Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cwr said:
The_dragon said:
would enyone be interested in this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXRUQgixG8 - multiplayer campaign mod made by me(please watch it)

That is amazing! :grin:

So how would it work if someone logged in at a different time then the other person? Like would the other person just disappear off of the map or would the AI take over or what?

it is currently only a test....all of mod's features are written above...

The_dragon said:
it is currently only a test....all of mod's features are written above...

Yeah I know- I just wanted to know how you would deal with that.

Either way, that looks amazing and is certainly a mod I will play when it is released! :grin:

Ok so now I have a modding question: How can you guarantee that you will capture an enemy when you beat them? I don't mean that all lords will be captured, I just want one specific NPC to always be captured.

cmpxchg8b said:
I'd say a much bigger problem is the fact that you can't play a multiplayer battle, unless you go back to the main menu and connect to a server.

it is not so big problem....battle time have this system (escape->save and exit->multiplayer-> connect to server)

I'm curious about how you're displaying the chat on the world map. For other people's parties and coordinates I'm also quite intrigued, since I remember cmp saying something that singleplayer doesn't read URL responses even if you send messages to a server. But well, kudos to you, looks quite interesting and innovative.

Lumos said:
I'm curious about how you're displaying the chat on the world map. For other people's parties and coordinates I'm also quite intrigued, since I remember cmp saying something that singleplayer doesn't read URL responses even if you send messages to a server. But well, kudos to you, looks quite interesting and innovative.

it does read the URL responses....a problem about the chat and username and pass and all that means string is that you can't use numbers...if you use numbers,warband reads them into regs,and not as a string...

Hey, I got one quick question about main world map. Is it possible to have two plogyons above each other and make player walk on the one he logicaly should (so he doesnt always teleport to the top). Example of what Id like to achieve is bridge you can walk both on and under.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

wheene said:
Hey, I got one quick question about main world map. Is it possible to have two plogyons above each other and make player walk on the one he logicaly should (so he doesnt always teleport to the top). Example of what Id like to achieve is bridge you can walk both on and under.
I think this is possible, but may require quite a bit of tinkering to look (and work) properly.
You actually got me thinking. I imagine that it could look something like this (****ty Paint drawing):
HVGvZsT.png
Where the green polies are plains or whatever, the blues are the river, and the brownish ones are the ones that support the bridge and link it with the rest of the map's geometry. But what terrain would they be? Mountain, so the player can't walk over them? Would they exist at all? Hmmm...
Anyways, I think it's completely possible. Maybe it's not even difficult for someone who know how to 3D model. :razz:

The_dragon said:
it does read the URL responses...
Hmm, interesting! I must be remembering wrong then. Anyways, good luck with your project. :smile:

Lumos said:
The_dragon said:
Hmm, interesting! I must be remembering wrong then. Anyways, good luck with your project. :smile:

i don't think i will continue developing that project,since there are lots and lots of things to do....it was more just like an ideea that campaign multiplayer is somehow possible....

The_dragon said:
Lumos said:
The_dragon said:

i don't think i will continue developing that project,since there are lots and lots of things to do....it was more just like an idea that campaign multiplayer is somehow possible....

Dude thats like the best mod idea ever, and you've already got it working somewhat- don't give up!

Anyone got an answer?
cwr said:
Ok so now I have a modding question: How can you guarantee that you will capture an enemy when you beat them? I don't mean that all lords will be captured, I just want one specific NPC to always be captured.

i simply don't know what is the best way of sending/receiving data....i don't know how to optimise a code or stuffs like that(wich is very critical for a good ping)

i managed to make the connections between players,but my way of making it is an old one...instead of receiving as much possible data as i can per request,i recevice data for only one player per request....

i was thinking of making somekind of mmorpg,with all players connected to the same map

cwr said:
Code:
... # Code code code - the script's code, ignore it for now
	# Lumos additions - always capture a given NPC
	(try_begin),
		(eq, ":troop_no", "trp_loser_that_always_gets_captured"),
		(assign, ":continue", 0),
	(try_end),
	# Lumos additions end
  # The two lines below are from the script itself, don't touch them.
      (eq, ":continue", 1),
  ]),

Lumos said:
Code:
... # Code code code - the script's code, ignore it for now
	# Lumos additions - always capture a given NPC
	(try_begin),
		(eq, ":troop_no", "trp_loser_that_always_gets_captured"),
		(assign, ":continue", 0),
	(try_end),
	# Lumos additions end
  # The two lines below are from the script itself, don't touch them.
      (eq, ":continue", 1),
  ]),

Thank you! :grin:

Lumos said:
wheene said:
I think this is possible, but may require quite a bit of tinkering to look (and work) properly.
You actually got me thinking. I imagine that it could look something like this (****ty Paint drawing):
HVGvZsT.png
Where the green polies are plains or whatever, the blues are the river, and the brownish ones are the ones that support the bridge and link it with the rest of the map's geometry. But what terrain would they be? Mountain, so the player can't walk over them? Would they exist at all? Hmmm...
Anyways, I think it's completely possible. Maybe it's not even difficult for someone who know how to 3D model. :razz:

Thanks for the response. I tried to model something pretty much like what youve drawn there, except I used single material for everything. What happened ingame was from one side, player could walk under it to about half the length of the bridge, then he suddenly teleported up. While trying to walk from the other side, he would refuse to move under the bridge and tried to go up on it from side. The problem here I think is that MnB engine uses similar, if not the same, system as Swyter in his Cartographer (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,183658.75.html) which is raytracing from above the icon and sticking it to topmost polygon found.

The game map really doesn't like it when you have holes on the map - it screws up pathfinding. Your example might be pinched though, and the implemented a* algorithm probably doesn't consider the height or overlapping vertices. What I would do is implement the bridge as a map icon placed at ground level, and make a duplicate of the player icon (both dismounted and horseman, with the appropriate flag z-offset). Have a trigger determine which quadrant the player is coming from and replace the player's icon states dynamically. If the player tries to turn 90 degrees (going to an adjacent quadrant instead of across), place the main party back in the middle of the bridge.

when the game saves automatical?(if you choosed "no quitting without saving")
i know it saves after a battle...but the rest?does it saves at a specific hour of the day or something like that?

After battles = after party encounters I think, which also applies to towns. I know it doesn't auto-save during scenes or between menus, which sometimes causes problems for quest progression.

I didn't find any good tutorials or explanation on AI Mesh, and I'm tired of searching on The Forge. Does anyone know any good tutorials on them, and can you please link them? If not, try to explain yourself if it's not too much of a bother :S

This question is for anyone who has experience making new items for M&B, as I've never actually made anything graphically for this game.

When it comes to modelling for M&B, would you say it's better to work with quads or tris? I typically do most my work in quads simply due to the fact that most game engines will automatically convert the object into tris, allowing for better mesh deformation with animations by letting the engine assign the best possible tri alignment.

That's pretty much it, any input on the subject is appreciated.

501st|Sherlock said:
I didn't find any good tutorials or explanation on AI Mesh, and I'm tired of searching on The Forge. Does anyone know any good tutorials on them, and can you please link them? If not, try to explain yourself if it's not too much of a bother :S
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,61126.0.html

Search Function said:
Honestly now. What do you people have against me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom