Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys if i want to add a feature any one has a link to a tutorial for learning to code them also i want to add something like crusaders in anno domini mod that rooms around etc are they same as bandits but edit relations only or something different thanks in advance

Using paint.net -
when opening some dds files for retexturing I get a white and grey checkerboard with a few faint grey shapes (costumes most of the time but occasionally a modder's OSP textures do this.)

2 questions - Why are some textures like this when others are plainly visable?
How do I get the image to show up so I know what goes where?

twinsens said:
Using paint.net -
when opening some dds files for retexturing I get a white and grey checkerboard with a few faint grey shapes (costumes most of the time but occasionally a modder's OSP textures do this.)

2 questions - Why are some textures like this when others are plainly visable?
How do I get the image to show up so I know what goes where?

These textures have an additional alpha channel. Some shaders make use of them, for example the iron_shader uses it as a spec map. Paint.net can't seperate the alpha channel, you need GIMP for that.

Where do I edit tournament gear?
I want the game to use 'Tourney' armor in tournaments by default. Where do I edit it? Please give me a step-by-step solution, if possible, or at least tell me the file name that I need to edit.
Thanks.

i want to have something like crusaders in anno domini i created the faction,party templates added a spawn point but they dont appear what should i do or what is messing ?

zidozido said:
i want to have something like crusaders in anno domini i created the faction,party templates added a spawn point but they dont appear what should i do or what is messing ?

There is a tutorial here somewhere for adding new parties, is very old but probably still works.

edit- here https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,53192.0.html

Corbul said:
Where do I edit tournament gear?
I want the game to use 'Tourney' armor in tournaments by default. Where do I edit it? Please give me a step-by-step solution, if possible, or at least tell me the file name that I need to edit.
Thanks.

You might want to look at items and troops in module_items.py and module_troops.py with arena in their names. Also in module_scripts.py take a look at the script set_items_for_tournament and the armour/helm parameters set by the calls for this script in module_game_menus.py.

How would I prevent players from chosing a Claimant's banner during banner selection? I'm certain it has something to do with game_profile_banner_selection in module_presentations, but I'm not sure what or where I would put the exclusions.

Hey y'all, new here and new to modding warband as well.
Would love some pointers from you veterans (or just from people who are more tech-savvy than me).
I've been using Swyter's Cartographer to get my world map into my mod, but no matter the changes done to the parties' placement in the editor - the game either crashes when starting a new game (message says something akin to "unable to place main party at *coordinates*) or just places the parties in the vanilla "pattern" but on top of my geography.
Here's what it looks like in cartographer vs in-game:

Any and all help would be greatly apreciated

ok i get invalid syntax error every time i almost every time i add something to module scripts so and its always in the last block of code the modmerger so i would like to find a solution rather than reloading backup files here is the code
Code:
#JQ COMPANIONS QUICKVIEW

]
# modmerger_start version=201 type=2
try:
    component_name = "scripts"
    var_set = { "scripts" : scripts }
    from modmerger import modmerge
    modmerge(var_set)
except:
    raise
# modmerger_end

so what is the error i keep doing ?

VainWarlord said:
something akin to "unable to place main party at *coordinates*

1) always copy the exact message of a error. Enable EDIT MODE to get it on your rgl_log.txt as well.

2) Read and interpret the error message

main party = player party
unable to place = trying to move it to some coordinate
at coordinates = the position on the world map it was trying to pick

3) Find where in the game code this action is taken. Check the conditions and what you did wrong. Fix it. Test again.

Example from Native:
Code:
  ("game_start",
   [
      (faction_set_slot, "fac_player_supporters_faction", slot_faction_state, sfs_inactive),
      (assign, "$g_player_luck", 200),
      (assign, "$g_player_luck", 200),
      (troop_set_slot, "trp_player", slot_troop_occupation, slto_kingdom_hero),
      (store_random_in_range, ":starting_training_ground", training_grounds_begin, training_grounds_end),
      (party_relocate_near_party, "p_main_party", ":starting_training_ground", 3),
see last line above

Thanks for replying so fast!

kalarhan said:
1) always copy the exact message of a error. Enable EDIT MODE to get it on your rgl_log.txt as well.

I'm sorry, but how do I enter Edit mode? Is this done in the main menu at game launch or in-world. I'm still very new to this.
Opened the rlg_log.txt and had a look, not sure what to make of it.

kalarhan said:
main party = player party
unable to place = trying to move it to some coordinate
at coordinates = the position on the world map it was trying to pick

Yeah, I mean what the terminology means here, but I don't understand why the game would shut down.
Here's the process that confuses me:
1. I move the parties (including the main party) in such a way that they are all placed on valid, passeable terrain on the map in the editor.
2. I save map.txt and save edited parties. Then I export the .obj. I run the build.module.bat and then run the game.
3. When I open the game, i get the random placement or the error message which seems to indicate that main party (or something else?) is placed on unaccessable terrain - despite the fact that everything SHOULD work fine.

What am I missing here, am I making some obvious mistake?

And I would love to take a look at the code to backtrack, but where can i find it? I get that these are all frustrating noob questions, but I've been beating my head against this issue for hours and really want to learn whats up.

VainWarlord said:
What am I missing here, am I making some obvious mistake?

see my post above. First step in a new game is to move the player party to a random position. If that position is bugged (invalid), it will not work, right? See the code, check if you still have those reference points (training grounds), modify the code to what you need, and test it again.

just remember that is just a Native rule, something a Warband developer decided to do. You do not need to do the same. It is your game, your code, your rules.

kalarhan said:
see my post above. First step in a new game is to move the player party to a random position. If that position is bugged (invalid), it will not work, right? See the code, check if you still have those reference points (training grounds), modify the code to what you need, and test it again.

Yeah, I guess the problem is that you keep telling me to refer to the code - and I would love to do that, but I don't quite know where to look.
I'm new to modding and programming as a whole, which means that "code" tells me nothing. Is there a txt file I need to read? is there a python script?
I guess this is basics, but it's not obvious to someone like me.

Code:
*** Warband Refined & Enhanced Compiler Kit (W.R.E.C.K.) version 1.0.0 ***
Please report errors, problems and suggestions at http://lav.lomskih.net/wreck/

Loading module... FAILED.
MODULE `scripts` ERROR:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "compile.py", line 109, in <module>
    from module_scripts import *
  File "F:\Mount and Blade - Warband\Modules\Alpujarras Wars V.4 test\code\module_scripts.py", line 35539
    ]),
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

COMPILATION FAILED.

Press any key to continue . . .
i want to know why every time i add something to module scripts this happens and also get error always in this code
Code:
]
# modmerger_start version=201 type=2
try:
    component_name = "scripts"
    var_set = { "scripts" : scripts }
    from modmerger import modmerge
    modmerge(var_set)
except:
    raise
# modmerger_end
always there is an error in the try after i add something new. the code of the mentioned error above :
Code:
		(else_try),
			(party_is_active, ":new_camp"),
			(str_store_party_name, s4, ":new_camp"),
			(remove_party, ":new_camp"),
			(party_template_set_slot, ":bandit_template", slot_party_template_lair_party, 0),
		(else_try),
		(try_end),	 	 
	(try_end),
    ]),

please explain to me why this error occurs to me all time i usually fixed it by copying the line of code from a backup but now i have no backup so please respond to me and explain why it happens from the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom