Nations Cup 2011: Referee Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

And here we are, at the second Nations Cup Event, and third major Warband competition since this great game came out. Thus, we can say we gathered some experience from the previous ones, especially regarding referees. This is a guide for all the referees that will participate at this edition of the Nations Cup. Nonetheless, other people can read this to see how things work for a referee. It won't be a super detailed guide, for it is not really necessary, but all the important things will be here. Let's get going!

After applying and being accepted as a referee, you assumed quite a big responsability. If you think that a referee will just hunt for glitching, you're very much mistaking. A referee's job ranges from chat moderating to important decision making. These are the main responsabilities of a referee:
  • Make sure the tournament server rules are respected before the match starts. It is very important. Also, make sure the teams understand the rules. There were cases when teams decided that the rules weren't correct after the match ended, thus starting flame wars on the forums... which we, as organisers, don't want. Please check the rules thoroughly before each round, if the server was set up earlier by a server admin, or, when setting up server, make sure everything is all right. Ask the captains of the teams to double-check. Only after this step you can send the: live on restart message.
  • There are maps where people can use subtile glitches, for example Nord Village, where people can jump from one of the ledges without receiving fall damage. This is a very important glitch. Those few HP points may give that team the edge.
  • One thing I noticed in some clan matches is that some sneaky admins could change the remaining time. Watch the time carefully or try to just use your pocket watch (yes, we all have one, given by our grandfathers...).
  • Sometimes, problems may appear during matches especially because of faulty or incomplete rules. In these situations you may want to stop the match and contact the organisers and the other referees.
  • Some people just want to talk. Sometimes they talk too much. Excessive trash talk in the main channel is forbidden. Make sure it doesn't happen.

If I managed to forget or screw up anything, please post in this topic. We want to make this competition as fair as possible.

Some other things to take in consideration are related to the match organising. I will reinforce some rules here. If you cannot comply, please don't apply for referee.
  • Every end of the week we will gather all on Steam or TeamSpeak to disscuss situatons and matches. These meetings would take only 20-30 minutes so I don't think they will screw up your real life. Seriously...
  • Please try to apply for matches that you are sure you will attend to. I really don't want to be overwhelmed on Steam with referee requests 10 minutes after the match started. If something unexpected happens, please contact me. I will find a solution.
  • Check match topics and always be carefull at the schedule. It is very important we are all aware of what is going on in the tournament.
  • EDIT: Be aware that all matches will be scheduled using the GMT time. (GMT+0)

Okay, this is all I can think of right now. Any suggestions and criticism, please post in this topic.

About me. I'm Crazy_Archer. I was referee and moderator for first NC and main referee for ENPL. I did some mistakes too, but we are all humans, aren't we? Anyway. Good luck and have fun (kinda hard when watching, but, trust me, there are many interesting things to see and learn in these kind of matches).

Cheers.

Yes, of course, I'll be there(more once a week). That's not problem for me.
Ow, thanks for guide, because I'm understood, that this is really hard work, and i like this :razz:

You should probably have some sort of guideline as to what to do if you see a team glitching, or breaking the rules in any other way. Obviously it wouldn't be strict as a lot of this stuff is circumstancial, but still...

Mr.X said:
You should probably have some sort of guideline as to what to do if you see a team glitching, or breaking the rules in any other way. Obviously it wouldn't be strict as a lot of this stuff is circumstancial, but still...

Well, IMHO, if a player is glitching he could be eliminated from the game and the team won't be allowed to use another player in his place. Also, the team loses the round. I think this is the best way to handle glitching without ruining the actual game. Regarding minor rule breaking, I think a 2 warnings wouldbe enough, then the same punishment as for glitching. What say you?

Speaking about glitches:
I think we should change punishment into: "1st usage of exploit: warning, if the team that does it wins the round, refree may consider replaying the round if the win is achieved thanks to the exploit"
"2nd usage of exploit: defeat in round."

Arcas Nebun said:
Astinus said:
Also I notice that's no official statement about looking through wall glitch, I think we must add it as a glitch

Yeah, but I wonder how will we, referees, manage to notice if someone is using it.
Yes, it's quite hard to do, but if there's someone standing near a wall looking toward the ground it starts to be quite obvious. It's hard to catch but we should treat it as a glitch

@Astinus , the rule is  to give default win to the Other team . But if the other team agree , still want to play etc. The referee could decide a compromise . in that case 5 rounds to the other team.

Lord Willy said:
@Astinus , the rule is  to give default win to the Other team . But if the other team agree , still want to play etc. The referee could decide a compromise . in that case 5 rounds to the other team.
I don't see such rule in the rules' thread, I think you should add something because right now everything is up to the referee's will

@Lusty, I'm not saying that they didn't break rules, I want only to know what behaviour is expected from referee in such case

Astinus said:
Lord Willy said:
I don't see such rule in the rules' thread, I think you should add something because right now everything is up to the referee's will

@Lusty, I'm not saying that they didn't break rules, I want only to know what behaviour is expected from referee in such case

Being a referee involves getting into situations where you will have the final say. That's why this role is very important.

I think discretion has to be used, in some cases. If you feel unsure about a decision, you can put the match on hold, if necessary and refer to another match with a similar incident (hopefully there aren't too many :razz:) or quickly contact another referee (e.g via steam) to help with a decision. At the time, I contacted Willy for advice.

captain lust said:
I think discretion has to be used, in some cases. If you feel unsure about a decision, you can put the match on hold, if necessary and refer to another match with a similar incident (hopefully there aren't too many :razz:) or quickly contact another referee (e.g via steam) to help with a decision. At the time, I contacted Willy for advice.
Yes, I totally agree on that! But most of the decisions could be made without another ref, provided the ref that makes them has enough experience.

I'm not saying that a referee should be able to make sudden decisions, but when it's possible should be better to have equality in the judgement, since as I said in similar case I would have the match replayed instead of awarding autowin, and this could change the outcome of a match

Back
Top Bottom