My Lords aren't adding troops to settlements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Apologies if this already has a topic, I did search but came up dry.

I have created my own faction by starting to wipe out Sarleon. Currently at three Lords; Lethaldiran owns Laria, Alistair has Marleons and Boadice, Avendor. I built a CKO in each before handing it over, so that they could use the troops (not sure if this actually happens or not, never really played with the CKO much before) and have them patrol around the areas. This will come in handy when they are kitted-out and trained later on.

Wondering if the CKO is interfering with the game in some way. Has anyone else come across this happening, or do I just have to give it more time?

It's been roughly a month in-game and neither of them have reinforced their towns. There are a small amount of the CKO troops that spawn over time in each, but not enough to defend against an attack. None that they would have added. They are recruiting for their armies though, each Lord has between 100-200 units at the moment.

Do I need to give them each a village as well, to recruit from? It seems weird that they aren't bolstering the towns. I'd rather not give away too many places, as I'm hoping to see if I can rally most of the other Lords to my cause. Also, I would hate to start again. I've done so much. :???:

Did you put an inital garrison into the towns when you took them over (=you claimed them) or did you hand them out empty (kept them the kingdom)?

They were empty, noosers. Although I had claimed them for myself beforehand, so I could train the Steward before handing it over.

That´s most likely causing that glitchy behaviour. If you take a castle/town for yourself instead of getting the free garrison units (=keeping it in the kingdom then handing it out to yourself) or immediately handing it out you need to garrison the town properly.

Usually it´s wise to do that anyways, for exactly that reason you described.

However, how large a town garrison can become and how much it´s garrisoned depends on the town/castle wealth. How the kingdoms reinforcements are deployed is beyond my knowledge, but I´ve seen towns and castles with low and high garrisons.

The best way to avoid it is to claim the walled fief for handing out later which will generate 75-150 units as garrison, depending wether it´s a city or castle, then claim it yourself, train the steward and afterwards handing it out.

Ah, okay. I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks. :wink:

I'll start another game after this one, with no CKOs and see if the same thing happens. I'd like to find out if how I've done things has affected the game mechanics in some way. It could conflict, as the Lords often create their own Orders in towns and castles they own. So that could be another problem.

In the meantime, I'll tell the Lords to return to their towns and give them some of mine. I have about 500 random Pendor troops in my town, Sarleon. If I give them 100 each, of the higher tier, that should be enough to deter any serious attacks until I can gather more troops. Perhaps they will start to reinforce after their armies have reached a certain size?

Sarleon have just taken a serious beating from us and they only have a couple of castles and villages left, so hopefully they shouldn't be too much trouble. Famous last words though, huh? :lol:

Yeah, that's what I've seen happen in different games and mods.

The AI Lords from other factions do this, but mine aren't. I've reinforced their towns myself for the moment and hopefully this might sort itself out over time. If not then it's more work for me lol.

Had this problem in a previous game, i reinforced a Lord's garrison with 200 troops and he never added any troops on his own.

On the other hand when you capture a town and assign it instantly to a Lord, just wait a few days and you will see the garrison increased. I have seen Sarleon for example going up to ~ 900 troops from the owner. It maxes out at some point and then you can offer your own reinforcements.

So in general wait a few days for the Lord to start reinforcing his garrison and once this stops offer him some troops.

shoshuro said:
Had this problem...
...him some troops.

Don't worry, I know all about how it normally works but my problem is slightly different to that though. I think the method and order in which I've done things has confused the game slightly. I'm merely hypothesising as I'm not quite sure what is going on.

To reiterate; I gave each Lord an empty town with no garrisoned troops. Laria, Marleons and Avendor. After conquering, I took each one for myself so I could train the Steward and build a CKO in each, in hope they could possibly use the CKO troops that spawn over time and there would be groups of my Order that spawn randomly patrolling around each area.

It's now been roughly two months since I took the last place, Avendor, and they haven't reinforced either town with their own troops. Not once. So I can only assume that building a CKO then handing over the fief has somehow broken the typical method they use to reinforce.

Edit: If anyone else is willing to have a quick (by M&B standards, at least) cheat game just to test this out, it would be greatly appreciated. At least then we could determine if it's a bug or simply a random occurrence. Should somebody be willing, this is the order in which I did everything.

1) Took over a walled-fief (shouldn't matter if it's a town or castle, as I've done it with every place I own).
2) Awarded it to myself.
3) Garrisoned some troops for safety while training the Steward.
4) Trained the steward.
5) Built a CKO.
6) Removed all troops.
7) Awarded fief to a Lord.

Then it's a case of just waiting in his/her fief for a while to see if they reinforce it.

