new opition in game?

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it is unfinished.. but when a faction is eliminated sometimes Lords go to exile and are never seen from again.. this option would allow them to return to the realm.. maybe allowing you to sway them to your cause.

I wish there were additional options for captured lords besides just ransom.. maybe send to the salt mines or execute. :smile:

Here's the way the current version works.  By default it's off.  If you turn it on, then once a month the game runs a check, to see if there are any lords in exile.  If there are, one of them is randomly selected, and the following logic is applied:

- If the lord's original faction is still active, then the leader of that faction pardons the lord.
- If the lord's original faction is not active, the lord looks for a new faction according to the normal rules that are applied when a lord leaves a faction (either due to being kicked out or defecting).  He will prefer factions with vacant fiefs to factions without vacant fiefs, but will not join any faction if his relation with its leader is negative.

NPC lieges automatically grant pardons (just as they automatically accept defecting lords), while the player must approve them (just as the player must accept defecting lords, when the game is working properly).  Pardoning a lord gives a relationship bonus between the liege and the lord, and also with other lords who would have relationship losses if the liege exiled him.

If no faction was found, nothing happens and the lord remains in exile.  (If cheat mode is enabled, a debug message is also printed.)

Design considerations

The reason I made the check monthly instead of adding it somewhere else (such as the political calculations trigger in simple_triggers.py) was to keep pardons from being too frequent, and to make it less predictable who would return from exile.

Having had some time with this, I believe I could do this differently, and the copy I'm using myself has some changes.  I wanted to err on the side of minimal change -- my general philosophy is that it's better to change too little than too much -- but once-per-30-days feels far too slow when I'm actually playing, especially since a lord will not always return from exile even if there is one that could.

Here are the changes I have applied to my personal copy:

- The check is now weekly instead of monthly.
- Instead of picking a lord completely at random, the exiled lord with the best relation with his original liege will be selected.  Since negative relations move back towards zero semi-randomly, this generally means that lords who have been exiled longer will return sooner.

Other ideas that I haven't done any work on

- Offering pardons to specific lords in exile as a liege.
- As a vassal, trying to convince your liege to take back a lord who he kicked out.

zParsifal said:
Other ideas that I haven't done any work on

- Offering pardons to specific lords in exile as a liege.
- As a vassal, trying to convince your liege to take back a lord who he kicked out.

That would be pretty sweet!

Back
Top Bottom