Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Hello all!</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">As many of you may have noticed, we have been rather busy! Last week, we visited Cologne, Germany to attend Gamescom, the largest game conference in Europe. While there, we took appointments to demonstrate some Bannerlord gameplay to the world's media. Along with this, we released a few videos which were used as part of our presentation.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">It has been great to see the excited response to the clips and we're very pleased that your feedback has been so positive! Of course, the game is still very much in development and so we had to make decisions about what to put in the videos and how it would be presented.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Here, we have compiled some of the highlights, along with a small smattering of new footage, which we want to present to you the community, along with a little explanation about some of the features.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/13

I made it a bit unclear in my post, but I wanted to know if they would make something like outposts, since I think they would be a positive addition to the game, especially for the early parts.
But thanks for the responce :smile:

I know we are all in the same boat here, both wanting the game to be finished as soon as possible and wanting regular updates.  I know that these aren't mutually exclusive but for me the most important is to have the game finished ASAP.  Captain Lust's post makes perfect sense where the intention is to provide a blog when it is appropriate and the information is good and shows the game in a good light but without interrupting the development team.  I want a blog now; no in fact I want it yesterday but I will curb my impatience and wait until TW are ready to give me one.  What I have seen so far looks awesome and whether I get a blog every week or every 6 months will not change the fact I will buy this as soon as it is available.

Somewhatpro said:
I would burn your petition.

Do you want a **** game?
that's how to get a **** game.

I think you didn't get what I meant, did you? I don't want them to get finished as fast as possible. I would just love to see some lifesigns of the game from time to time. They should take their time to make a brilliant game. But why is it so difficult to post a few bits of information? I mean, for how long is this "Features" page saying "Content coming soon"? Every two weeks something like "There will be x factions" or "Horses can be armored" or "There will be board games" or whatever would be enough. Just one single sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who check every day 3 times if there's something new and is then pissed when there isn't. And I'm neither one of those who just want the game to be released as fast as possible. I would just like to see some facts of the game, something that raises the anticipation. Some day, when the game will be released, I might not even care about it, sitting there with the attitude "Okay it's there. Maybe I'm gonna get it soon".

bankert320 said:
Somewhatpro said:
I would burn your petition.

Do you want a **** game?
that's how to get a **** game.

I think you didn't get what I meant, did you? I don't want them to get finished as fast as possible. I would just love to see some lifesigns of the game from time to time. They should take their time to make a brilliant game. But why is it so difficult to post a few bits of information? I mean, for how long is this "Features" page saying "Content coming soon"? Every two weeks something like "There will be x factions" or "Horses can be armored" or "There will be board games" or whatever would be enough. Just one single sentence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who check every day 3 times if there's something new and is then pissed when there isn't. And I'm neither one of those who just want the game to be released as fast as possible. I would just like to see some facts of the game, something that raises the anticipation. Some day, when the game will be released, I might not even care about it, sitting there with the attitude "Okay it's there. Maybe I'm gonna get it soon".
ah. I am just trying to make a point that it is not a good idea to try to rush people. Fine. Demand information, but don't expect it. I don't really care about this, but damn this devblog better be good.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who check every day 3 times....."

I had to laugh when I read this because I think I have checked about 20 times in the last month  :lol:

Has there been any mention of "Early Access" for this game?  I'm usually not a big fan of Early Access (due to some companies cashing-in followed by false promises in the past), but I think it would be the *perfect* middle-ground for those who want to play the same sooner than later, and those who want a properly-polished, full-featured game by the end of it.  This is one of my most anticipated games in memory.  But assuming they're continuously working on this, I too want them to take as long as they need.

We'd all win then, surely.  :grin:

Victor5 said:
Has there been any mention of "Early Access" for this game?  I'm usually not a big fan of Early Access (due to some companies cashing-in followed by false promises in the past), but I think it would be the *perfect* middle-ground for those who want to play the same sooner than later, and those who want a properly-polished, full-featured game by the end of it.  This is one of my most anticipated games in memory.  But assuming they're continuously working on this, I too want them to take as long as they need.

We'd all win then, surely.  :grin:

Taleworlds is a professional, comparatively big (or medium-sized) studio (with at least 70 employees if I remember correctly), I'd be for a proper Beta at some point instead of early access.

skeleton-cobwebs-waiting.jpg

Waiting for a new blog

Dangerdude said:
I heard they are going to add  Co-op campaign. Is it true?
That would be a very unique and groundbreaking step if the rumours are true. It would become the 'Game of the Year' and be the top selling game on steam most definitely. Let's hope.

