news 1.38 Release 25/09/2011 (Update with 4 servers to Download)

Users who are viewing this thread

AlxGvr said:
Hey! I asked about it in suggestion thread! :smile:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,193265.15.html

This would be great!
In WFaS you can do it with mercenaries, but there is no big choice of ammunition. This is my most loved feature in WFaS.  With that feature Brytenwalda will be a best mod  in the universe)

have you some screenshot of it in WFaS? dialog or menu?.

I will do some. It`s a dialog menu with mercenary captain. "I want to hire some men" and "I want to change equipment", next dialog menu "armor", "shields", "boots", "horses" and so on. It`s like "I want to change equipment" -> "shields" -> "steel shield" (here list of available shields). But, honestly, i don`t like this system. You can`t see items and their specs. So it will be better to do something with upgrade tree. Make line of special units ("i want to hire some men in my personal guard" as a dialog option for Constable) For example, only Heavy units can change their type to your personal guard soldiers. So they are no more in their native upgrade tree, but in a new one. Make three or two levels of their evolution as your personal guards, and make you be able to compose equipment set for each level manually. At left - field with their equipment, at right - field with all available equipment, so you can drag items with your mouse from the right field to left one. Is it possible to do things this way?

p.s. language on my screenshots will be russian :smile:

In WFaS there are four levels of special units evolution: recruits, experienced, veterans, elites. Problem is that you can`t compose equipment set for each type. So your recruits will wear the same set as elites or veterans. Waste of money.

When you change equipment in this dialog, all mercenaries in your party and garrisons will change it too. So if you have 200 men in the garrison you must pay a lot of money to reequip them. But that`s right I think.

Here is a dialog screens.

ecTij.jpg

KFOgz.jpg

IDcU5.jpg

a86Sb.jpg

But i don't think that this is a very necessary feature for Brytenwalda.

Sobakozoid said:

Yep, just like hunting and many others)
Truth is, in that times soldiers equipped themselves. But nothing prevents you from equipping your small personal guard as a King.
Make this feature available only for King and only Heavy and Elite units can get in that squard :smile:

Or make this feature available if your kingdom is large (no less than 6-8 cities) and your renown is also very hight.

Having a way to change troop equipment would be great. I would say balance would have to be making it cripplingly expensive, which it would be. Maybe just making some items interchangeable with others... like instead of chain, you could let them have lamellar or scale armor, if you prefer that look or want to standardize your soldiers into a more professional force.

Limiting it to being only capable of being done as a King as previously mentioned by another poster would also be a good limitation, I would say.

Idibil said:
@Frelancer players

First it is best a Brytenwalda bugfree, and then, add freelancer.
I have tried Freelancer mod for vanilla... And i must say that it has too many exploits! Sometimes it can ruin the gameplay.

1. Player gets ranks too quickly. Half an hour and you will get a highest rank and top and very expensive armor and weapons.
2. With its feature to go into the city when your lord is there, tournaments become infinite... so you can participate in tournament 10...100...1000 times per day in the same city.
3. When your lord loose battle and you become a captive all of your equipment stay with you... so, after that, you return to your lord and get, again, top equipment, that corresponds to your rank. So, you can exploit that by choosing weakest lord who will often loose its battles and soon you will have inventory full of expensive armor and weapons.

AlxGvr said:
Sobakozoid said:

Yep, just like hunting and many others)
Truth is, in that times soldiers equipped themselves. But nothing prevents you from equipping your small personal guard as a King.
Make this feature available only for King and only Heavy and Elite units can get in that squard :smile:

Or make this feature available if your kingdom is large (no less than 6-8 cities) and your renown is also very hight.

disagreed. equipping only elites is no fun. you should be able to equip anyone you want. What would balance it out would be the number of your troops, and price in general. You face a natural choice of either selling items for money, or equipping your troops with items. They don't need to be super expensive. Naturally, when your army grows, you won't be equipping each and every one of them.

If I can't see brave peasants equip the items of their fallen enemies, if I can't see that one peasant with Dena raider helmet, then IMO there's no need for this mod :smile:

They mod exist people! It does not need any changes, only to be compatible with Brytenwalda.

YourStepDad, you mean equip soldiers with items from your inventory?
I speak about different thing - to have access to all items. So if you have 200 men, you can dress all of them in to lamellar armor if you have enough money.

How about special armor and weapon bulk trader at your court?

That would be nice too., since I want majority of my soldiers to wear that new red leather tunic.t hough dressing them all in such gear would be insanely expensive, but, a few at a time and it would work out :wink:

Thanks Sobakozoid

I was look into at it. System in WFaS run like a upgrade, but with items. It mean really buy items to your troops (no loot).

How player can use this? I dont know. When player udgrade that unit, he get best items, why wish he buy?
However, I like player vision/opinion. It need work to implement, and I like know that really it is necesary feature.

