Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 8 - Engine Power [VIDEO]

Users who are viewing this thread

Serdar was writing something but then said f.ck it I guess :grin: wonder what he was writing.

Writer2353 said:
https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/Blog/twdd_04_aserai_siege_1.jpg
Castle sieges are still bad. There is still clutter.

You mean the bunches of archers on the walls? I know it doesn't look pretty, but it is probably quite realistic and practical. When the front line of men at the battlements get killed, you may as well have your reinforcements immediately behind to replace the dead. There does at least appear to be a gap between the group around the ladder (on the left I believe) and the group at the right of the screen, plus clear walking space on the boardwalk behind each group, so the player won't have such a difficult time moving around the walls. I doubt things looked much different in real life; every spare space would be taken because everyone would be desperate to keep the enemy off the walls, and it makes sense for the commander to have them there.

Wait - So this is just the battlemap?!

Holy CRAP!

Take my money for Early Access!

Also consider a GOG Release Taleworlds a bunch of us over on GoG want to support you on GOG as well as steam.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/help_get_mount_and_blade_2_bannerlord_onto_gogcom

Tatari_okan said:
-Will the combat system be like what it is showed at the end of the video or the combat system will include collisions instead of phasing from opponents? Will you get rid off the bug when you hit or kill someone, it becomes phasable lost its collision mesh?
This.

I'm also really hoping they include collision of weapons on people, appose to them just going right through. (unless it was a clean cut accompanied by dismembering of something)

There are a couple of questions that arise as soon as the weapon strikes a body. How does the swing animation end? It would probably be hard to make realistic and will depend on what the struck avatar does- will they fall over/recoil from the hit, or not be visibly affected at all (as would probably often happen if they were armoured and didn't get hit cleanly)? I don't think a weapon simply stopping when it meets an enemy would look very good at all, even if it might be realistic, and it might give the player less feeling of a damaging/powerful swing than we have now.

Chompster said:
Tatari_okan said:
-Will the combat system be like what it is showed at the end of the video or the combat system will include collisions instead of phasing from opponents? Will you get rid off the bug when you hit or kill someone, it becomes phasable lost its collision mesh?
This.
I'm also really hoping they include collision of weapons on people, appose to them just going right through. (unless it was a clean cut accompanied by dismembering of something)
This.

Weapon should only pass completely through after dismemberment. The game desperately needs body and weapon collision as well as dismemberment. Slashing through frail archer hands is my dream.

PoisonCourtesan said:
Weapon should only pass completely through after dismemberment. The game desperately needs body and weapon collision as well as dismemberment. Slashing through frail archer hands is my dream.
This would make me a very happy man.

Also, is it actually correct that the engine will be able to hold about 225 square kilometers big scenes or am I just having a brainfart right now? Cos that sounds like there's going to be excessively huge battle maps.

Well I presume that's the max, while I hope most battles will limit to 2-3kmsq max...in MP at least.
I wouldn't mind having a 10kmsq battle on a very big singleplayer level, if it's a big and important battle I'd carefully pick my ground on.

Good idea.
I'd really like spending a few minutes getting my big army crossing the initial terrain, taking position that I can with individual troop types/platoons, bracing and all that good stuff, then going to bash someone's head in.

jacobhinds said:
A script that auto-resizes the map based on how large the battle is would be a good feature. In warband they were pitifully small, but still too large for cleaning up the four shirtless guys with clubs at the beginning of the game.
A script like that could actually work very well. And yeah, those annoying moments when you have to hit Backspace to bring out the minimap just to find out where those 4 looters are. :lol:

Sherlock Holmes said:
Well I presume that's the max, while I hope most battles will limit to 2-3kmsq max...in MP at least.
I wouldn't mind having a 10kmsq battle on a very big singleplayer level, if it's a big and important battle I'd carefully pick my ground on.

This is the point where they should seriously think about basic AI behaviour and logic. Since the map is let's say, 3-4 km2 big, the opposing armies should have some basic logic of formations, and no, I'm not reffering to Total War style-formations; it's rather a structure. That said, you'd need your cavalry not not spawn inside your infantry blob, and then get stuck in your foot units without being able to charge. No, you'd need it to be at least caveman-intelligent to avoid the blob, move around it, regroup in a very basic way, and then charge. The archers themselves could also make use of some brains, and I don't even have to go in details about how they fail to understand that the friendly soldiers in front of them prevent them from shooting arrows. This ends up in, you know, 70% of your archers attacking along with your footmen. The archers need their own behaviour, obviously. They have to avoid going into meele if they still have missiles or haven't been ordered to. The solution would be to set them to walk like 20-30 meters behind the friendly infantry blob and actually have a chance to fire.

Another solution [which should go along with what I have written above] would be to have a basic and default preset for troop positioning at spawn, like: Infantry spawns in the middle, cavalry equally spawned on the sides, and archers further behind the infantly. That actually gives them a chance to not become a mess.

On the topic of basic formations, I have to mention again that I'm not aiming for Total War style. We should have the whole infantly, for example, form two or three [rather irregular] horizontal ranks and keep it that way until it clashes with the enemy. The same should be with cavalry and archers. At the moment, they use to move in a huge vertical blob and meet the enemy in a very uninspired way, which ultimately makes a big map useless.

In conclusion, my point is that the AI logic should focus on creating very basic and flexible formations which would allow it to fight at full potential.

You guys... I'm gonna play the eff out of this you guys!

Man M&B must be the most fantastic investment ever, you are sure to get a hefty single player experience out of the box, once you're done with that there will be hundreds of awesome mods made possible by awesome tools like this, also throw in some amazing multiplayer while you're at it.

I'm gonna buy this day one, steam sales be damned.

Awesome!!
Possibility of 225 km² maps...
Persistent World Mod 10.0, here we come...and the mods that this new editor could make possible in general...just awesome!!1!  :smile:
The rest looks nice too! Can't wait!  :smile:

Exciting, I just hope it isn't too taxing. I only have a laptop because like 99% of people in the world I can't really afford a dedicated gaming computer. I just hope I can enjoy Bannerlord in all it's glory without having to go for the low settings :razz:

You guys seem a lot better than most companies though and I have faith that you'll deliver. From what I've seen and heard so far, this game is shaping up to be one of the best ever.

I was so impressed by this video.

But I don't like the numbers posted. If you have a 255km^2 map area, or whatever, there's no way you can afford to have complex AI. Good AI would survey the entire map for a "best strategy" navigating it for some objective. If you can afford to have giant ridiculously sized areas, that means you've left no budget for your AI - there's no way they can iterate frequently enough on a land mass that size to determine best case strategies. At best, we'll see WarBand's AI regurgitated again (which is pretty lackluster, even if it's sufficient).

Back
Top Bottom