Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 6 - Astounding Squirms

Currently viewing this thread:

Antar

Squire
WBWF&SNWM&BVC
Best answers
0
Corsair831 said:
who writes these blogs lol ??

the poor attempts at humour are just so cringe worthy .. and the minor amounts of information per blog .. i mean we just had an entire blog about facial animations ?! :grin:

i mean seriously whoever writes these blogs needs to be fired or something lol ..
Corsair831 said:
don't swear on the forum please, this is a family environment.
Troll?  :neutral:
 

Saber Cherry

Knight
Best answers
0
The takeaway here is that Bannerlord will have a 3-headed humanoid beast, where each head has an independent mood, like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  Awesome!  Hope they get the banter right.
 

Jezze

Baron
WBM&BNWVC
Best answers
0
Can faces on heads that have been removed from their body also be animated? If so, than I have a good idea already :smile:.
 

Sir Icorda

Knight at Arms
WB
Best answers
0
Antar said:
Corsair831 said:
who writes these blogs lol ??

the poor attempts at humour are just so cringe worthy .. and the minor amounts of information per blog .. i mean we just had an entire blog about facial animations ?! :grin:

i mean seriously whoever writes these blogs needs to be fired or something lol ..
Corsair831 said:
don't swear on the forum please, this is a family environment.
Troll?  :neutral:
I don't know if you should consider him a troll, what he's saying isn't wrong. Blogs at the start were a lot more interesting, showing actual progress put into the game (even if only texture-wise, sadly), in 2014's blogs instead (3 in 5 months compared to the 3 in 1 month in 2013) are just full of promises and things that are pretty out of what the community is interested in..

And tbh that face doesn't look good to me :lol:
 
Best answers
2
Sir Icorda said:
I don't know if you should consider him a troll, what he's saying isn't wrong. Blogs at the start were a lot more interesting, showing actual progress put into the game (even if only texture-wise, sadly), in 2014's blogs instead (3 in 5 months compared to the 3 in 1 month in 2013) are just full of promises and things that are pretty out of what the community is interested in..

And tbh that face doesn't look good to me :lol:
Maybe if there weren't so many people constantly whining for more blogs then they'd be able to put out more substantial content. Plus, it's a finite game. They can't just pump out content forever.
 

Sir Icorda

Knight at Arms
WB
Best answers
0
jacobhinds said:
Sir Icorda said:
I don't know if you should consider him a troll, what he's saying isn't wrong. Blogs at the start were a lot more interesting, showing actual progress put into the game (even if only texture-wise, sadly), in 2014's blogs instead (3 in 5 months compared to the 3 in 1 month in 2013) are just full of promises and things that are pretty out of what the community is interested in..

And tbh that face doesn't look good to me :lol:
Maybe if there weren't so many people constantly whining for more blogs then they'd be able to put out more substantial content. Plus, it's a finite game. They can't just pump out content forever.
I can't see how "people whining for more blogs" and "being able to put out more content" is related.
I'm pretty sure that if they can write a whole blog about how wonderfully characters can smirk, they can also write about new questing mechanics, or how the multiplayer is gonna be handled, or new factions, or whatever really - I'd find even more interesting a blog about the staff saying who does what, so we know who's to blame once the game is out :lol:
 
Best answers
2
Sir Icorda said:
I can't see how "people whining for more blogs" and "being able to put out more content" is related.
I'm pretty sure that if they can write a whole blog about how wonderfully characters can smirk, they can also write about new questing mechanics, or how the multiplayer is gonna be handled, or new factions, or whatever really - I'd find even more interesting a blog about the staff saying who does what, so we know who's to blame once the game is out :lol:
if they were in a position where they could write that much, the game would already be released.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
I feel like I should be taking bets for how many pages until people start whining for the next blog.
it's started already, if only indirectly :roll:
 

Twixer

Recruit
Best answers
0
This blog update topped all of the previous. Comparing Wraband and Bannerlord shows some extraordinary progress made by you awesome people @TaleWorlds.
A couple of persistent questions:
What is the estimated cost of the game @first release?
Is there any chance to get an online spreadsheet with what you've already completed for the game and what's yet to come? It would have us check it daily for some even smaller updates on yhe project.

Dam' big cheers
 
Best answers
0
Sir Icorda said:
I don't know if you should consider him a troll, what he's saying isn't wrong. Blogs at the start were a lot more interesting, showing actual progress put into the game (even if only texture-wise, sadly), in 2014's blogs instead (3 in 5 months compared to the 3 in 1 month in 2013) are just full of promises and things that are pretty out of what the community is interested in..
Well he is a troll, considering he knows full well who writes the blogs and I've known him for years (was in CoR with him in 2010) and he's always been a troll. Putting that aside, feel free to offer criticism anyway. We mentioned in the blog that there are certain elements of the game we'd prefer not to talk about, not due to lack of progress but just due to their tendency to change. Graphics are more of a linear progression, in terms of what we are aiming for and are able to achieve, whereas the gameplay undergoes a lot of design changes and iterations. Either way, let us know what you're interested in and maybe it could become the topic of the next blog. We do pay attention and that's one of the reasons we decided to talk about facial animations here.

Sir Icorda said:
And tbh that face doesn't look good to me :lol:
The face, like everything in the screenshot, represents a work in progress. Bear in mind the blog is to show off the animations (also unfinished) and not necessarily the face itself, which will continue to see work. For example, the skin shader needs updating to look better with recent changes to the rendering engine. You also have to remember that the nature of our game means balancing performance with visual quality is very important. Our faces need to be viable when rendered 100s of times at least, not just a few like in other games.



Thanks for all the nice comments!

We haven't talked about a release schedule or price at release yet. As always, following all the major channels is the best way to find out the latest news and you can be pretty sure that once we announce the release date, we won't hold back in making it known to you.
 

Jason L.

Master Knight
Best answers
0
the nature of our game means balancing performance with visual quality is very important.
+1 . That is a thing to worry about . Cos this is great work but maybe could penalize, the performance heavily . Keep up with the good work ... If we ask for more blogs (some of us, me included ) it's out of our great love for this series . We don't mean any harm . I think that you love your work at least as much as we do . So we have something in common. :cool:
 

Pilum

Sergeant Knight
VCNWWBWF&S
Best answers
0
Captain Lust said:
We mentioned in the blog that there are certain elements of the game we'd prefer not to talk about, not due to lack of progress but just due to their tendency to change. Graphics are more of a linear progression, in terms of what we are aiming for and are able to achieve, whereas the gameplay undergoes a lot of design changes and iterations.
Concerning gameplay changes:
In some games, the developers put interesting mechanics into it and cut them out by the time they are released, or they do not finish it because there is no more time or there was not enough of a budget and the mechanic is not usable in the vanilla game (a bit like the boats on the worldmap in Warband. I read they were "hidden" in the vanilla game, so modders could make use of them. Or the rudimentary implementation of carriages in Skyrim, where modders were able to make working touring carriages).

My point is that if for whatever reason during development, there is a great or interesting mechanic that is being built into the game and is cut again because of time constraints or budget constraints or whatever, please leave it somewhere in the game, so that modders can pick it up eventually.
I feel like we live in a time, where a lot of newly released games are seriously gimped, for reasons mentioned above.

But hearing that TW wants to make Bannerlord even more mod friendly than Warband, puts my worries about this at ease for the most part.
 

Inanch-Bilge

Captain Lust said:
Sir Icorda said:
I don't know if you should consider him a troll, what he's saying isn't wrong. Blogs at the start were a lot more interesting, showing actual progress put into the game (even if only texture-wise, sadly), in 2014's blogs instead (3 in 5 months compared to the 3 in 1 month in 2013) are just full of promises and things that are pretty out of what the community is interested in..
Well he is a troll, considering he knows full well who writes the blogs and I've known him for years (was in CoR with him in 2010) and he's always been a troll. Putting that aside, feel free to offer criticism anyway. We mentioned in the blog that there are certain elements of the game we'd prefer not to talk about, not due to lack of progress but just due to their tendency to change. Graphics are more of a linear progression, in terms of what we are aiming for and are able to achieve, whereas the gameplay undergoes a lot of design changes and iterations. Either way, let us know what you're interested in and maybe it could become the topic of the next blog. We do pay attention and that's one of the reasons we decided to talk about facial animations here.

Sir Icorda said:
And tbh that face doesn't look good to me :lol:
The face, like everything in the screenshot, represents a work in progress. Bear in mind the blog is to show off the animations (also unfinished) and not necessarily the face itself, which will continue to see work. For example, the skin shader needs updating to look better with recent changes to the rendering engine. You also have to remember that the nature of our game means balancing performance with visual quality is very important. Our faces need to be viable when rendered 100s of times at least, not just a few like in other games.



Thanks for all the nice comments!

We haven't talked about a release schedule or price at release yet. As always, following all the major channels is the best way to find out the latest news and you can be pretty sure that once we announce the release date, we won't hold back in making it known to you.
Why not show something about the new story, cultures, etc. ? they must be more or less finished.
 

asvs

Recruit
Best answers
0
Captain Lust said:
Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/7
Will there be lip/facial muscle sync for each phonetic in a speech sample by using visemes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viseme ?

Syncing will require an in-game tool that aligns bits of text with the timeline of an audio sample. A simple phonetic extraction script could then automate selecting the correct viseme for a given bit of text. This would be useful for modders not wishing to spend time assigning visemes to a timeline.
 

Propaganda

Grandmaster Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Adorno said:
Propaganda said:
Good bloc captain,but ı have a question?
Why smiles are very artificial?
What do you mean - there are no images of people smiling?
Sorry my english,ım saying a the images is very artifical.Because;human eyes are brighter than this image.And they are not relastic.For example:
 

Stromming

Veteran
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Propaganda said:
Adorno said:
Propaganda said:
Good bloc captain,but ı have a question?
Why smiles are very artificial?
What do you mean - there are no images of people smiling?
Sorry my english,ım saying a the images is very artifical.Because;human eyes are brighter than this image.And they are not relastic.For example:
Lol, are you serious?
The graphics are not made to look super-realistc, imagine the strain on your PC when you are in a battle with 300 characters and they all have that much detail? Jeez.

The graphics we have seen so far, work-in-progress as they are, are extremely good and I would not care if they stopped where they are, as they are still leaps and bounds better than the original Warband graphics.

On another note, I'd like to see a Blog about city management/administration as I've said in a couple of previous threads here.