Most wanted module system additions

Users who are viewing this thread

Manitas said:
It would greatly increase my modding efficiency, if I didn't have to reboot my machine every time I leave m&b.

I mean, yeah, quality of service stuff is so meaningless and stuff, but i would not mind if the issue was adressed somewhere in between.

??? I don't have to do that... I think your comp is messed up.

catsoup said:
-script to change worldmaps ("travel")

You can always just make 2 parts to 1 map, and teleport between them.

Manitas said:
It would greatly increase my modding efficiency, if I didn't have to reboot my machine every time I leave m&b.

I mean, yeah, quality of service stuff is so meaningless and stuff, but i would not mind if the issue was adressed somewhere in between.

I've found that closing the game using the x in the window title bar doesn't properly de-initialise the game, and after around 10-15 restarts, with doing this, its so full of old data that the game starts showing artefacts and then crashes when trying to open.

If you close using the main menu it seems to work fine though.  Try that if you are not already.

Thorgrim said:
I've found that closing the game using the x in the window title bar doesn't properly de-initialise the game, and after around 10-15 restarts, with doing this, its so full of old data that the game starts showing artefacts and then crashes when trying to open.

If you close using the main menu it seems to work fine though.  Try that if you are not already.
I'm playing it fullscreen, hence always close the game via menus.
Unfortunetely, running the exe prevents windows from launching any direct3d based app afterwards, including m&b.

possibility to hire more troops
choose the best soldiers to get into a battle (before start, obvious)

Is it possible (I think its hard-coded...)  to influence WHICH weapon an NPC or recruited troop uses, and when?
So if I re-equip Swadian Crossbowman with a crossbow, a spear and a dagger, I can have him set to use crossbow until range to target less than 110, use spear until range to target less than 45.
For example.

I've thought of somthing else, though not really a module addition:

a stand to attention anims that guards and such can use so they hold their spears upright etc..

-control of unit height, weight, musculature, head size, etc.
-ability to give combat AI to riderless horses: specifically for wargs, war dogs, etc.
-ability to reasign different skeletons and animations to units.  If done right, centaurs and fawns should be possible.

Ultimately, it should be possible to make working Transformers. :wink:

I'd like to be able to modify animations, as the current attacks get kind of wonky when you have a rigid breastplate without shoulder pads to conceal said wonkyness. Modular AI would also be very nice.

Matheus said:
choose the best soldiers to get into a battle (before start, obvious)

Indeed - a pre-battle glimpse of the terrain, or at least a quick

"You will be fighting in a forested/grassy/mountainous/marshy area - order your forces well"
followed by a trip to the party screen.

Not sure if has be mentioned but something that would help: being able to make mounts "fire" so that we could make tanks or other things, this would definatly help the star wars mod aswell as many others. it would also be nice to be able to adjust chararcter height and such so that we could make large trolls or ogres or things like that.

I think you can do that already. You can assign multiple textures for, say, a shield, as long as each texture represents a property, such as rusty. You can't just have two different looks that are randomly selected, though.

I really want to be able to alter item properties and add new ones, like be able to make rusty swords take damage like a shield, or make properties for horses that affect colour, like a black heavy courser.

After having worked a bit trying to implement some features, I've finally got some ideas for this thread:

Ways to define new terrain types.

Ways to define what icon is selected for the player, so you can have both ship and horse icons.

Scene props that could be given movement vectors, that could also be changed by in-scene triggers (useful for boats, siege towers, possibly drawbridges if you could have rotation as well as direction).

A variation on "rest for hours" that would allow hostile parties to notice and attack you.

A status tag that can be assigned to individual parties to distinguish them from other parties of the same template("already_robbed", "alerted", "unalerted").

nijis said:
A status tag that can be assigned to individual parties to distinguish them from other parties of the same template("already_robbed", "alerted", "unalerted").
Parties have slots which you can access which will do that. Check out party_get_slot and party_set_slot. Slots store a numerical value which you can set to whatever you need.

A couple of minor things, but all-important to yours truly.....

(1) A "Give troops" screenie.  Just like the exchange troops or take prisoners screen, but one which you can only give troops to an encountered party, but not take troops from them.  Useful for reinforcement missions.

(Use to be able to workaround that, but with the new parties & menus screens,  I can't anymore). 

(2)  A "Set exchange troops source" command.  i.e. a way to assign a source party to a troop (in a similar way as merc source parties are assigned to tavern-keepers)  so that the exchange troops screen can be opened up in-town.

(3) Have a little more control of mission endings (or, at least allow a consistent dialogue when battles finish, so that the troop who greets you in a party encounter is also the troop who talks to you when defeated.  Currently, if two heroes are in one party, one hero greets at party encounter, the other hero speaks at party defeated. Annoyingly inconsistent.)

(4) I'd welcome a versatile auto-menu system that makes it easier to code more inner-city stuff (esp. where tab outs can be more explicitly defined and controlled).  Maybe that's just my bad skills, but some menu-jumping stuff I'd like to do is just darn impossible to script. :oops:

(5) It would be nice to have party_encounter conditional line which can be added to differentiate the encounter dialogue when that party is engaged in battle or is just patrolling alone. 

(6) It would simplify life quite a bit if the dialogue partner opening "anyone|other(trp_name), ", the trp_name tag could be made a  flexible $tring or a range. 

(7) If troop stacks are not going to be limited in the next version, I'd like a way to limit them.

"Check out party_get_slot and party_set_slot. Slots store a numerical value which you can set to whatever you need."

Excellent - many thanks. For some reason I had a misconception of what that did. That will teach me to suggest stuff when I don't fully understand the possibilities that are already there.

i know star wars mod was wishing it could have lightsabres blocking missles, and still attacking with said lightsabre.  actually it would be nice to set certain abilities reserved for some weapons, thus remove couching for certain polearms, shield bashing, etc.
and i second being able to modify the effects of those hard coded things
- To make global variables moddable (armor penalty for blunt/piercing damage, headshot bonus etc..)

set_speed_modifier_for_party, whereby you enter in a multiplier which can either temporarily or permanently increase or decrease party speed on the world map.

This opens the door to all kinds of things -- immobilizing player parties while they perform certain tasks (looting the countryside, say, or assembling siege ladders) without resting them, fatigue, adding in the risk of occasional mishaps (throwing horseshoes/getting lost), winds at sea for naval mods, etc.

In particular, I was thinking of ways to add some suspense to long chases, where both pursuer and pursuee have to carefully weigh the risks involved in coaxing a little bit of extra speed at the risk of mishaps. George MacDonald Frasier's Flashman series and Patrick O'Brien's Master and Commander books in particular offer lots of possibilities for chases involving horses and ships, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom