News:a chinese game copying M&B is around the corner

Users who are viewing this thread

That game is ridiculous! The punching made me laugh so much! I hope it is a failure and that they go bankrupt.
kpetschulat said:
Competing with a game that hasn't even been released yet? China isn't even 10% of the sales for Mount and Blade. They really have nothing to worry about.

Dude you have no idea about...well, anything do you?

Some Questions:

It seems like it's two completely different games here people are talking about, the first post with the screenshots and the video post seems to be quite different. Like the graphics seem to be much better in the screenshot, am I getting this right? Or is it actually just the same game?

Some Viewpoints:

Huge wall of text incoming. Just wanted to give you guys an "(half) insider" perspective on the situation.

Disclaimer: From Hong Kong, considered to be part of China, but with a different legal and political structure.

Quite obviously both (or if they are the same one, the)  games are blatant rip offs of Mount and Blade. For the screenshots, the maps are almost identical to the Arena and ruins. For the video, the blocking, punching animations can be considered direct copies of Warband ones. Without doubt, the games are illegal copied games of Mount and Blade.  For those arguing against it, they are either not looking at the evidence provided or just lying to themselves.

Before I go on with my other points, I would like to give some background on the copyright situation in China. China has almost no, or just nearly unenforceable copyright laws - there are much more blatant copyright issues unaddressed which spans across the internet industry to even theme parts and much much more - this MB ripoff, is nothing special and nothing surprising. (Examples http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1998580,00.html). But there are two common misconceptions, firstly, China does not only ripoff foreign products, this is not an "anti-foreigner" thing. Secondly, the reason behind these "rip-offs" are not completely commercial, but also political for some cases. I mentioned the first point to point out not only foreign companies are being damage by such a system, plenty of small Chinese companies come up with successful innovative products that get pushed out of the market and 'eaten' by big companies that can copy their product with much more marketing and R&D budget - small Chinese companies are being hurt by this system too. To elabourate on the second point, China has it's own Facebook (Renren), WhatsApp (WeChat), Twitter (WeiXin or something), Google (Baidu), Google Maps (cant rmb), Wordpress/Blogger/Tumblr (Sina or something), again the prime motivation is not to damage foreign companies or gain an economic advantage, but to gain more control over the Internet in China due to political reason. Obviously, for MB ripoff, the motivation is most purely commercial, but to understand the whole situation such a digression was necessary.

Building on the last two points, I would like to bring out a new perspective that is often not understood when outsiders look into this issue. Firstly, many Chinese are victims of this system and do not agree with it. The system in the end only benefits 1) the big companies (which is partially owned by the government and other powerful people in the society), and 2) the government's control. And hence, unless mislead by some propaganda, the general Chinese citizen, especially web-citizens actually condemn this system. It is easy to collectively view the government, the rich, and the citizens as "China", but saying that this collective "China" gives no ****s about intellectually property and fairness in the market is also blatantly wrong.

While I do completely agree that this system has to go, and eventually, without this system, China and the world will be better off with more intellectual innovations, it is not such a simple issue to just enforce copyright laws. There are two issues - one is that the people in power obviously do not want copyright laws, as they are the benefactors of the lack of these laws. You might go on to use this as a point of how democracy is great, or why China needs a better government etc... but to draw a parallel, the US can be said to be in the same ****ed up state as of now - with the income inequality reaching new highs, the blatant greed shown in the financial collapse, no true solution in income inequality, to reducing the income of the top 1%, to stop 93% or something of the income recovery after 2009 going back to the top 1% has been implemented. The reason behind it is the same, the powerful (the rich/politians in US, and the officials/rich in China) are gaming the system. So, I feel it is unjust, or pretty hypocritical for people to bash on the Chinese system, when these issues are equivalent severe in other aspects in the US. To bring out a slightly controversial point, I believe outsiders are being excessively harsh on China, given the social developmental stage it is in. Read this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2013/04/26/economically-russia-is-roughly-where-the-united-states-was-in-the-1950s/. China is even behind Russia in terms of GDP per capita, it is easy to look at China and say, wow it's the second biggest economy or even soon to be first, but in terms of PER CAPITA, China is way way way behind, and is extremely poorer than the USA. Current China's Economic develop is just similar to the US in the 1940's, when US still had segregation, the UK still had highly inhumane colonies. China certainly has it's problems, but it is unfair to judge the progress and develop of China from the perspective of the Western social development stage. In fact, I must say after studying in the US, given the vast resource US has, the vast ideals US upholds, and the harsh critiques they give to other countries, I am much more disappointed with the corruption, inequality situation in the US than that of China.

I apologize for the huge digression, but generally the points I really wanted to convey is:
[list type=decimal]
[*] The system does only hurt foreign firms, but it's hurting Chinese people just as much
[*] Such blatant copying is shameful. And the general population is ashamed for the firms who do it, and the government that allows it. Please don't generalize such actions from the firms and the government as the representation of the viewpoint of "China"
[*] Finally, The foreign media needs to stop blatant lying to portrait China as some huge threats that are using unfair practices for world dominance. In reality, people are still freaking starving in China, and we are just trying hard to catch up economically to live a happy peaceful lifestyle. It is true that we're ****ed up in a lot of aspects, including copyright issues, but on the scale of things, we have a tonne of other problems to deal with, and reality is, we know it is a problem and we are trying to deal with it, but it is hard, just like the income distribution reforms needed in the US.
[/list]

Lastly, those who think we're "intellectually inferior" so we have to copy things - all I can say is  :lol:. We had a few great modulers (e.g. rubik) from China on this forum, and if you care to look at the Chinese forums, the talent of Chinese modulers are immense. It's just too bad we don't have a good system to economically encourage innovative development and hence all the copying; certainly not due to intellectually inferiority  :roll:.

Non-politcally Viewpoints:

Taleworlds seriously needs to keep us in the loop for Bannerlord. It's been like 3 years, we're just awesome fans - and yet all the give us is a <10 min interview, and a teaser video that really could have been made in 5 hours...

The community involvement with regard to the development of Bannerlord has been horrid compared to the early days of Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband. Being a "bigger" company doesn't mean the community cannot be balanced, look at Riot Games, they're still doing a great job at keeping the community in the loop, adding player involvement into the game development.

With all these new competition coming up, I think Taleworlds should try to do more to keep the community excited and invovled...

Sil Good Feeling said:
btw, why no chinese team in the last NC? =)

The living standards of the average Chinese is not as good compared to that of a Westerner. So, the majority of Chinese play games in Internet Cafes. Internet Cafe. Now from there it should be self-explanatory why they probably aren't in the Nations Cup.

By the way Chinese Internet vigilantism is quite remarkable, going so far as to identify bullies in YouKu videos and getting their numbers and address. I hope the folks on that 800,000 member forum will screw this rip-off over.

RaVeN said:
Sil Good Feeling said:
btw, why no chinese team in the last NC? =)

The living standards of the average Chinese is not as good compared to that of a Westerner. So, the majority of Chinese play games in Internet Cafes. Internet Cafe. Now from there it should be self-explanatory why they probably aren't in the Nations Cup.
This and/or ping. Have fun playing with 300/400 ping.

Si-A-erra. said:
I don't see how pointing out flaws in the US makes it ok for China, if anything now we should moan at BOTH of them for being crappy places. <3 yurop.  o/
I don't think he said it was OK, I think he was saying that people shouldn't be so hypocritical by telling another country to fix it's ****, when it's own country has it's own unsolved problems.
Which was to indicate the difficulty of changing it, and not to try and make it look less bad.

Wait, how about sticking to the topic of this specific stolen game. Why do we have to feel sorry for the Chinese before criticizing the practice of intellectual property theft in China? It's ridiculous.
Property rights should be enforced by the rule of the law, or people won't create or invest in new property, including intellectual creations like games. If you are Chinese, please complain to your government.

Yeees, please complain to your government, chinese people...

mr_burns_evil.gif

I dont know about you guys but im here to play the best possible game, if it takes a rip off to scare tw into releasing a better game so be it, if it takes a ripoff to further the fps first person slasher genre warband has made then also so be it, im not here to favor a company im here to play a game type I love, hack and slash with real control of your actions, warband is the only game of its kind, it WILL stay that way if people are stingy and want to keep it to 1 company only, im just saying that relax on the china thing I would have rather that chivalry and wotr made their games properly than follow the rules lol but im not saying they should break copyright laws im just saying that we wont see more games like this unless we let that code get used

No madness, just no.

If you truly liked the genre you would not want a pirate company STEALING code, ideas and even bloody sounds, that is ridiculous, if yu liked and cared for the genre you would support innovative and genuine ideas, not things stolen from a years old game. That will simply stagnate and will lead to COD syndrome.

Si-A-erra. said:
No madness, just no.

If you truly liked the genre you would not want a pirate company STEALING code, ideas and even bloody sounds, that is ridiculous, if yu liked and cared for the genre you would support innovative and genuine ideas, not things stolen from a years old game. That will simply stagnate and will lead to COD syndrome.

The cod syndrome, I've heard its quite severe.

Personally i don't feel offended when Chineses are copying western things, stuff, or anything  cultural.
I even feel honored, you can't broadcast your culture/identify and blame someone else for copying you.

MadVader said:
Wait, how about sticking to the topic of this specific stolen game. Why do we have to feel sorry for the Chinese before criticizing the practice of intellectual property theft in China? It's ridiculous.
Property rights should be enforced by the rule of the law, or people won't create or invest in new property, including intellectual creations like games. If you are Chinese, please complain to your government.

I don't think the Chinese Gov will give a **** about the people, like they have over 1.5 billion citizen, and corruption, injustice and other political problems.
It's THE infamous China we're talking about.

About stealing intellectual products, in this case M&B "game content", it's very hard to formally accuse that game just because of the resemblance map layout and gameplay mechanic. They have different graphic still, and probably other added feature, and it's in Chinese. You wouldn't have a firm evidence to bring it to the court.

Drakken said:
Personally i don't feel offended when Chineses are copying western things, stuff, or anything  cultural.
I even feel honored, you can't broadcast your culture/identify and blame someone else for copying you.
Then maybe you would be honored if I stole your money. Grow up, it has nothing to do with cultural superiority you feel for some reason.

habeo123 said:
MadVader said:

I don't think the Chinese Gov will give a **** about the people, like they have over 1.5 billion citizen, and corruption, injustice and other political problems.
If nobody does anything nothing will happen. The Chinese government is influenced by its people, just look at the blogosphere.

habeo123 said:
About stealing intellectual products, in this case M&B "game content", it's very hard to formally accuse that game just because of the resemblance map layout and gameplay mechanic. They have different graphic still, and probably other added feature, and it's in Chinese. You wouldn't have a firm evidence to bring it to the court.
There's quite enough evidence, please read the thread.

habeo123 said:
MadVader said:

But but... more government = better for everyone according to lefty liberals

Back
Top Bottom