Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Hello all!</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">As many of you may have noticed, we have been rather busy! Last week, we visited Cologne, Germany to attend Gamescom, the largest game conference in Europe. While there, we took appointments to demonstrate some Bannerlord gameplay to the world's media. Along with this, we released a few videos which were used as part of our presentation.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">It has been great to see the excited response to the clips and we're very pleased that your feedback has been so positive! Of course, the game is still very much in development and so we had to make decisions about what to put in the videos and how it would be presented.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Here, we have compiled some of the highlights, along with a small smattering of new footage, which we want to present to you the community, along with a little explanation about some of the features.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/13

they should look at infinity battlscape engine for future games could create a how world with that with a lot more tipes of game play options

I'm pretty sure I missed this topic being discussed, so I would kindly ask if there is any info on a feature supporting multiplayer both on the campaign map and on the field per-say. It might actually be simpler than at a first glance: the players would engage within a map, especially made for multiplayer - or a section of the original map, or the whole map depending on the preferences and number of players - and simply engage in actions with one-another just as in singleplayer, but of course with much more options regarding diplomacy. This system would be crucial in multiplayer, giving each character the ability to send messengers containing any kind of message to any of the other characters.

More options should be implemented within such a system such as the ability to respond, intercept, kill the messenger etc. - allowing for a far larger range of interaction possibilities. The fact that these are between real players would make everything even a little 'easier' on the system, hence truces and alliances would be kept by the player themselves, allowing for them to be broken at will.

Two main problems would arise in such a multiplayer system though:
1. The overall time of a game.
2. The discrepancy between real-time fighting and the campaign-map time.

These could be quite easily overcome by simply twisting firstly a few starting status options and secondly some time-passing settings:
1. To decrease the time needed for a game to complete (which in single-player could last forever) each game should have customizable settings consisting starting options - similar to the Total War Series - where, within a consensus regarding a money frame, each player is able to invest within their belongings: be it army (troops), defense (castles and fortresses), economy (villages and trade) etc.
2. An overall goal to be achieved - realistic within the thought-of time period needed for a game to finish - such as the first to have a number of castles, the first to reach a certain wealth, the first to conquer a certain kingdom (be it NPC or player, who would initially have more wealth than all other players combined in order to stimulate alliances) or even a time limit to the game.
3. The real-time battles vs. campaign time: a simple fix would be simply slowing down the time passing within the campaign map and increasing the time passing on field. The effect would not be slower travel necessarily on the campaign map, but a longer period needed to reach the battle itself: for example there is a battle going on between two characters. One of them sends for help from an ally (real players). This ally can choose to rush to the battle and as they rush to it the battle of course continues between the two players normally. Once the ally has reached the battle, they would enter the battle field, but with an increased range/distance from the main battle. They would have to march all the way in oder to help. Of course, large maps would be an important aspect here, which I don't know how realistic would be. In this case a time limit (up to a few minutes) until one is able to actually join the battle would be thinkable. Within this time the character could take care of something else, eg. send out orders through messengers.

A simpler way would be the ability for the ally to send troops by themselves to help out. These troops would be put under the command of the one who needs support upon arrival and then return automatically when the battle is over.

4. Multiple fights at the same time: this could cause a problem. What if one player is engaged within a fight and has their castle attacked at the same time. Simple: the attacked partition would be just as is in the current system led by AI. However, the player should be able to implement a certain algorithm or strategy regarding reactions upon being attacked. For example one could have to option to play as defensive as possible, as in, NPCs run away in the castles and try to engage as little in hand to hand, or extremely offensive, as in, cavalry would go around the fortress, through the back, and attack while the archers and infantry stay inside.

5. Roles. Meaning of course one can choose to start as a nomad, as a barbarian, thief or lord etc.

Of course, if the main character dies within a battle, they are out of the game - alternative options are thinkable.

RECAP - it's simper than it seems:
How to implement multiplayer campaign games with real-time battlefields?
1. Each player has a money limit to choose their starting conditions.
2. Large range of overall goals (similar to Heroes of Might and Magic) to choose from.
3. Smaller or maps made especially for multiplayer.
4. Algorithmic programing (if...then statements) of AI troops.
5. Time overall equal during campaign and battles (slower for campaign, faster for battles in the sense of a day passing).
6. Adjusting of distance upon joining a battle.

It's not perfect, but definitely better than nothing.

One main and most unique feature of mountandblade is its sandbox or singleplayer its not really a multiplayer game one thing about games like mount and blade is, it's either only multiplayer or singleplayer with a storyline and what makes mount and blade special is its ability to add a little multiplayer to the single player, if it was really multiplayer based they would have released it a long time ago. Most  Mount and blade players are not really concerned about multiplayer because they know the singleplayer is much fun, that's why there is all this fuss about realism, where I sit in my room and feel like I am in a real medieval world  ,who needs realism in multiplayer? :wink: if you need multiplayer that badly go and try war of the roses and stuff.

I, too, prefer the single-player aspect but I acknowledge that different people have different tastes. We can't just ask developers to cater to one portion of their customers' interest. I want them to make the BEST single player experience for my own sake, but I always want them to make the BEST multiplayer experience for the other fans' sakes. I just don't understand where this idea on game forums of it being us vs them comes from.

Well said, I think multiplayer won't be  that bad , if it ends up in the game. By the way are girls on this forum? I mean mount and blade players, because everyone seems to be a boy.

cherac said:
Well said, I think multiplayer won't be  that bad , if it ends up in the game. By the way are girls on this forum? I mean mount and blade players, because everyone seems to be a boy.
Numerous girls:  Here's one: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;u=130936

Lets cut the spam before it's too late...

Maybe I haven't got news about the game, but there's some pics from "inside"

Varrak said:
Actually government economically supports taleworlds for their inhouse engine, if i know right. I think science ministery sees that game engine as strategic R&D project for game industry. If i am not wrong minister visited taleworlds this year to see game engine (right?)

Edit : i found this

Bloc said:
dragos said:
RabbleKnight said:
Lack of money to fully finish the game.
I don't think so. There is a huge ministry logo on their stand's wall :smile:
QlZXnZ.jpg
Republic of Turkey also take support from Ministry of Turkish Economy but our economy is not so well  :smile:
Beside the joke , Taleworlds got their Ministry funding by the help of Digital Game Developer Association's(Doged) attempts.Ali Erkin was really active in DOGED but I'm not sure if he is still active or not. Here  , It's from Science, Industry and Technology minister Fikri Işık's visit in 2013. You see  , no one has any clue about what they are doing  :lol:
10425035_10204492692376360_6004155669920953957_n.jpg
And this picture is from Turkey's booth. Its not Taleworld's booth. So Its normal to see that logo probably.

Bonus picture ,
Untitled-1.jpg

cherac said:
Most  Mount and blade players are not really concerned about multiplayer because they know the singleplayer is much fun, that's why there is all this fuss about realism, where I sit in my room and feel like I am in a real medieval world  ,who needs realism in multiplayer? :wink: if you need multiplayer that badly go and try war of the roses and stuff.
Saying multiplayer doesn't need realism is equal to trying to disarm the need for realism at all. There are multiplayer-specific aspects concerning realism. A quick scan through my posts will show you that I probably am the person most keen on supporting the implementation of realism. When it comes to the debate between single- and multiplayer a quote should clarify my standing point:
testertesting said:
Well, considering the SP experience has all the important features [which I mentioned countless times: strategy, dynamics, tactics, freedom of choice] I would hardly see MP failing - on the contrary. As stated previously:
testertesting said:
So singleplayer should continue to be the focusing point in my opinion, because if the singeplayer experience is satisfying so will the multiplayer. In other words, singeplayer would engulf multiplayer - not vice-versa.
But let's not talk about focusing on either one of the modes, but rather what each mode should be expected to have (best-case scenario of course). A lot has been talked about generally [myself included] such as combat mechanics and real-time tactics, strategies which apply to both multiplayer and singeplayer. So everything that has been discussed regarding a perfection of the battlemap itself can be considered generally available for both multiplayer and singeplayer.
And of course, singleplayer can only reach a certain level before it gets 'redundant' (not to say boring). Having real people who implement real strategies in real-time playing with and/or against one is definitely a spice-up for this genre - I would even say a necessity. The question I was trying to raise was not weather realism should be the absolute main point (it should, I talked about that ever since) or weather singleplayer should be the focusing point or not (it should), but how far one is willing to take the multiplayer experience - which is not to be set aside. Now that I think of it, MP is starting to seem like one of the more important aspects of Bannerlord. After all, people are what makes an experience worthy of experiencing. So, if you wish to contribute then please respond to the topic at hand.

As far as other games of this genre go:
testertesting said:
Also, none of the current games even come close to what WB offers, even in mutiplayer. Chivalry and War of Roses are simple hack&slash games, not much strategy nor teamplay come at hand, just player skill and awareness. I have yet to see a single-player and multiplayer game of this genre where strategy (teamplay, formations, tactics) actually matter. However we will shorty start seeing rivalries with Meele: Battlegrounds and Kingdome Come, but as far as the leaked videos show concerning these games they'll be simple improvements of M&B, not offering much novelty. Here is where Bannerlord would come in having 5 years of experience in this field and essentially overshadowing all of the other medieval-genre combat games. Even if not the masterpiece we are expecting, I still have faith in Bannerlord to deliver at least a better experience than any other game out there.

Back
Top Bottom