Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea how to change the texture of lakes without ****ing up the rest of the sea and water surfaces?

I need to make a swamp to be specific and I need the water to be green but I also wanted my ocean happy blue. Is there a way to have both without having to sacrifice one?

First ;

HyperCharge said:
Im copied modmerger files,and necessary files,I added the mods to mod_active.And,I opened the installer.when i Installing,İt gives to me;

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "C:\Users\Spring\Desktop\Module Sys\Module_system 1.158\modmerger_installer.py", line 424, in (module)
       main_menu ()
     File "C:\Users\Spring\Desktop\Module Sys\Module_system 1.158\modmerger_installer.py", line 483, in main_menu
       install_modmerger ()
     File "C:\Users\Spring\Desktop\Module Sys\Module_system 1.158\modmerger_installer.py", line 339, in install_modmerger
       if(   brand_component_source_file(comp_name)   ):
     File "C:\Users\Spring\Desktop\Module Sys\Module_system 1.158\modmerger_installer.py", line 233, in brand_component_source_file
       f  -  open(source_filename)
|OError|  [Error 2] No such file or directory : 'module_animations.py'

And CMD window is closing quickly by itself.

Why it gives to me ?

Second;

Im opening the saved Wings files,but when i opened,my model is missing.

Third;

How can i do troop trees window in the Camp menu ? there have a topic and link.But its dead.

Thank you for now.

PoisonCourtesan said:
Any idea how to change the texture of lakes without ****ing up the rest of the sea and water surfaces?

I need to make a swamp to be specific and I need the water to be green but I also wanted my ocean happy blue. Is there a way to have both without having to sacrifice one?

There might be a separate material for "deep water" which you can use. If not it's just one of them hardcoded things.

jacobhinds said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
There might be a separate material for "deep water" which you can use. If not it's just one of them hardcoded things.
Hmm did a bit of a search and found that there's "ocean" and "deep_ocean" materials. I don't seem to find the second as a file anywhere though.

Now how does one tell the game to use a different texture for lakes?

PoisonCourtesan said:
jacobhinds said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
Any idea how to change the texture of lakes without ******** up the rest of the sea and water surfaces?
Hmm did a bit of a search and found that there's "ocean" and "deep_ocean" materials. I don't seem to find the second as a file anywhere though.

Now how does one tell the game to use a different texture for lakes?
As far as I know, you can't. There are three types of water terrain and only two textures in Native, one for rivers and another for oceans and lakes. And with the way terrains are hardcoded, well, you're probably stuck. I'm not sure where did you find deep_ocean material as I cannot find it anywhere in CommonRes - are you sure it's not an artifact of some 3rd party mod?

Shapes. No, there is no shapes. You give that form with vertex colors. There isn't any pre-defined "shape" as in rivers.

PoisonCourtesan said:
Hmm can't help but wonder then, can I change the shapes of rivers to lakes? I don't need rivers.
If you dont have any rivers you can replace the native river texture with a more lake type one, and then alter the world map so that rivers are replaced by lakes

But the thing is it will replace the ocean. So you have sea, river and lake and I just want to separate at least one of them from using the same material. Can that be done?

I've change the river texture to green to have green swamps but now I have a green ocean which looks like the apocalypse has finally hit Calradia.

It's all about trying to find a way around the stupid module limitations.

jacobhinds said:
you change the material, not the texture. you'll have to bring the materials.brf "in house" via module.ini and change the texture calls for the map_river material.
Isn't that the same? Doesn't change anything. You can't tell lakes to use another material instead of river.dds. That defeats the point.
Seek n Destroy said:
Not sure about that one but maybe you could use vertex painting on the swamp part of the map, if I remember correctly in one of the world map creation tutorials that is somewhere in the forge the author used vertex painting to make the roads which used the grass material.

I think I'm wrong about that one, found the thread although images are missing: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,189632.msg4539455.html#msg4539455
So I edit the map as a mesh and apply vertex coloring to the parts of water I wish to be green. Sounds plausible. Is the river material, its flags and its shader able to show the vertex coloring correctly?

If it isn't much trouble I guess someone could do a quick test with a simple mesh for science modding, I think someone like Swyter or LaGrandmaster that worked extensively with the world map might be able to tell more. Making the swamp as a map icon might be viable too if you are inventive.

Seek n Destroy said:
If it isn't much trouble I guess someone could do a quick test with a simple mesh for science modding, I think someone like Swyter or LaGrandmaster that worked extensively with the world map might be able to tell more. Making the swamp as a map icon might be viable too if you are inventive.
The problem with map icons is that you can walk through them since there is no collision detection applied and I'd have to make a dozen little swamp shapes. That is a lot of work.
This would all be much easier if we could make a new terrain type but nope they've denied us that too. Even then I wouldn't be able to make it impassable.

PoisonCourtesan said:
The problem with map icons is that you can walk through them since there is no collision detection applied and I'd have to make a dozen little swamp shapes. That is a lot of work.
This would all be much easier if we could make a new terrain type but nope they've denied us that too. Even then I wouldn't be able to make it impassable.
You could place lake/ocean terrain and cover it with a swamp map icon. If swamp icon is flat and wide enough, it can cover a lot of area. And since it'll be placed barely above ocean level, it should merge with land nicely enough. There's also no need to make it a certain shape - surrounding lands, being higher than the swamp icon, will define it's shape instead.

At least that's the theory.

Lav said:
PoisonCourtesan said:
You could place lake/ocean terrain and cover it with a swamp map icon. If swamp icon is flat and wide enough, it can cover a lot of area. And since it'll be placed barely above ocean level, it should merge with land nicely enough. There's also no need to make it a certain shape - surrounding lands, being higher than the swamp icon, will define it's shape instead.

At least that's the theory.
That's actually a really good idea. I'll try it, see if I can get it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom