New economy changes are very good for the long-term health of the game, disregard the criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

I completely agree, in Warband even if you had cities you could find yourself in a financial crisis sometimes while in Bannerlord after a point your gold keeps getting piled up, up and up like a mountain without any challenge at all which is why they keep nerfing gold gain...

When I wrote that people need to think ahead, I was thinking about what they should spend their money on, I should've been more clear regarding this. An example is that when you've just invested in a caravan and two workshops, and you're sitting at 10k denars, and you see a piece of very attractive equipment that costs 9k denars, while your party upkeep is around 500 a day. Do you purchase that piece of equipment or not? I'm willing to bet the vast majority of players prior to the patch, would purchase that piece of equipment because there were no risks whatsoever.

Now, however, after the patch, there's alot of risk involved in making the same decision. It could still pay off, your caravan might not be attacked, but the odds of it being attacked and defeated is bigger now.

I agree with your core premise I just think what they implemented it is a very bad way of accomplishing that. Fundamentally I think your idea that decision making and resource management should be meaningful and have consequences, I just think this does a bad job of achieving it.

I think they're just trying to tackle some issues which are easier to fix, before moving on to some things which require more time and resources, such as building up perks from the ground up. It's clearly not an issue of them "just not working", but of simply not having been developed at all yet.
Perks are easy to fix, modders already done that. Basic diplomacy is easy to implement - modders done that in a few hours. Melee AI fix is easy - just revert it to 1.0. Exploits are easy to fix - a few lines of code at most. But no, who cares about a stable and interesting game? Lets break something again, it's not like we have a huge playerbase on our hands, waiting for a stable release without BS like this.

I started a new game after public release of 1.1.0 I focused mainly on trade and there is no problem to gain money form caravanas. Day 636 and it looks like this:

2020-04-17-17-06-2.png
Yes, but majority of players have seen their income become deficit after the patch.
It could be that it is balanced with a new saved game, but this patch was save game compatible, even though the economy changes have been drastic.
The changes made could be adversely affecting the economy of my saved game. I had a caravan generating around 1k excess gold, that is now failing to cover for it's wages. Workshops, due to how ****ed up the demand, and market prices are, with every raw material becoming overpriced almost, are generating ~100 denars.
My expenses are around 1.2k a day, and I'm losing at least 300 denars daily, when I was in a solid situation before the patch.

And no, the pottery workshops really didn't bring in that much money, at least not in my experience.

When I read original post, it's obvious you are talking about early early game. When you make your own kingdom, and reach late game, and devs said they have problem with late game, and you have 25+ vassals , and 45+ fiefs combined, the real problem is not how much you earn per day, the problem is you don't have where to spend all that money. When you equip all your companions with max gear, you literally don't have serious expenses except peace deals, because army which should be biggest expense , is extremely cheap.
Nerfing shops and caravans is not a good idea, because in late game 80% of my income is coming my fiefs.

Fix all the perks first, then worry about the economy. It's very cart before the horse to adjust the economy when not every core feature is even implemented yet. Most Trade skill perks don't even work yet but they're already trying to balance the economy? Diplomacy is incredibly bare bones. Fiefs are also starving incredibly too quickly as well. Instantly running out of food the very second a siege is started and Prosperity shouldn't have a negative effect on food production. (Definitely increase food storage)

Once all the core features are in place, then worry about balancing the economy, if you keep trying to balance the economy before everything is added then you're going to have to re-adjust the economy every single time something new is added which is a waste of time.
Adjusting trade skill perks are low priority when the whole game economy is so broken you can earn infinite money.
What to do with trade perks when money rolls in anyway?
They did the right thing imo

I think this has more to do with the focus of the devs than anything else.

Why are they re-balancing the economy when there is so much of the core game yet to fully develop like perks, like politics, like quests and the storyline, bugs, optimisation etc...

Balancing is something you do once the game is closer to release and all of the core elements are in place. Otherwise you end up balance passing after every patch because something you introduced has a knock on effect to something else, you end up chasing your tail.

Besides this caravan nerf / re-balance actually messed up the whole economy. Now cities are going broke because the caravans used to transport their goods are being destroyed...a clear example of an unintended knock on effect from a unnecessary balance pass. Now they are going to have to spend time undoing / solving that problem instead of working on the core features.

Perhaps TW should forget looking at the minutia of things like that and focus on developing the core features.

Last edited:
how will we make money if even fighting will be "fixed"?
I think the goal is to be like Warband, where you don't "make money", until you own multiple rich fiefs.

And it kinda makes sense. In warband, you really had to think about whether you wanted honor, or the ransom money from a noble, since that 5k denars could keep a mid-sized paarty going for a fair amount of time. In Bannerlord, it's more of a convenience thing, since the ransom noney is pocket change.

Loot wise, it was the same thing. You wanted to take that risk the early game and fight the sea raiders, to get your hands on some chainmail. You were happy when you got a positive prefix version. You hand to think which companion gets what. Now, you can just buy out whatver the best things the towns have.

Trading wise, if you wanted to trade, you needed to dedicate a companion, or the player to trading skills. Now, even if you stick a guy with Trade skill at 0, he will somehow still turn a passive profit.

etc.

Having a large stable passive money income from early game, closes and oversimplifies many aspects of the game.

What I don't get, ans please don't get this wrong as I ask why the devs didn't integrate the perk/skill fixes of the Modder from day 1? There are some mods out there which fix nearly every flaw or problem I saw. And if not I am sure someone is maybe modding it already. Wouldn't hurt to ask if the devs are allowed to include it in the next patch and look over it make some fine tuning to their code and everyone wins.

How can you say with a straight face that the devs should focus on fixing other things, not the economy. Do you live under the illusion that the whole company works on one issue at a time? There are teams, each responsible for a different aspect of the game, each team working on their respective task. Some things are done faster, some slower. Also, some updates you can only release together because individually they would not work. The idea that the entire company spent the last few days pulling all-nighters just to make an economy balance patch at the expense of everything else is demented. Many issues are being worked on simultaneously and the order of their release is not tied purely to what the devs consider most crucial at the moment.

If they fixing it right then sure you can praise them all you want, but right now it's still half baked change. That's why there's criticism and, If you can just disregard all of them because you and handful of people don't have the same problem like others then I'm sure it's not gonna end well for the development and community of the game.

All people can have their opinion.

Economy was not good before but atleast it was playable, now everything is broken, caravans not worth, fiefs starving and broken.
Takes a hour to sell my loot after a big battle.They had one problem now 4, and half of the game is missing and bugged.

How can you say with a straight face that the devs should focus on fixing other things, not the economy. Do you live under the illusion that the whole company works on one issue at a time? There are teams, each responsible for a different aspect of the game, each team working on their respective task. Some things are done faster, some slower. Also, some updates you can only release together because individually they would not work. The idea that the entire company spent the last few days pulling all-nighters just to make an economy balance patch at the expense of everything else is demented. Many issues are being worked on simultaneously and the order of their release is not tied purely to what the devs consider most crucial at the moment.
Yes, but they have managed to break the economy. That means the update wan't really tested. It also means that they are going to have to go back and re-work that update. So rather than making progress they have actually gone backwards. That kind of development gets rather expensive.

A decent testing phase before roll out would have revealed that issue.

Yes, but they have managed to break the economy. That means the update wan't really tested. It also means that they are going to have to go back and re-work that update. So rather than making progress they have actually gone backwards. That kind of development gets rather expensive.

A decent testing phase before roll out would have revealed that issue.

Yeah they pushed a broken update. Maybe that is why they pushed it to the BETA branch. When they announced the beta branch, they said they will deploy stuff there that will not necessarily work, test it for about a week (longer if necessary) before incorporating it to the main branch.

You can have testing before patches, or you can have frequent patches, not both. I personally prefer this model, the patch is pushed to BETA where is cant hurt anything, the playerbase tests it much more thoroughly than internal testing could, when its polished it gets pushed to stable. We get frequent updates and everybody gets to whine on forums every day - everybody wins.

Agree with the main opinion and agree with changes. Also, agree with trying to balance economy as soon as possible if TW has resources to do It while create new features and fix other critical bugs. It is not like if all the company would be working in economy balancing and leaving aside all other things... Be real.

Back
Top Bottom