Well, it had been just over three months and nobody reinforced their fief, so I can assume I have broken the game :???: lol. Time to start again, I guess. I could have carried on but it would have been a nightmare having to look after everything.

Such a shame too, Sarleon were down to one castle and one village. I had managed to persuade all but four of their Lords (due to constantly letting the nicer ones go free after defeating them) to join and had enough settlements to give everybody something. But hey, at least I'll get to do some levelling up again. That's always nice! :grin:

Going to create an additional save of the new game, just before I decide to siege a town or castle and repeat what I had done before, to test whether it was random. Would be nice to know. If it happens twice in a row, then it's definitely something you can't do.

Why dou you want to restart?
Have the city taken by some hostile force, retake it, hand it out again, problem solved.
And if your opposition refuses to do you the favour, who cares? It aren´t your cities, but cheap AI decoys.

One thing you can try to do is give the owning lord a metric ton of troops and then tell him to go to his town. He´ll usually leave surplus troops in it´s garrison.

The most likely glitch causing this occurence (or at least the one which comes into my mind first) is that once you own a town you garrison/reinforce it with troops of your chosen faction but your lords use their original factions troops - unless you tell them to switch over.

Which noone usually does because well, D´Shar Blademasters or Sarleon Knights or Ravenstern Rangers are far more desireable to have than all Pendor armies.

So I reckon again - without any knowledge of the code behind this - that´s were it gets quirky. The distribution of faction kingom reinforcements to a former lord of it.

But there´s worse. So unless your save is corrupted and Gollum Face of Doom appears your game´s far from broken. All you really want to do is to weasel you out of the vaseline contract you got yourself in. Too late, buddy. Half years production is already packed an shipped to your place.

It's no big deal, I'm one of these people who will often start a new game. Either I think of better ideas, different tactics or there could be a reason I'm not happy with the progress I've made. I wasn't that far into it, so even though it's slightly annoying, I actually don't mind restarting. Would rather have a smooth, unbroken game where I don't have to waste valuable conquering time.

Well, I actually like my Lords and think of them as useful assets, friends and allies. Not just some cannon fodder. I spend lots of time and effort training them to lead armies. Aside from the odd defeat, they normally hold their own very well. So if they get defeated due to a glitch, I won't be happy.

I'm actually using the Pendor troops, they're not that bad. But anyway, slightly off-topic lol.

The point I think you're missing is that the fiefs were empty, noosers. So the Lords should have reinforced, regardless of what troops I told them to use. Especially over a time period of three months, that's a long time for nothing happen. Neither of them added any troops themselves. I've seen the AI Lords from other factions add troops within a few days.

I too know nothing about the game mechanics, I'm merely guessing. But seeing as this has never happen before, across multiple games and the only thing I've done differently was build a CKO in my Lord's fief, I have to assume that it the problem.

kevinflemming said:
shoshuro said:
Had this problem...
...him some troops.

To reiterate; I gave each Lord an empty town with no garrisoned troops. Laria, Marleons and Avendor. After conquering, I took each one for myself so I could train the Steward and build a CKO in each, in hope they could possibly use the CKO troops that spawn over time and there would be groups of my Order that spawn randomly patrolling around each area.

Yea i understood what you meant, i mentioned it also in my reply that i had the same problem. To be more exact:

- Revolted when i captured Laria on my own (0 garrison) and gave it to Boadice and assigned Whitestag Castle to Alistair.
- Whitestag Castle was held by me for some time so it had a good garrison + a chapter of the Griffon. Alistair never added any new troops to the garrison.
- I reinforced Laria with around 200 troops but Boadice never reinforced it with any new troops.
- Similar issue later on the game with Talon Castle. I captured it awarded it to me, founded a chapter of the Falcons and added some troops. Gave the fief to another Lord and he never added any troops on his own.

The issue with Laria was solved when i let the fief get captured on purpose by Ravenstern and then when i retook it i assigned it instantly to Boadice. She reinforced it properly then.

Keep in mind Laria has a KO chapter already so not sure if the KO reinforcement conflicts with the manual reinforcement you might to do.

Keep in mind Laria has a KO chapter already so not sure if the KO reinforcement conflicts with the manual reinforcement you might to do.

If you guys are curious and it helps you, i just finished a game where i created Falcons in EVERY town of the game, including those like Laria who already had a chapter. I disbanded the clarions and instituted my falcon and afterwards i gave the fiefs to my current lords and yes, they still reinforce. Being a long hard game (i only played with falcon troops and arms and everything) of over 1000 days, i checked with pride from time to time so see if garrisons reinforce with falcon troops and indeed they do. One more thing, all my lords where asked sooner rather than later to train pendor troops so i guess the glitch is not from here also. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom