in rank. I chose to distribute ranks based on how often I had flown with you all at the time of creation, there was no other criteria really. Besides, I'm sure Dennis will find some way to prang his crate on some poor blighter within the next few sorties.  :smile: I was musing on the issue of 'medals' and 'promotions' last night but couldn't come to any reconciliation. It may be something that would work better in the 'one-life' scenarios of the SoW campaigns that are on their way - pilots who survive multiple sorties will have their distinctions made.  :razz:

Hope this helps somewhat.

Finally :razz:
Yeah, I fully agree with the confirmed kills. I would've edited that into the above post if you hadn't posted in the meantime.
With the mock-up above, the most notable thing were the surprisingly large amount of kills as opposed to what we actually saw, the sortie itself was bog-standard "try to stick with a ****ing AI Stuka that's defying gravity and common sense" crap we've done dozens of times by now.

I'll read those reports later after work, thanks for those.

However two things still:
For sorties with two folks or something we should try to make up some context that makes sense. Like I said, it feels a bit silly two have a two man patrol, so saying one got detached from a proper full flight by 504 gives it context that makes it look less like a game.
Well, assuming something amusing happens, anyway.

And secondly, underneath the report a spoiler with a quick run-down of what actually happened, for example to point out poor Combat Wombat again or post screens or whatever. Or in another post or something, just so it doesn't get lost without context.

Anyway, mission bloody well successful, innit luv? Baited both of you into finally doing something about this with the work of three minutes! :razz:

there is still place for you guys on the cast

DSw64.jpg

The server will be passworded next Sunday, they'll hand it out on TS 15 minute prior.
Event will start a 1800 GMT.

Oh and could we get a little roll-call maybe? :smile:
Menjoo already told me he'll be there and so will Jim and I.
Would be really nice to get two full sections up.

So that's one section at least, sweet.
Monty, Ulf, Vovolov?

/edit
Moore said it "sollte klappen", so I'll just count him in.
Zah is being a terrorist and hasn't answered yet.

I might be there or I might not be there. I might be at home Sunday, or I might have moved to the other side of the country for a while. We shall see.

Alas, I am not available on Saturday nights. That said, I will be 'back home' for the Christmas period from the 6th of December onwards - so there's that! Happy hunting ol' fellow, keep safe.

Back
Top Bottom