Dangerdude said:

No. Nobody knows any such thing; that 'rumour' is just people who want Co-op getting carried away, repeating wishes as if they were fact.

The Bowman said:
I never knew that fixing a text bug on the map takes 4 months. Well, I guess we're learnt the working tempo of the TW employees. :razz:

I know you are being flippant and don't literally believe that Bowman, but to head off any misunderstanding of the situation that some people might form, I will add my tuppence. It would be a strange coincidence if the update of the engine caused the bug immediately after Gamescom (four months ago), rather than a month or two ago - as Lust explained, they are frequently refining and adding to the engine they have made, which is why these bugs crop up. That said, Lust did say that ''The result, in this case, is that a hotfix has been applied to the text'', which suggests the problem has already been solved. Maybe though he meant the hot fix is being worked on, or maybe the other features for the blog post have not all been finished. Remember, he did say that the feature which caused the bug is ''part of the main subject of the blog post'', so it is not just a matter of the hot fix being the only thing needed for them to do the blog.

In case there is anyone here who didn't read Lust's recent post in the main Bannerlord thread, I will add it in a spoiler below. It explains a little bit about how they work:
I don't normally do this but since it has gained some interest (and I feel a little guilty about unfairly singling you out 578!), I'll try to give a bit of insight as to how things work and explain a little bit about my role.

So currently our next planned blog post (and there is always one) involves using visuals from the main map. We've decided not to release any blog posts without visuals, in order to meet expectations and always provide something that will please everyone with each post. Since we make our own engine, which is developed alongside the game, it's natural that as new tech is added conflicts arise. These often result in some graphical errors within the game as the artists catch up to updates in the engine, which is perfectly normal as the artists may be busy with other things. Right now, there happened to be a problem with the way the text on the map (showing the names of settlements is rendered) due to a new feature added, which ironically is part of the main subject of the blog post. In the normal course of development, this might be resolved in a month or so when one of the programmers responsible for updating the UI takes on that task as part of her or his normal workload. We could simply ignore the error but our approach is to avoid misrepresenting the game, either positively or negatively when we share information or visuals. The result, in this case, is that a hotfix has been applied to the text, which unfortunately takes time away from development (something we normally try to avoid) for the blog. It happens that this fix will be useful to us in other ways, so this time no real harm has been done...

To present something worthwhile, with visuals that we are satisfied do a good job representing the game, it can sometimes take time. If it was the case that development was more structured around sharing information then perhaps we could make more frequent posts.

Ultimately, I'm not too dissatisfied at the rate with which we share information... (don't crucify me!) It won't make the game come any faster if we share more, even though it may feel like it and in the end, that's what's important. That doesn't mean we don't hear your calls though, it just means we need to balance our efforts.

Every blog post typically has a different story but the flow is often the same: minimising extra work done specifically for the blog, while avoiding showing the game with obtrusive errors that simply sell short the excellent work done by the team.

I know I'm waffling a little but this is just the faceted nature of issues that come with sharing information. If we were working with a premade engine, as most companies do, managing this without losing time would naturally be easier. Obviously the reasons for using our own engine are separate. We have a fantastic team working on it and it's actually because they're doing so much and working so fast that these kinds of issues arise.

My role in all this is not to twiddle my thumbs and ignore the community but to help organise and find solutions, as well as arrange what we release and of course, write them! (that bit's easy though :smile:)

I do all sorts of things in the company and right now, one of my main roles is being involved in planning what we will be showing in March at the PC Gamer Weekender (something I'm very excited about!). I also get involved in development in various ways, where I represent the voice of the community and offer my own ideas.

Doing the competitive streams and getting involved in the competitive community is something which (as mentioned) I was doing years before I joined the company and it still takes up a lot of my free time, almost functioning as my hobby rather than my main job. My belief in the Mount & Blade series is the main reason that I came out to Turkey to work for the company in the first place!

Hopefully this post doesn't come across too bleeding-heart or as an attempt to shed responsibility (or get me fired :lol:). What I can't stress enough is that since I came out here three years ago, it is a constant source of joy for me to work with TaleWorlds, a brilliant company and developer full of talented and passionate people.

As a final note, I'd just like to say that I prefer not being the centre of attention, which is why I generally don't write posts like this. We're here to talk about the game and not me!

Dangerdude said:
Co-op would be extraordinarily amazing, especially if friends could join and leave as they please (as long as the host pc is running the server).

Back
Top Bottom