I would like to request to the authors of this wonderful mod to be careful in implementing such a large change (as far as balance, gameplay, etc. goes) as the ability to equip the men.  The dark ages were not an age of mass military and economic mobilization in times of war.  Men did not have uniforms.  There were not, likely, significant stockpiles of arms and armor held by the king for use by his soldiers.  This was an age of small warbands and petty kings.  Men brought their weapons to battle.  The upgrade system as it exists is unrealistic enough, but may be justified in that experience and loot brought veterans who were better armed.  Men carried the weapons and armor that they personally owned into battle for their war leader in those days.  They did not receive standard equipment from their commanders.  Battles were generally fairly small, involving warbands of at most hundreds of soldiers (this is one of the reasons that the Warband engine works so well for a game set in the time of Brytenwalda).  So exercise caution.  Perhaps only the most elite soldiers could be given elite weapons as gifts for their service.  This seems feasible.

At least make the ability to equip your soldiers optional if you add it.

cpkuntz said:
I would like to request to the authors of this wonderful mod to be careful in implementing such a large change (as far as balance, gameplay, etc. goes) as the ability to equip the men.  The dark ages were not an age of mass military and economic mobilization in times of war.  Men did not have uniforms.  There were not, likely, significant stockpiles of arms and armor held by the king for use by his soldiers.  This was an age of small warbands and petty kings.  Men brought their weapons to battle.  The upgrade system as it exists is unrealistic enough, but may be justified in that experience and loot brought veterans who were better armed.  Men carried the weapons and armor that they personally owned into battle for their war leader in those days.  They did not receive standard equipment from their commanders.  Battles were generally fairly small, involving warbands of at most hundreds of soldiers (this is one of the reasons that the Warband engine works so well for a game set in the time of Brytenwalda).  So exercise caution.  Perhaps only the most elite soldiers could be given elite weapons as gifts for their service.  This seems feasible.

If so, we should have two "lines" of upgrade: 1) upgrade skills according to experience (as usually); 2) upgrade weapons/armor by buying or looting it. It would be more historically accurate than a traditional way of upgrading in m&b, cause as you pointed out there was no significant stockpiles of arms and armor held by the king, and we couldn't just "upgrade" dozens of men and give them new shields and swords simultaneously.

maga said:
cpkuntz said:

If so, we should have two "lines" of upgrade: 1) upgrade skills according to experience (as usually); 2) upgrade weapons/armor by buying or looting it. It would be more historically accurate than a traditional way of upgrading in m&b, cause as you pointed out there was no significant stockpiles of arms and armor held by the king, and we couldn't just "upgrade" dozens of men and give them new shields and swords simultaneously.

I totally second this.

One more thing, my internet connection is very slow, is there an update version for 1.38 from 1.37, or do I have to download the whole mod again?

Commander Shepard said:
@YourStepDad: Thanks! It finished downloading for me so I took a look for myself. I love it how the tunic + leather vest armor was added, one of my favorites from Vikingr. I've also noticed a special Frisian shield and a partly gilded helmet too. I have no doubt there's tons more.

@ Lethwin: I know wiki isn't the most reliable of sources, but according to this, glass became more in demand for church windows in the 7th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_glass

I understand its use and what not but the role you play in the game really does not have much relation to glass making.  As a warlord, glass windows just are not really that important to your cause (good for smashing though lol).  Now, if they incorporated a religion influence system (build churches or shrines in your kingdom which could influence certain troops) THEN glass might come into play (just an idea).  Kind of like in the Total War games.

@Lethwin Far Seeker

You have warband 1.134, you need warband 1.143. Update plz.

You try this too:
force_single_threading = 1

Ok I updated Warband and I have force single threading on.

I made a character and clicked continue to fight the bandit.  Crash.
Restarted and fought a custom battle.  After sailing around in circles for 10 minutes (is there a way to steer the boat???) I had no problems and finished the battle.

So I made a test character "asdfasdf".  Fought the bandit and even did some trading in the market.  No problem!  So I Save&Exited and clicked Start New Game CRASH.  Really confused here.
Is there any chance that the selections in my character creations could be causing this?  It seems I have better luck when I just randomly select attributes then when I make my "Irish Bard" Character with certain history and stats.

Idibil said:
Thanks Sobakozoid

I was look into at it. System in WFaS run like a upgrade, but with items. It mean really buy items to your troops (no loot).

How player can use this? I dont know. When player udgrade that unit, he get best items, why wish he buy?
However, I like player vision/opinion. It need work to implement, and I like know that really it is necesary feature.
That is because the system of upgrades for mercenaries is different in WFaS. When your troops gain new rank they NOT get any new gear, they get only characteristics boost. So, full upgrade will consists from 2 parts: training+buying new rank (experienced - veteran - elite) and second - buying gear.
But once again I don't think that this system is much better then standard when troops gain new rank with new gear.

maga said:
cpkuntz said:

This would be wonderful, however it would also mean a total overhaul of a system that already works. I can imagine it would be painful work to rebalance everything.

Back
Top Bottom