New competitive maps please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hm. Not many clan leaders interested yet it seems. Who exactly has been contacted so far?

Either way, updated Rhodok Town here:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/116384406-4.jpg

With this description about tactical elements (taken from the Calradia Explorers Guild forum thread about the map):

The map is laid out as a infantry focussed battle map, like Nord Town. It is ensured that a large part of the map can be accessed by cavalry; cavalry is able to ride around most of the town in an 8-shape, additionally some 'dead end' areas can be accessed, but pulling out there after combat is a bit trickier.

I intend to place one teams' spawn at the castle, and the others' at the graveyard/gate area. From spawn to spawn, it's about 35-40 seconds of walking in almost a straight line. Visual contact can be made earlier. Buildings and archways as well as different height levels ensure that directly shooting from one spawn to the other is impossible, however. The castle spawn has three direct routes the players can take: Two lead up on an elevated area of the town, the third with only a slight elevation directly to the town center. The graveyard spawn too has three direct routes: Outside a small gate into the village outside, directly through the archway to the town center, or to a garden-type area that is also slightly elevated. This means both teams have direct access to high ground - accessing that high ground from the other side (from the town center) is a bit more tricky and leaves you open to attacks from archers stationed there. Graveyard-teams' elevated garden only has two paths leading towards it, one from the back (from the graveyard), and a more easily defendable one from the front (from town center). Castle-teams' elevated street can be accessed from four ways. Two at the back, two at the front. It can not be accessed by horses, making it a different type of area that will mainly be attractive to archers and infantry, as it grants great mobility and a good overview over most of the town. Due to the many access routes, however, it is less easy to defend against infantry and archers - cavalry however, as I said, can not reach that area. This hopefully will force the team that spawns on that side to use different tactics, without giving it any advantage or disadvantage over the "garden team". From the graveyard, a little village can be accessed. From there, a gate leads back into the city and towards the elevated street. A somewhat hidden siege ladder leads up onto the outer city wall. Another siege ladder within the walls also leads up there - a third one leads up to the wall from the opposite direction, from the elevated street. This means both teams, should they both rush to it, would take about the same time until their archers can be deployed on the wall (which is an important strategical position). Graveyard team has two ways to access the wall, while castle team only has one ladder leading up there; however, that one ladder is very easy to defend, and should castle team HOLD the wall, they, in turn, have at least two ways to flank the other team from.

Generally, the most important strategical location will be that wall, along with either the elevated street or garden, depending on where the teams decide to go. The garden is a lot easier to attack as cavalry and doesn't offer as much protection for infantry and archers, which means a cavalry, focussed team is best setting up their defenses there, hoping to lure the enemy into attacking that place and then surprising them with a mounted charge. An archer-heavy team should rather attempt to take the elevated street and wall as soon as possible. Flag spawns aren't decided yet, I suppose I will place one to the elevated garden (to make that place more important), one to the town square in the middle (a place that's otherwise too dangerous to hang around at), and maybe one between the wall and the elevated street, which means both teams probably have archers watching over that place, with possible cavalry support from the town center (warning though, cavalry has to pull out the same way they came in here, as they can't access the elevated street, making it a risky decision to use cavalry at that place).

Generally, everything's up to debate and likely subject to change, but I tried to include many possible paths and playstyles, strategical elements and such, without making the map overly complex or confusing, and keeping a hopefully rather good balance. (No mirror balance, though. I hope noone will have an advantage, but there IS a difference between the two spawns. Asymmetrical balance ftw, imo.)

Very cool map! I'll have to check it out later in person. As for contacting other clan leaders, I hope Kenneth is interested in this as well as WK. There hasn't been any real luck since everybody only gave this thread one short glance and looked away, so I hope that I can at least grab the attention of 2-3 other clans into supporting this, and then later other clans can follow our example. I myself am a lord of GK, so we already have one clan behind this.

Updating the specifics..

OP is updated

Slytacular said:
Mad Dawg said:
I feel most server owners/admins are interested.  Make the maps and I'm more than glad to try them out.
Nice map, Spec.
Does this mean Balions are in support? I'll add you to the list of support right now.
It means that if people take the time and effort to make additional battle maps it would be greatly appreciated, assuming by the whole community, and I personally am more than willing to view/test such maps upon completion.

Edit: I doubt I would choose them for a competive match but pub play they would be great.

Mad Dawg said:
Slytacular said:
Mad Dawg said:
I feel most server owners/admins are interested.  Make the maps and I'm more than glad to try them out.
Nice map, Spec.
Does this mean Balions are in support? I'll add you to the list of support right now.
It means that if people take the time and effort to make additional battle maps it would be greatly appreciated, assuming by the whole community, and I personally am more than willing to view/test such maps upon completion.
Excellent, when would be a good time? I was thinking some where in August, I'll host a viewing session.

Mad Dawg said:
Edit: I doubt I would choose them for a competive match but pub play they would be great.

Isn't that the point of the thread though? If we can get maps appraised by most competitive clans (from all regions) as being playable in a competitive atmosphere, that could really break up some of the monotony.

MadocComadrin said:
Mad Dawg said:

Isn't that the point of the thread though? If we can get maps appraised by most competitive clans (from all regions) as being playable in a competitive atmosphere, that could really break up some of the monotony.

Sorry Mad Dawg, is there something here in this thread you do not understand?

That would be great, most of the ones we already have aren't even very good; many aren't balanced at all and others make no sense whatsoever.

I sense we might see a Community Patch for WB MP now that TW has given up on serious patching of it, beginning with the glitch free maps we use in the ENL ( which hopefully will become standard ).

Angantyr said:
That would be great, most of the ones we already have aren't even very good; many aren't balanced at all and others make no sense whatsoever.

I sense we might see a Community Patch for WB MP now that TW has given up on serious patching of it, beginning with the glitch free maps we use in the ENL ( which hopefully will become standard ).

Fixed Native maps.. Didn't even think of that. Thanks for the idea!

@Madoc: fixed it. I hope.

No harm in testing it out, I suppose. I'd also like to play in a forest much rather than in towns and open fields all the time.

Slytacular said:
MadocComadrin said:
Mad Dawg said:

Sorry Mad Dawg, is there something here in this thread you do not understand?
lol, I'll try to keep up with the fast paced thread.  Thanks for the concern.

Back
Top Bottom