Napoleonic Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr 47

Recruit
Keep in mind, this is just random musings right now. I have neither the skills nor the time to make a workable mod :razz:
Anyway...
Ive seen some mumblings about the board that a Napoleonic-era mod might be good. I think it would be quite workable since loading/firing a musket would be sort of similar to the mechanic for loading/firing a crossbow (in the game that is, RL is a different matter :razz:).
Essentially the musket-weapons of the game would be big, high-power, low-accuracy crossbows. Rifles would be around, but fairly rare and they often take quite long to reload. Swords would still be around, but not really used all that much except by the cavalry, same with spears (thats what bayonettes are for :razz:).
Also, a system for cannon/howitzers would be nice. Possibly a modified 'horse', your chatecter can 'mount' and 'unmount' on a cannon, move around VERY slowly with one and fire a lovely selection of shot.

The formation system (what little of it exists :razz:) might need updating, as would the AI so it would USE the formations. Getting your men into a line would be fairly important if you expected to actually hit anything.

i think this era is too impractical for m&b, because cannons wouldn't work at all. i think it would be more boter than its worth. it's a good idea, but i think it's too impractical.

i personally think this is a very good idea because adding a cannon for example would open the path for the creation of warmachines.Your idea about the muskets isn't bad,it is a nice weapon to send an enemy to oblivion :twisted:

Hmm.. I guess you could change the amunition to a big huge ball, and since the first cannonballs didn't explode, you woldn't need an area effect. Just make the missle go really fast.

Lu Bu said:
I dont think it would be good too, also there are many napo games out there. :razz:
Really? Could you show me an example of a non-strategy Napoleonic war game in the third person that isnt really horrible?
:razz:

Other than that, I think cannons might work as I said, if not, just make them like a really big crossbow thing that has an encumberance of about 100.

I didnt said that any of the games would be good. *laughs*

Also how do you want to carry a canon and then shoot it like a crowbow. That would looks crazy!

What's this obsession with cannons? Forget about them, they wouldn't even fit that well in the small scale skirmishes that make up M&B's gameplay anyway. Just being able to lead my 95th rifles against some French dragoons would be enough for me :grin:

No...I was saying that you could make a big model of a cannon that had an encumbernce of something like 100, it would slow you down MAJORLY. It wouldnt be really realistic, but it would look good enough for the M&B crowd :razz:
Anyway, they might not fit in, but they would be fun ^ _^

Aside from the cannons, the mod seems perfectly workable, all you would NEED is new models and animations, possibly add more 'crossbow' weapons that use aforementioned models/animations.
It would be very innacurate, but would do insane amounts of damage when it it.
Other weapons might include blunderbusses, pistols, rifles, that sort of thing, in addition to swords and lances used by cavalry and officers.

I have been working on a napoleonic mod a little bit, I have a musket/rifle model but no other models - I could really do with some sabres for cavalry (french and british).

I have also been trying to create some missions and currently have a "capture the imperial eagle" and "return lost standard" missions pretty much working.

However, it is just a plaything of mine at the moment and I don't know if I will ever get it anywhere as good/involved as the greater mods in development elsewhere.

What about a mod "The German Empire"? I know something about this era, people and the units: Grenadiers, Fuesiliers, Musketeers, Jaegers, Uhlans, Hussars, Cuirassiers and Bismarck, Roon, Moltke and Wilhelm I as heroes... We need uniforms, helmets, muskets, rifles, bayonettes, sabers, spears ans some other items. Too bad I can't make modells or textures. I could only provide you with information.

Lu Bu said:
I didnt said that any of the games would be good. *laughs*

Also how do you want to carry a canon and then shoot it like a crowbow. That would looks crazy!

No offense (yea i hate it) but i think you put down "*laughes*" at the end of almost all of your Post, I myself counted two of them on the first page of Your Three Kingdom mod

I think the mod should focus on Europe as a whole, not just the 'famous' players like Britian and France, Russia has some interesting stuff going on. Like hordes of cheap infantry :wink:
Possibly you could do merchant runs from the Ottoman Empire (not realistic again, but meh :razz:), and places like Venice, protect convoys and all that.

The only problem with introducing new factions is that many missions are triggered with regards to a specific faction town - having more factions means you would need more towns else (start mission {go from town A to town B} - mission complete, new mission {go from town A to town B} ad nauseum). I could be mistaken in that respect but it would require a lot of work creating many new towns.

I am going to introduce some other nationalities troops - mainly as enemies e.g russian deserters - though I may give them a single base to work from.

Sounds good, but I think you would only need two factions in this case, although they would be fairly spread out...
You would have 'The French Coalition' and the 'Allies' (cant remember the historical name), although the factions would be rather spread out, and you might have to make some kind of bridge to England :razz:
But it would add to the...atmosphere to see the different 'nationalities', even if they were in the same faction.

Ok, I have been fiddling with this mod at the weekend so it seems to be going alright - I'll start a new topic as i could do with some help on possible units and modelling etc.

Sizzlingwok.

Back
Top Bottom