Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DtheHun said:
dbteepo said:
Yoshiboy said:
Eogan said:
Darnit!  I had enough trouble learning Effidian's editor, and now I've got to figure out Python. :/

So... how do I import all the work I've already done into the ModuleSystem folder?  Having to do it all over again would probably be a deal-breaker at this point.

no way atm....

It's 2018 now and this is the first time I've seen this question posed in the Q&A post of 1000+ pages. So to ask the question again, is it possible to load an existing mod into a freshly downloaded version of the Official Warband Module System v1.171?

A mod is an output of the Module System. Generally, you can't get back the source from a projection without loss.

Current Native is just a mod of its previous version. So, if you somehow got the Module System of that old mod - probably from its author - then you have to merge the two Module Systems before extracting the refreshed mod. I don't know any automated routine how to logically organize two separatly modified group of functions. I fear, that "no way" is still standing.

I think this might explain why the original author retired from the project, as he posted many times in his forums that he lost or destroyed his ModSys files, and was making changes in the text  files.

kalarhan said:
if you have the mod source (modsys) you need to update (replace/merge) the engine files (header_XXX.py), and check any bug fixes included on the normal files (module_XXX.py) or new features. As Native has not got any updates for years on the SP side, unless you are working with MP or a ancient mod (think before 1.153) then it should be a quick job.

You're referring to the original mod sys from the author of the mod I'm attempting to edit? I thought there may have been a way to share and edit work that already exists.

dbteepo said:
You're referring to the original mod sys from the author of the mod I'm attempting to edit?

yes. Check the mod forum/thread for download information, contact the original creator, and see if you can get the modsys. Some projects are open source, some are not, and some have authors willing to share it with you depending on contact.

pete99 said:
Why is it that I can only see versions of this in other languages and no English version?

Native uses the main game folder
\game folder\languages\en

Other modules will be inside their own folder
\game folder\modules\Viking Conquest\languages\en

you can always create your own languages project by starting the game on windowed mode and checking the menu.

Thanks for all the friendly and helpful responses guys, it is amazing what you guys can do. Considering the situation, I'm curious to know if there are any text editors or mod tools which are useful for viewing the .txt files of the pre existing mod in a neat manner so that I can assess what changes need to be made to continue or start over with the new ModSys?

dbteepo said:
any text editors or mod tools which are useful for viewing the .txt files

.txt files are compiled, not the source. Computer code, not meant for humans. There are no tools allowed in this forum to convert them into modsys (source).

if you are talking about the modsys then you need the .py files.

if you want suggestions on tools for coding the modsys let us know.

Well shoot, as I said before the original author had retired his mod after his ModSys went kaput. I spoke with him in attempts to revive and finish his work, with his blessings, and now I see the obstacles he was faced with. In fact one of his final statements about the project was that he would have to start over from the beginning and it's clear to me now why that was. Well again, thanks for everyone's time.

pete99 said:
Why is it that I can only see versions of this in other languages and no English version?
Native uses the main game folder
\game folder\languages\en

Other modules will be inside their own folder
\game folder\modules\Viking Conquest\languages\en

I am doing this for NW. There is an "en" folder there, but it only has 2 files in it. I tried editing the one in the main warband folder and it appeared to take effect in NW, though i'm not quite sure of how to fully remove the message. I cut out this line:

ui_value_killed_teammate|%s has killed a teammate!

But in game it just changes it to "STRING NOT FOUND. ui_value_killed_teammate"

How would you go about completely removing it? Also, how would you go about changing the teamkill message color, as in making it not red?

pete99 said:
I am doing this for NW. There is an "en" folder there, but it only has 2 files in it. I tried editing the one in the main warband folder and it appeared to take effect in NW, though i'm not quite sure of how to fully remove the message. I cut out this line:

ui_value_killed_teammate|%s has killed a teammate!

But in game it just changes it to "STRING NOT FOUND. ui_value_killed_teammate"

How would you go about completely removing it? Also, how would you go about changing the teamkill message color, as in making it not red?

when talking about non Native is up to you to be specific about that. We cant read your mind or check inside your computer. Now that you told us that you are using NW: game first loads the base languages folder, and then the module specific language folder. In the case of NW some stuff would be from Native, some from its own module. If you ever create a module you should put all your own files in there, as you have no idea/control over Native folders (no idea when they may change, or the player changes them for something else).

you cant change - usually - hardcoded messages color code per si (on a individual basis), as they are ... hardcoded. As in, inside the .exe, not the modsys. What you can do is go around it. Like put a empty string on your .csv file (prints nothing) and add your own message on a mission trigger.

Code:
ui_value_killed_teammate| (new message or empty string here)

its a key-value system. You cant remove the key or you will get a error. You can edit/remove the value.

kalarhan said:
when talking about non Native is up to you to be specific about that. We cant read your mind or check inside your computer. Now that you told us that you are using NW: game first loads the base languages folder, and then the module specific language folder. In the case of NW some stuff would be from Native, some from its own module. If you ever create a module you should put all your own files in there, as you have no idea/control over Native folders (no idea when they may change, or the player changes them for something else).

you cant change - usually - hardcoded messages color code per si (on a individual basis), as they are ... hardcoded. As in, inside the .exe, not the modsys. What you can do is go around it. Like put a empty string on your .csv file (prints nothing) and add your own message on a mission trigger.

Code:
ui_value_killed_teammate| (new message or empty string here)

its a key-value system. You cant remove the key or you will get a error. You can edit/remove the value.

Thanks. Sorry for not making that clear earlier. If  I were to create a mission trigger for the kill/death, is there some way to show the small image of the weapon that was used e.g. Musket, sword? I have found the kill_dummies things within module Items which do other symbols, but nothing for actual weapons.

When I exit this dialog, it goes straight back to the menu, putting the player in an endless loop when it should be going to the map. Whats up? I've added change_screen_map in both places and leave encounter 1, but it still doesn't want to go.

Code:
      ("continue",[],"Continue...",
       [
	   (call_script, "script_end_quest", "qst_escape_nordenfjoror"),
	   (add_xp_as_reward, 100),
	   (assign, "$knightswillshowthemselves", 11),
	   (party_add_members, "p_main_party", "trp_hernar_prisoner", 12),
	  (setup_quest_text, "qst_return_to_the_aewyl"),
      (str_store_string, s2, "@You have been discovered as a spy by the Hernar, your plan to spy on the mysterious figure is now impossible. Return to the Aewyl for a new mission."),
      (call_script,"script_start_quest","qst_return_to_the_aewyl","trp_hendrik"),
        (change_screen_return),
        (change_screen_map),
		(call_script, "script_get_meeting_scene"),
		(assign, ":meeting_scene", reg0),
        (modify_visitors_at_site,":meeting_scene"),
	    (reset_visitors),
      (set_visitor,0,"trp_player"),
      (set_visitor,17,"trp_npc15"),
      (set_jump_mission,"mt_conversation_encounter"),
      (jump_to_scene,":meeting_scene"),
      (change_screen_map_conversation, "trp_npc15"),
        ]),

Code:
     [anyone, "start", [(eq, "$g_talk_troop", "trp_npc15"),(eq, "$knightswillshowthemselves", 11),],
   "Thank you for your help, adventurer. Perhaps we will meet again...", "close_window", [(assign, "$g_leave_encounter", 1),(change_screen_map),]],

Sir John Hawkwood said:
Hello, how to import correctly meshes from Blender to openBRF, and then merge them together in a vertex animation without screwing up the mesh?
Thanks
What meshes and screwing up how?
But, generally, first, all meshes must have the exact same number of vertices/polys/etc., and, second, they all have to have the same "internal numeration" (or whatever the proper term for it is), i.e. when exporting-importing .obj meshes in Blender you have to always check "keep vertex order".

What meshes and screwing up how?
:neutral: Meshes, in my case .obj files from Blender, screwed up like...the model loses some little "pieces" and looks like a tannery frame,
with many parts stretched badly.
all meshes must have the exact same number of vertices/polys/etc.,
Without matching them you can't even merge.
in Blender you have to always check "keep vertex order"
Of course.

See this for further details. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=374708.new;topicseen#new

cwr said:
When I exit this dialog, it goes straight back to the menu

you didnt show your call chain, but try this: operation (change_screen_return). If that doesnt work then call a auto close menu like this

Code:
  (
    "close",0,
    "Nothing.",
    "none",
    [
      (change_screen_return),
    ],
    [],
  ),

Please folks i tried everything, in openBRF how do i merge correctly .obj files from Blender in a vertex animated mesh without messing it up with stretched and missing parts?
Or else, how do i make fine use of the .md3 alternative format without destroying the mesh?
Thanks

I added Undead parties spawning similar to bandits but I'm trying to make them belong to their own faction so they would attack outlaws too. I got the roaming undead parties to spawn, however, outlaws and undead aren't attacking each other. What am I doing wrong?

module_troops.py

Code:
  ["undead_walker","Undead Walker","Undead Walkers",tf_undead|tf_allways_fall_dead,0,0,fac_undeads,
   [itm_club],
   def_attrib|level(4),wp(20),knows_common,undead_face1, undead_face2],

module_parties.py

Code:
  ("undead_sp"   ,"test",pf_disabled|pf_is_static, no_menu, pt_none, fac_undeads,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(127, -116),[(trp_looter,15,0)]),

module_party_templates.py

Code:
  ("undead","Undead",icon_axeman|carries_goods(2),0,fac_undeads,bandit_personality,[(trp_undead_walker,30,50)]),

module_factions.py

Code:
default_kingdom_relations = [("outlaws",-0.05),("peasant_rebels", -0.1),("deserters", -0.05),("mountain_bandits", -0.02),("forest_bandits", -0.02),("undeads",-0.10)]
factions = [
  ("no_faction","No Faction",0, 0.9, [], []),
  ("commoners","Commoners",0, 0.1,[("player_faction",0.1)], []),
  ("outlaws","Outlaws", max_player_rating(-30), 0.5,[("commoners",-0.6),("player_faction",-0.15),("undeads",-1)], [], 0x888888),
# Factions before this point are hardwired into the game end their order should not be changed.

("neutral","Neutral",0, 0.1,[("player_faction",0.0)], [],0xFFFFFF),
  ("innocents","Innocents", ff_always_hide_label, 0.5,[("outlaws",-0.05)], []),
  ("merchants","Merchants", ff_always_hide_label, 0.5,[("outlaws",-0.5),], []),

("undeads","Undeads", max_player_rating(-30), 0.5,[("commoners",-0.7),("player_faction",-0.5),("outlaws",-1.0)], []),

module_scripts.py

Code:
     (try_begin),
       (store_num_parties_of_template, ":num_parties", "pt_desert_bandits"),
       (lt,":num_parties",16), #was 14 at mount&blade, 18 in warband, 16 last decision
       (store_random,":spawn_point",num_desert_bandit_spawn_points),
       (val_add,":spawn_point","p_desert_bandit_spawn_point"),
       (set_spawn_radius, 25),
       (spawn_around_party,":spawn_point","pt_desert_bandits"),
     (try_end),
	 (try_begin),
       (store_num_parties_of_template, ":num_parties", "pt_undead"),
       (lt,":num_parties",25),
       (store_random,":spawn_point",num_undead_sp),
       (val_add,":spawn_point","p_undead_sp"),
	   (set_spawn_radius, 25),	
       (spawn_around_party,":spawn_point","pt_undead"),
     (try_end),

Ibn Husayn said:
I added Undead parties spawning similar to bandits but I'm trying to make them belong to their own faction so they would attack outlaws too.

when you say that they dont attack each other you are missing some info. Are they running away from each other? Are they ignoring each other? And so on. Watch their behavior in the game (as the party description text shows what they are doing).

you may need to adjust their courage/etc if they are just afraid of attacking (not strong enough).

kalarhan said:
Ibn Husayn said:
I added Undead parties spawning similar to bandits but I'm trying to make them belong to their own faction so they would attack outlaws too.

when you say that they dont attack each other you are missing some info. Are they running away from each other? Are they ignoring each other? And so on. Watch their behavior in the game (as the party description text shows what they are doing).

you may need to adjust their courage/etc if they are just afraid of attacking (not strong enough).

They are ignoring each other. They act as they both belong to same outlaw faction.

edit: I defined
Code:
undead_personality = aggressiveness_15 | courage_15
in header_parties.py and used it for the new undead party. Now outlaws and undead are attacking each other however undead seem to get along well with kingdoms. They don't attack each other, I even witnessed them once fighting together against outlaws. I guess I'll continue tinkering with factions and AI party personalities.

edit 2: I got them to act as I intended. Thanks kalarhan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom