Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Lumos said:
Soooo, I saw "Passengers", as seen on the side of a bus. I hadn't watched the trailers, nor had I seen the poor Rotten Tomatoes rating (which I don't usually care about anyways). I just had the impression that it's allegedly pretty good, and that there's a lot of hype behind it. Given that I was pretty much raised with sci-fi books and love the genre, I was quite curious to see what this film was all about...
That film is an atrocity. One long weird case of the Stockholm syndrome.
A boring love story set in the loneliness of space without a single plot twist, or anything to make it interesting.

I saw "Assassin's Creed". Full disclosure: I've only played to about 2/3 or 3/4 or the first game.
PROS:
- Everyone in the "back in time" sequences, which took place in Southern Spain in the late XVth century, speaks Spanish. I didn't expect that, and it was greatly appreciated.
- Effects look good. Stylish. Some pretty good (and completely irrelevant) cinematic shots of an undetermined Spanish army laying siege to an unknown city (Granada, if I had to guess).
- I didn't know that Michael Fassbender is German.

CONS:
- The story is a complete mess.
- ... The same thing as above, but phrased differently.

It's like they sort of tried to cram all the "larger narrative" of the Ass Creed games, as I'm pretty sure there was one. (At one point, I asked a friend of mine about what happened to the "nowadays" protagonist of the first game. He told me some nonsensical-sounding things about Roman gods and the Apple of Eden and I don't remember what.) Said Apple of Eden is present in this movie, and is apparently an artefact that contains "the genetic codes to free will", and with it, the evil Templars will finally control the world. The story is then here, there, with more or less illogical things happening, and the end is even less satisfying and without meaning than the end to "Passengers" (which, remember, pretty much lacked a plot entirely).
Besides, I never liked the idea of the Knights Templar being the bad guys.

At any rate, the entire plot doesn't seem to be related to the games in any way, except names of objects and factions, and probably overall "setting".

Good thing to watch if you feel like turning your brain off, I suppose, but I honestly can't recommend this movie.

Finally, the moral point of this story was...
Don't hold a bunch of elite, trained killers in a lax "not a prison" environment, and don't allow them to chill around on their own and play hoops together. And when they do rise up and turn on you, using swords and bows stolen from display cases, don't send your ****ing guards in with batons. Give them some assault rifles instead.

I also was very disappointed with that movie.

The ending is incredibly anticlimactic considering the plot driver.

I was expecting some The Fountain type epicness with less confusion, instead I got the mehiest meh ever.

I just finished Train to Busan last night. Good Korean zombie movie. It's not revolutionary to the genre at all, but it has good acting, a good story, and realistic characters/behaviour. So, I recommend that. It's on Netflix, not sure about other streaming services.

After a long long time (like 10 years or so) I have seen On Her Majesty's Secret Service and I absolutely don't get the flak it gets. It was a very good Bond movie, with silly and funny plot and beautiful locations. Also, Diana Rigg.

Which is odd given the majority of the setting.

My issues with On Her Majesty's Secret Service are more that George Lazenby is an incredibly underwhelming and uninspiring Bond placed in a good Bond movie, unlike Timothy Dalton who is a good Bond held back by bad scripts and directing. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a solid Bond movie overall with only a couple hangups in the action of the film - some of the scenes in the clinic drag on a bit too much, and the ski chase, while legendary among Bond ski chases, is also a bit too long. That aside, the movie had probably the best and most impactful plot of any Bond movie - the ending scene is still probably the single best ending to a Bond movie. The weak link in all of it is George Lazenby - he's simply awful. Telly Savalas is a forgettable Blofeld compared to Donald Pleasance (I had to look up his name, for instance) but he works well enough, and while Irma Bunt is a bit of a knock-off of Rosa Klebb from From Russia With Love, she picks up the villainous slack. George Lazenby, on the other hand, has no real redeemable qualities - he's simply there. He has no screen presence whatsoever. So while the movie is well written and well directed, it's only as good as the actors on the screen, and with Lazenby as the main character there's only so far the material can take the movie.

I love On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it's up there in my favorite Bond films.  I know I'm in the minority of opinion, but I like (don't love) George Lazenby as Bond.  He was basically playing to his type; mix of charming and stoic.  I would have much preferred him in at least one or two more movies, as opposed to the rubbish Diamonds Are Forever.  He's divisive as Bond, as he was bound to be.  I'll take him over Roger Moore - my least favorite Bond.

Diana Rigg is also one of the best Bond girls in my opinion.  Simply stunning and a good actress to boot.  Perfect for the role in my opinion.

Great score, too. 

Back
Top Bottom