My take on some of the WEAPONS in game and their BALANCE

Users who are viewing this thread

Frankly I'm pretty amazed by this game and a lot of the in game weapons are amazing.
but there are some serious problems that strikes me as odd, some are game breaking and others simply need improvement.

- ranged weapons are kinda op a lot of the time! for example, an arrow to the head does 3-5 times as much damage as a spear thrust to the head... a throwing spear hits even harder... i know it's because of the velocity calculation, but still maybe tweak it a bit. also helms should do a lot more protection against arrows, they can tank rifle bullets for gods sake.

-spears are too weak. aside from cavalry situations, spears don't do much damage due to the low relative speed on foot. and they suffer from close range not being able to hit with the sweet spot for full damage. pair that with how easy it is to block a thrust and how little shield damage it does. spears are arguable the worse melee weapon on foot. god forbid if you don't have a shield, someone can literally punch you to death with 50 attacks of 2 damage hits after sidestepping your initial thrust.
in reality, spears are fantastic weapons that are much much stronger in melee. first they were designed to be used while blocking with the shield, that's right, you have 2 hands and can use them both at the same time. spears were easy to learn and were generally easier to master and use compared to the sword. also in a shield wall and many close quarter situations, there's not enough space for you to swing a sword not to mention the possibility of slashing your allies. but spear thrusts require little space to function, also, you can hold the spear at different spots to be able to access it's range of reach from arms length to couple of meters away.

-horses are too weak. the trample damage in the game is almost none-existent. lets be frank. half the kills cavalry are able to inflict in real battles are from trampling the opposition. getting hit by a fully armored horse running at full clip will basically kill anyone or at the very least knock them out for a good amount of time with severe injuries. Also, horses wear blinders so they can't see much and don't get scared by things like a spearman coming to poke it. so rearing up and losing control whenever in proximity of spear troops is a bit underpowered. of course you don't want to make cavalry too op, but is this the best way?

-Longbows are too weak. even though i've stated earlier that ranged weapons are generally op. but Longbows are the exception. of course they gave it restriction for mounted use which is somewhat historically realistic, but then again all the japanese horse archers from their feudal age used longbows. to illustrate i'll compare the noble longbow with the noble bow (best 2 bows in the game). stat wise, the noble longbow seems to win out on top with much more damage and only slightly less firing and missile speed, it also boasts an accuracy increase... but if you use it you'd notice the problem: RANGE (which also plays into accuracy AND damage). the longbow shots dip much earlier and faster, and the range damage penalty applies harder to the noble longbow. meaning it will stop being as accurate or as damaging after medium distance of about 40-50 meters compared to the noble bow. this literally makes 0 sense. since in reality, a LONG bow has much MORE EFFECTIVE RANGE than a SHORT bow, it has more draw weight which leads to a slower pull and less holding time and more stamina drain which also makes the longbow much harder to use , but it still has amazing accuracy due to its super high power.

-lastly i'd like to add that Archer and crossbow troops' weapons are too op.
what do i mean? whenever i'm in a field battle, i like to set my archers up on high ground and rain arrows down on the enemy advances. with clear line of sight my archers will typically start shooting when the enemies are 150-200 meters away. sometimes even as far as 250-300 meters away. now they don't have accuracy at that range and we don't get kills but if i was to go inspect the battlefield later, i'd see the arrows they fired stuck in the ground, meaning at least their arrows reached that distance. now i don't know what weapons they are using but I'm using a noble bow, best bow in the game, with 220 bow skills myself (higher than all archers except fian champs). and frankly the max range my arrows can reach is never more than 170 meters. when i see my archers shoot, their arrow volleys always fly way higher than mine and don't dip as early or fast, i pretty much have to aim up another 30 degrees compared to my archer's volley of arrows, to hit things around 120-150 meters away

I see that you are going for making the game more realistic, but let's leave that to mods. The base game should go towards making the gameplay balanced and enjoyable, not authentic. With those changes people who do powergaming in singleplayer (which is pointless in M&B games, but they can't hear us) will end up abusing weapons and tactics that are historacally OP ruining their campaign and multiplayer will be even more monotone than it is already.

I see that you are going for making the game more realistic, but let's leave that to mods. The base game should go towards making the gameplay balanced and enjoyable, not authentic. With those changes people who do powergaming in singleplayer (which is pointless in M&B games, but they can't hear us) will end up abusing weapons and tactics that are historacally OP ruining their campaign and multiplayer will be even more monotone than it is already.
pretty sure everything i've talked about is aimed at making the game more balanced and enjoyable. how is it balanced when an arrow hitting my plated helmet does 80 damage while a spear to the face only hits for 8? how is it enjoyable when i have to use my short bow for ranged targets since the longbow can't hit past 50 meters? oh that guy just got ran over by 30 armored cavs, he gets right up and is barely injured. the point about warfare in history is that there;s nothing that's really op, everything is relatively balanced or it would be outdated and replaced by something useful. think about it, countries invested vast amount of resources into warfare, u think they'll justs let opponents cheese them with abusive strats and go in using pitchforks? what i'm basically saying is the more historically accurate things are the more balanced it becomes.

Mount & Blade 3: Just like IRL

Tired of using a broad range of weapons each having distinct playstyles? No problem! Just stab at him with a spear as rapidly as possible!

Had enough of composing interesting armies with various elite units that each fulfill a different role on the battlefield? Just give a bunch of pointy sticks to your peasants and pack them as tightly as possible!

Frustrated by bows that reward players for being able make those tricky shots with additional damage? No more of that! Now we only fire in volleys and are useless against anyone who is not a raging burly norseman with his shirt off.

Ever wanted to feel like a lowly peasant forced onto the battlefield? Wanted to feel that surge of adrenaline when you get to strike your first foe? SIKE! You just got ran over by some up-his-arse highborn with his pimped up pony!

the point about warfare in history is that there;s nothing that's really op, everything is relatively balanced or it would be outdated and replaced by something useful. think about it, countries invested vast amount of resources into warfare, u think they'll justs let opponents cheese them with abusive strats and go in using pitchforks? what i'm basically saying is the more historically accurate things are the more balanced it becomes.
Sure, perfectly balanced, everything has a counter, outdated equipment gets thrown out. MY ARSE! Peasants with pitchforks were being abused for ****ing centuries along with their imtimidating big brothers - levies with ****ing advanced pointy sticks standing in a tight formation blindly stabbing in the general direction of the enemy.
Spears are a really ****ing long topic, but in short just have a look at this quote from wikipedia: "As a weapon, it may be wielded with either one or two hands. It was used in virtually every conflict up until the modern era where even then it continues on in the form of the fixed bayonet, and is probably the most commonly used weapon in history."

The game is far from balanced at this point, but the general balance between weapon types is already there.

There is generally a lot in yours post that makes no sense and I really am not going to waste any more time on this, because it's probably going to bounce off your damn helmet plated with hollywood and exaggerated stories, but the last thing that bugs me the most is:
amazing accuracy due to its super high power.
Power doesn't help accuracy, in fact, slower arrows can be much more stable in flight and many modern people practicing archery use bows with really low draw weight to avoid getting tired, flinching etc.

your thoughts are so jumbled its hard to organize them i bet, lol. look at that mess of text wall you sent me, i don't even know how to respond without sounding like a gibbering idiot myself.

why is the spear the most commonly used weapon in all of history even till now with the bayonets? because it's simple and effective. otherwise it would have been washed away in history like many many things. like the adeladel, or muskets. have you seen the evolution of swords? the swords used in 1800 look nothing like the ones used in 800, because the older ones were outdated for more modern warfare and were abandoned. you know what hasn't changed that much? the spear, the most versatile and effective weapon in human history, and this game makes it a grified horse rearing stick. hehe

just because i'm saying certain things are too weak doesn't at all mean they need to be made overpowered, in fact quite the opposite. what do you think the world "Balance" means? why do you think the French and English had hundreds of years of war and rivalry? because despite using completely different armies and strategies they have largely been evenly matched, and even though they tried to win as hard as they could for hundreds of years, they just didn't. you know why? Balance. the British longbows were in fact that op, and the French cavalry did indeed crush. but neither was enough to win the war alone. maybe win a battle here and there. but lose some elsewhere.

award players tricky shots? they already have the range advantage lol, let them have the ability to 1 shot abuse against heavy armor? fantastic. there are still enough exposed weak spots like the eyes and neck for them to shoot at. or are you complaining eye shots are too hard and you want a bigger area for critical damage? whole body big enough? lol, what do you think happens when a arrow hits a person in the head? unless it went into an eye, the person will be relatively fine, hurt and bleeding yes, a nasty scar sure, maybe a chipped tooth if he got shot in the mouth. but the skull is tough. much tougher than you think. honestly a big enough rock thrown at someone's head might end up doing more internal damage.

wanted to feel like a lowly peasant forced onto the battlefield? ur experience would consist of 90% of peeing your pants and 10% of dying. so getting ran over by a horse instantly sounds pretty accurate.

and lastly, your point of power not helping accuracy... what can i saw except you didn't even understand what i'm talking about. i never once mentioned the physical ability of a person using the weapon since i'm only talking about weapons. and despite what you feel, power = accuracy when it comes to ranged weapons because of the velocity it projects the arrows at. although it's 100% true that a heavier bow will reduce an archer's accuracy with that weapon because of the strain of using it compared to a lighter bow that requires no effort to pull. but i'm talking about with all other factors the same, a higher draw weight bow has more range, more damage and more accuracy at range, frankly a lower weight bow will not be able to shoot arrows that will reach past a certain point which makes them 0 accuracy at that range and beyond. because of how gravity works, and how physics works, i didn't make that up. there's reason a sniper round is half an inch thick and 3 inches long with ounces of gun power inside, it needs more power to be able to stay arrucate at longer ranges. I'm no master archer but i've had some practice, and i can tell you even a light bow with 30lb draw weight can easily shoot 50 meters with the arrow barely dipping. so the noble longbow crap, would only happen if the "arrow" was actually a 3 pound spear.

I agree with the original poster starting bows appear a bit overpowered against armour
though they are probably ok against non armoured / lightly armoured as they are meant to be overpowered in that situation.

Same for crossbows which although inherently more accurate especially in semi trained hands shouldn't go through armour any better than an arrow.
Top class bows like long bows should probably be where all bows are at the moment ie stay the same but with a bit of a reduction to range and damage to other bows.

Spears unless couched definitely appear under powered

Horses shouldn't be stopped by a peasant with a pitchfork ... a proper long spear used by a heavily armoured infantryman or two on the other hand should stop them and possibly injure/kill most cavalry . ie: running into a line of properly armoured spearmen most horses should lose with the exception being the heaviest armoured cavalry which should probably give as good as they get.

I'd also say that theres probably too much armour going around it should be a bit harder/more expensive to outfit all your troops with armour
and unarmoured/ lightly armoured troops should be a bit more mobile as in they should be able to run away/position faster than heavily armoured troops.

I think the proper "nerf" to bows is not range or damage but it's effectiveness vs armor. with layered chain/plate like most of the highest tier armor in game (40+ chest defense) most arrow shots from 30m+ would feel no more than a heavy punch with little penetration. and the effectiveness of headshots not aimed at critical spots (areas exposed from the helmet, eyes, neck, open mouth) is low. since helmets offer immense plate protection and the skull is the strongest part of the human anatomy
just ask any bow hunter and they'll tell you the location to place a shot is in the chest aimed at the lungs. a deer has a much smaller and weaker skull than a person and head shots usually don't result in 1 hit kills, which is something hunters actively avoid since they are looking to deliver a quick painless death.

a good boost for spears could be giving it more base damage and reduce its relative speed bonus. so the cavalry damage is unchanged and using it on foot is less weak.

the problem with horses is the rearing when in proximity of spearmen, especially considering a lot of them are even wearing blinders... there's already the ability to stab the horse that's running fast and do a lot of bonus damage (even if you are standing still ) thanks to relative speed multiplier, and horse killer perk gives 70% more damage at 70 polearm skill available for troops tier 3 and up. you want pointed spears to be a deterrent rather than an auto stun. cavs in this game are not op at the moment.

/
I'd also say that theres probably too much armour going around it should be a bit harder/more expensive to outfit all your troops with armour
and unarmoured/ lightly armoured troops should be a bit more mobile as in they should be able to run away/position faster than heavily armoured troops.
yeah, it would cost you a couple horses and an additional 1k denars to get an imperial elite cataphract (from a viglia recruit) , that's equipping gear which would cost you 2 million denars at shops. my first playthrough is 2500 days into the game, i've stopped at all shops and still haven't seen the cataphract helm, the only imperial laminar armor i've got is from my wife and same goes for the full imperial horse armor, that's how rare those equipment are...

Spears in close combat are quite difficult to use. Given their heft and length they're quite slow and decently easy to parry or sidestep.

I'd conjecture that they're so popular because they're easy to make - hack down some young sapling tree, whittle down the tip...Spear in 1 hour!

Now a sword? Eh...forge, hot hot fire, iron and steel, man with big arms, sparks, fire, sizzle, fold, hammer... Sword after 1 week. ?

Spears in close combat are quite difficult to use. Given their heft and length they're quite slow and decently easy to parry or sidestep.

I'd conjecture that they're so popular because they're easy to make - hack down some young sapling tree, whittle down the tip...Spear in 1 hour!

Now a sword? Eh...forge, hot hot fire, iron and steel, man with big arms, sparks, fire, sizzle, fold, hammer... Sword after 1 week. ?
easy to make also easy to use. but in this game spears are harder to use than swords

in arena matches having a spear and no shield is a nightmare. i've actually beat a lord with 200+ polearm skills in high tier armor using a bow, didn't bother to draw my sword, i just side stepped, and shot him point blank for 15 damage a pop, my accuracy was so bad since i had to strafe, but still took him down in less than 10 shots. ate maybe a couple soft stabs of 5-8 damage.

Back
Top Bottom