Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

I've lost track of the debate. I didn't argue there we no other gangs than the orcs.
I pointed out the orcs are portrayed in a way you can portray black, crime ridden communities today.
It's true the black and latino gangs are also there, but focus has shifted to the orcs.
As that rapper said: "The characters in #Bright live in a timeline where racism is gone... cause we hate ork now ?". ["ork" is his spelling]
It's simplified, but not entirely wrong. The black/latino racism has been dwarfed by the orcs.

[Temuzu] But who are the elves? [/Temuzu]

77pBD8y.jpg

Михаил Илларионович Голенищев-Кутузов-Смоленский said:
[Temuzu] But who are the elves? [/Temuzu]

the 1%  :razz:

it is funny to see this reaction to the movie, as I am not from those parts of the world and so I have a more neutral/International reaction to it. To me it is just a cool-ish fantasy movie that could spawn a nice follow up. Netflix is not restricted to 1 or 2 countries  :mrgreen:

True story, too. In a way, it happened to the guy that played the Stasi agent. I think his ex-wife sued him for libel(and won) despite being evidence of her ratting him out. She said sth like "I didn't know I was talking to Stasi" or something similar.

I wanna see that film
I saw "Jacqueline Argentine"
A mockumentary. About a French girl (slightly waifuable) that is a haxxor in the French Intelligence and wants to leak some stuff.  It was fun. Also a bit 2deep but it's ok. I'll have to see it again to understand some of it because I was talking and eating as I saw it. Filmed mostly in Argentina.

Will bright get a sequel after all this controversy and bad reviews?

Edit: apparently a sequel is in the work.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/bright-netflix-sequel

Man, whoever wrote this article is so full of themselve.

''Worst film of 2017''? have we seen the same movie?
I can name at least 3 worst movies than Bright with good ''reviews''.

Adorno said:
I've lost track of the debate. I didn't argue there we no other gangs than the orcs.
I pointed out the orcs are portrayed in a way you can portray black, crime ridden communities today.
It's true the black and latino gangs are also there, but focus has shifted to the orcs.
As that rapper said: "The characters in #Bright live in a timeline where racism is gone... cause we hate ork now ?". ["ork" is his spelling]
It's simplified, but not entirely wrong. The black/latino racism has been dwarfed by the orcs.

I saw Bright and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. The writing was by far the worst part of the movie. Some dialogue seemed so forced it was laughable. But isn't the Ork racism supposed to show exactly that, racism? Perhaps maybe in a Twilight Zone "lets use fantasy characters so no one gets triggered way" and some people will be offended by that but to me its a way to reach out to audiences (some *cough* white people) that otherwise would scoff at a regular movie about real life racism. I think the point gets across. Note that not every movie has to go in depth about real life complex social issues just because.

Bright gets like a 4/10

I watched A Ghost Story last night, because I'm a pawn for RLM and the movies they recommend. Really good movie, if you have a decent amount of patience.

Not a bad series, to be honest; I whine about things I like. The whole is more than the sum of its parts, and I'll rate the whole thing as 6.5/10. If you like budget fantasy (and have Amazon Prime), I'd recommend it. You can do much worse than Mythica.

* A reference of what my ratings tend to stand for can be found
All are completely subjectively awarded, of course.
Out of ten, i.e. IMDb-compliant ratings:
1 = trash, not worth seeing at all, avoid
2 = like the above, but with at least some semblance of something noteworthy
3 = just rubbish, unfortunately
4 = lacking in some ways, but almost okay
5 = average, with nothing else to say
6 = fair, yet not quite interesting enough to leave a lasting impression
7 = "I liked this film, it's nice and I'd recommend it" (I liked it, not "it's objectively good")
8 = like the above, but the film is pretty good
9 = even better than the above; an exceptional film that has left a lasting impression
10 = exceptional and strikingly impressive; would watch again immediately or on the next day after seeing it

I've recently thought about it and found that this is the scale that I've been gravitating towards, so it's nice to document it somewhere. Be interesting to see if it changes over the years...
** Kevin Sorbo scene times are the total duration of all scenes involving him, even when he's off-screen. An exception is made for bits of flashbacks that might technically be his, but he's both offscreen and not narrating; those times (though quite few) are not counted.
*** Unlike the film ratings, Matt Mercer ratings can be approximated to stars for hotels, i.e. out of five.

P.S.: I broke the list formatting by accident, but decided to keep it. Better like this, methinks.

P.P.S.: writing about "fantastic beasts" reminds me of Jude Law, which reminded me that I've not seen "Enemy at the Gates", or at least I only remember bits and bobs - Jude Law scoring headshots at the beginning (no need for a sweetspot when you go for the head :mrgreen:), then those weird sheets with his name and crosses for his kills on them (couldn't figure out what they were), and then wondering why these people are chasing each other around those ruins and where the bloody gate is?... So yes, I must've been very young indeed. Wouldn't've also completely forgotten that Rachel Weisz participates if I hadn't been... :razz:

Wait, you didn't know who Fred Astaire was, Lumos? Okay, it's my turn to mock you now. :razz:

Seriously, though, it's probably understandable; I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people today don't know who Fred Astaire was. What can I say; my mom likes his movies, so I've seen him a bit, especially when I was younger. The only movie with him in it that I've seen recently was Holiday Inn, which is actually pretty good. Fred Astaire's not the protagonist, though; his character's kind of a ****. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom