Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>To all interested and uninterested parties, let it be known that we at TaleWorlds are making a new game, by the name of Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord. It is the next in the Mount&Blade series and a prequel to Mount&Blade Warband. This is the third entry in our Developer Blog, talking about making the game to whoever wants to listen. Thisweek we're talking about the campaign team, developers of the game's single player mechanics and gameplay. The team formerly known as “Team 3”...</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/4

Raven (Gothia) said:
I would personally like to see more options on the map. Right now we have things like cites, villages and training grounds. Occasionally you find a bandit lair, but that's about it. It would be more fun if there would be some additional buildings that are added to the scene. For example you could have a watermill close to a river that you can visit, or a lumberjack's cottage somewhere in the woods. Ofcourse I don't think its realistic if those buildings are to be found everywhere, but I do think it's nice to have near cities, or prosperous villages. It also gives more options for finding  additional quests I think.
Following this train of thought, roadside taverns where you can recruit NPCs could be cool too. Not a lot, but along the busiest trade routes at least.

While the majority of the players (including me) want a free sandbox gameplay, I would like to see secondary quest lines with a longer term goal and more complex, which would involve interacting with strange and unique characters, like in some RPG games. As I noted, these would be secondary and should remain at the choice of the player (whenever he wants diversity or not). You know, killing the "Nervous man" is a start, but it lacks depth. A better example is the Merchant from Warband, which gives you a lot of quests at the beginning of the game, but I don't want the player to be forced to do them. Nevertheless, I still think that even this "better example" lacks depth.

I feel like the whole dialogue window swap kind of ruins the general feeling of the actual quest. I would like to see "windowless" conversations, and the characters having at least some basic animations for gestures. Moreover, the walls of texts during the talk are boring and it's easy to miss the essential information. If anyone supports my idea about the conversation system and quests, please don't hesitate to tell your opinion, because we can hope for a change in that way.

The Bowman said:
I feel like the whole dialogue window swap kind of ruins the general feeling of the actual quest. I would like to see "windowless" conversations, and the characters having at least some basic animations for gestures. Moreover, the walls of texts during the talk are boring and it's easy to miss the essential information. If anyone supports my idea about the conversation system and quests, please don't hesitate to tell your opinion, because we can hope for a change in that way.

I personally prefer text instead of voice acting. Text allows more diversity in things people say, it's easier to change and fix lines, It's cheaper and less time consuming, and it also allows modders to add their won conversations. Taleworlds, please have text instead of voice acting :3

I think a lot of the technical details will be lost on most people, but I liked this blog a lot.

I'm really happy hearing that its development seems to be going well. You guys have the right attitude about design for the next game.

MadVader said:
The Bowman said:
I wasn't for voice acting, but for windowless conversations.
I had the same idea for a Warband mod, floating text above NPC heads. The dialog system is ugly.
rhodoks.jpg

comic21.png

Antar said:
The Bowman said:

I personally prefer text instead of voice acting. Text allows more diversity in things people say, it's easier to change and fix lines, It's cheaper and less time consuming, and it also allows modders to add their won conversations. Taleworlds, please have text instead of voice acting :3
I agree with both of you. Skyrim did the dialogue system rather nicely imo (the little box with what you can say off to the side, and the speaker's words (the captions) at the bottom of the screen). I think a system like that could work well for Bannerlord. And I agree about not having any voice acting, but for different reasons: for me in Skyrim, a badly voiced line was a good immersion-breaker. With just text, a player can hear the words in his head as he would want to hear them aloud, without having to listen to any potentially ****ed-up or annoying voice acting. 

Pilum said:
Oliver Qvist said:
stoffe95 said:
Hello, Can you please make dual-weilding able in the new M&B !

If they tempt to keep the current combat system, duel wielding is not possible.
If you move your mouse right, then "both" the swords go right, if you move it up, then both go up. It would look stupid.
You would need 2 mouses to control 2 swords in Mount and Blade.  :wink:

I'd call it dual mousing or dual mice.

Also, nice new blog!  :grin:

Left click for left hand and right click for right hand, genius!  :grin:

Suggestion:

It would be cool it there was an option where I can create my own music playlist to play when I enter a battle, siege or other scenarios. Just a thought.  :wink:

Talesworld I just want to start with saying that you continue to amaze me and since this is a forum I will share some of my small ideas so everyone here can have a thought about them  :wink:

The first thing I would look for in Bannerlord is how dynamic the features is. How fast is the time going. Are to lords coming and going. In warband I would say they are changing factions relatively fast. And in this blog I read that each lord moreover his own personality which may be good except for making it a lot easier to finish the game the second walkthrough.

When it comes to the villages we have them raided and ruined lots of times and they are bound to the castles next to them. Maybe a way to keep troops in the villages more easily and creating them. Of course that also depends on how fast the time will be going in game.

As I also read in the blog, the military functions is evolving a lot since warband. Ambush is awesome by the way(spotting and tracking for evading ambushes?) If it is not already thought of which it looks like it is the suggestion button where you say to lords what they should do needs some rework. Maybe they can send a scout out from their own party to check what is going on and not completely refuse us if we are for some reason not worth listening to. And with more advanced military the availability to send different lords to where you want them and asking them for advice in letters?

The map we have had is the same as it was when warband first launched except for when we are using mods. Maybe a randomized map? (Cartography as a skill?)

Arvenski said:
Antar said:
The Bowman said:

I agree with both of you. Skyrim did the dialogue system rather nicely imo (the little box with what you can say off to the side, and the speaker's words (the captions) at the bottom of the screen). I think a system like that could work well for Bannerlord. And I agree about not having any voice acting, but for different reasons: for me in Skyrim, a badly voiced line was a good immersion-breaker. With just text, a player can hear the words in his head as he would want to hear them aloud, without having to listen to any potentially ****ed-up or annoying voice acting. 

The questing and game feeling can be immensily improved with voices, however mount and blade is not the type of game that has voices in it. The game itself can have voices if the opportunity is a least added when it comes to modding. However I prefer texting and if voices has the choice to be turned of I it would be the best for us all. The exception of one thing is when you are going through the taverns the towns and the lord halls absolutely all the npc's are standing still. It is boring and needs to be more lively that is one thing I will expect from bannerlord.
Ps: About the voices I am sure you have many enough fans which will voluntary do it if they have a good enough mic, which will also keep the cost down but also create a funner fan gathering community although I have not believing that will happen :razz:

If anyone of you liked my ideas say what you want about them. If you did I will be sure to share some more with you. But this file just got way to long xD
And a note to Taleworlds Bloggerlord sounds better since it is lords and kings mount and blade is about :razz:

this was probably requested a billion times before

but could you please at least try and put dual weilding into the game?

it would bring such a great experience to it :grin:
i mean come on, what would be more badass than a nord with two axes?
ya know you could make the block button use the scond weapon and when you press both buttons of the first and second weapon it'll block

ThatOneSwadianDude said:
this was probably requested a billion times before

but could you please at least try and put dual weilding into the game?

it would bring such a great experience to it :grin:
i mean come on, what would be more badass than a nord with two axes?
ya know you could make the block button use the scond weapon and when you press both buttons of the first and second weapon it'll block

YES! Another dual wielding brother!  :lol:

What I know so far.
Bannerlord_10.jpg

Bannerlord_12.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_22.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_14.png

BannerlordArtwork_19.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_20.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_21.jpg

Bannerlord_06.jpg

twdd_02_battanian_town_noon.jpg
Bannerlord_11.jpg

Bannerlord_09.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_13.jpg

Bannerlord_07.jpg

twdd_02_khuzait_village_brush.jpg

Bannerlord_01.jpg

Bannerlord_02.jpg

Bannerlord_05.jpg

Bannerlord_04.jpg

Bannerlord_03.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_15.jpg

Possibly Swadian town. Maybe Rhodok.
Bannerlord_08.jpg

Western European looking settlement and castle. Probably Swadian.
BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg

Fortification, Western.
BannerlordArtwork_16.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_18.jpg

Rallix said:
What I know so far.
Bannerlord_10.jpg

Bannerlord_12.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_22.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_14.png

BannerlordArtwork_19.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_20.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_21.jpg

Bannerlord_06.jpg

twdd_02_battanian_town_noon.jpg
Bannerlord_11.jpg

Bannerlord_09.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_13.jpg

Bannerlord_07.jpg

twdd_02_khuzait_village_brush.jpg

Bannerlord_01.jpg

Bannerlord_02.jpg

Bannerlord_05.jpg

Bannerlord_04.jpg

Bannerlord_03.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_15.jpg

Possibly Swadian town. Maybe Rhodok.
Bannerlord_08.jpg

Western European looking settlement and castle. Probably Swadian.
BannerlordArtwork_23.jpg

Fortification, Western.
BannerlordArtwork_16.jpg

BannerlordArtwork_18.jpg
I feel like my favorite faction is going to be the Battanians.

Rallix said:
Leonidas300 said:
or it will be increased so we will be able to fight with thousands of troops with a good performance? that would be amazing.
I'm afraid that this is simply too much to ask for.
If you've ever played with 500 guys on the battlefield, you'll know that alone feels pretty massive.
A thousand units was more than the vast majority of players could handle in Warband. With graphical upgrades, even compensating for the engine improvements, you cannot expect numbers that are better than Warband.

Expect worse maximum numbers, for the same PC, not better. If TW were confident they could produce such a miracle as you propose, they would have shown hints at it by now.

I reckon they should allow an option that lets you have up to 800 or so people on the battlefield at the same time. Also allowing which soldiers you want on the battlefield(say you just want your cavalry first off, then your foot soldiers in the next wave). Also in Warband when more soldiers entered the battlefield they just popped onto the side of the field, I reckon there should be a few tents at both sides of the battlefield and the soldiers come out form there instead of just spawning on the field. (Just for a bit of added realistic-ness)

Back
Top Bottom